Help! LO straining for 3 days! Constipation for Gaviscon!

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by GeorgeyGal, Jun 5, 2011.

1. GeorgeyGal

GeorgeyGal Well-Known Member

Infant Gaviscon left LO with chronic straining, 7 hours in the night so he couldnt sleep for the past 3 nights and we have been up with him from 12.30 it is now 7am and still nothing in his nappy, he looks asleep but is making loud straining noises and thrashing about poor thing. Its day 2 of giving him lactolose, do you think it will pass soon? His last poop was just soft so I was hoping he'd be okay by now! (Even before the IG he would strain quite a bit but nothing like this)!

Last night was scary, the straining was cauing the reflex and he sounded like he was choking, he wasnt crying or anything and was too tired to take much feed which isnt like him at all!

I heard Ranitidine has 2 side effects, gas and constipation, I havent heard anyone on this board mention it though? Its only day 2 of it anyway, I know I need to give it 2 weeks.

2. missbabypo

missbabypo Mummy to Riley and Bump!

Try giving him a tiny bit of sugar disolved in water.
    It should help him open his bowels.xx

3. shellie82

shellie82 Well-Known Member

also try and get him to drink some water :)

4. jensonsmummy

jensonsmummy Well-Known Member

When my Lo was on gaviscon he was terribly constipated. The HV told me to make up his gavison in prune juice instead of water, cant remember the exact measures (use the breastfeeding instructions on the pack) and give it to him via a syringe. This seemed to do the trick cause didnt really have problems after this :)

5. bathbabe

bathbabe Mum to 3 boys

How much are you using? Id stick with just 1 per feed, no more than 6 times a day, even if LO weighs more than 10lbs.
    Also try 5ml of orange juice (any juice really just not squash) with oz of water.
    (At your LOs age id do this every other day and if constipation continues as he gets bigger you can do it more often) x