• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Help me understand if this is serious or not...

StrayCat

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new here. I am 27 weeks along and was just sent home from the hospital and put on bedrest until baby arrives. My due date is April 26th.

I was in the hospital due to some very slight bleeding and a gush of fluid. After doing a swab/culture, docs said that I have a very small rupture of membranes and a bacterial infection, so I am on antibiotics. The infection is not in the uterus. I am not leaking amniotic fluid at all so that's why they consider the rupture very small...insignificant.

They did an ultrasound last week and there was plenty of amniotic fluid around the baby and the cervix was long and closed (49mm or 4.9cms). Then they did another ultrasound this week and the amniotic fluid is the same but the cerrvix is now shorter: 27mm or 2.7 cms.....

The doctor I saw at the hospital did not seem concerned at all. He wasn't going to put me on bedrest for more than a week, long enough to take the antibiotics so the infection clears up. But I spoke to my OB/GYN and told him I do not feel comfortable going back to work as I teach 5 different grades in middle and high school and am on my feet all day. He agreed that I should be resting at home.

So, my question is....

Is this cause for concern? (the shortening of my cervix from 49mm to 27mm in one week)

TIA :)

:hugs: I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to give you my support as a fellow April 26th due date person. I hope the rest and antibiotics work well for you. Good luck.

Hi Moonbeam....thanks for taking the time to reply!

And congrats...here's to looking forward to April 26th! Do you know if it's a boy or girl? I'm having a boy! I already have a 13 yr old girl. :)

Congrats on the boy! It sounds fabulous to have one of each. :) We don't know what the little one is as it kept its legs together and bent the entire scan. So we'll just wait and see when it is born. ;) I'm excited either way since one of each would be great, but so would having two boys close in age.

Hi Straycat. SOrry to hear you have been having problems in your pregnancy. I have been there and it is very scary when things don't go to plan my sweet.

A "normal" cervical length can be anywhere between 2.8 and 5cms. It naturally shortens for every woman over the course of a pregnancy, as the uterus puts it under increasing pressure, and it slowly prepares for labour. Yours has shortened significantly in the past week, but is still within normal ranges.

It could be that your "leak" and infection had an effect, or that it has begun to shorten due to the ever increasing weight of the baby. If you had a weak cervix, then it would have shortened and dilated before now (around 24wks). It is more likely that it has reacted to the presence of infection and begun to change. As it stands at the moment, the infection is being treated and you are resting (both vital things which can and do have a direct effect on the cervix and can make it regain length - or at the very least not get any shorter)

I personally would continue to rest for the duration of your pregnancy if you can. I am a big believer in bed rest hun, and did it myself for 6 months in my last pregnancy due to a weak cervix and a previous preterm birth. Now your cervix has shown very early signs of change, resting can reverse that process and give your pregnancy the very best chance. Coupled with the antibiotic treatment, you are doing all that you can.

There have been many many women with dilated cervixes who have gone on to term solely due to resting - it really does work. Your cervix is still long enough, and closed - it is highly likely you will go on to deliver a healthy baby at term, but given your recent troubles, it is perhaps a good idea to maximise your chances by taking things easy. 2.8 could just be normal for you and your pregnancy hun, but rest can only help.

Please keep in touch, and if you have any more questions, then feel free to ask xxx

Hi Straycat. SOrry to hear you have been having problems in your pregnancy. I have been there and it is very scary when things don't go to plan my sweet.

A "normal" cervical length can be anywhere between 2.8 and 5cms. It naturally shortens for every woman over the course of a pregnancy, as the uterus puts it under increasing pressure, and it slowly prepares for labour. Yours has shortened significantly in the past week, but is still within normal ranges.

It could be that your "leak" and infection had an effect, or that it has begun to shorten due to the ever increasing weight of the baby. If you had a weak cervix, then it would have shortened and dilated before now (around 24wks). It is more likely that it has reacted to the presence of infection and begun to change. As it stands at the moment, the infection is being treated and you are resting (both vital things which can and do have a direct effect on the cervix and can make it regain length - or at the very least not get any shorter)

I personally would continue to rest for the duration of your pregnancy if you can. I am a big believer in bed rest hun, and did it myself for 6 months in my last pregnancy due to a weak cervix and a previous preterm birth. Now your cervix has shown very early signs of change, resting can reverse that process and give your pregnancy the very best chance. Coupled with the antibiotic treatment, you are doing all that you can.

There have been many many women with dilated cervixes who have gone on to term solely due to resting - it really does work. Your cervix is still long enough, and closed - it is highly likely you will go on to deliver a healthy baby at term, but given your recent troubles, it is perhaps a good idea to maximise your chances by taking things easy. 2.8 could just be normal for you and your pregnancy hun, but rest can only help.

Please keep in touch, and if you have any more questions, then feel free to ask xxx

Hi Lizzie!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and with such care! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. I will definitely be following the bedrest orders! I am worried I may go mental...any suggestions for good sites to visit while on bedrest? I am planning on catching up on my reading, and my sleep. :coffee:

Just wanted to say I hope everything works out.

I'd recommend baby and bump I can read this site for hours and as many books as you can stand. I did 5 weeks of hospital bedrest and that's how I got through it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hayley1990
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"