Help, please. Anyone had this?

Hoping girl 2

Reaction score
Ladies, please help, I'm freaking out!!!

I'm meant to be 8 +1 weeks pregnant according to LMP. My cycles are always regular, 27 days long. Got my BFP at 3 +4 weeks. Faint but got darker every day. My digital clear blue confirmed dates, 1-2 weeks then, 2-3 week after, 3+ week after that (which would go with the 3, 4, and 5 weeks pregnant counting from LMP and not conception.

I went for a reassurance scan today. Baby is only measuring 6 weeks. Heartbeat is there and apparently gestational sac also shows six weeks, rather than showing an 8 week gestational sac and a 6 week baby.

Sonographer was lovely and says there is nothing to be worried about, my dates are just off. She says I could've ovulated late (which wouldn't make sense as I wouldn't be showing a BFP at 3+4 weeks if I had ovulated two weeks later, according to that theory I would've just been ovulating then, not actually pregnant!). She also then said that perhaps baby took two weeks to travel down the tube and actually implant which could explain the two weeks' difference, but again wouldn't explain the BFP if I hadn't even implanted yet!

She kept saying that the fact the heartbeat is there is a good sign and that she can see nothing to warrant any worrying. Have another scan next week to see what's up.

However I'm devastated. Trying to make sense of dates and just can't. Have this horrible feeling they'll tell me next week my baby has died.

Anyone else there had something similar and can shed any light? Should I listen to sonographer and just believe her theories or should I start mentally preparing for the worst (whilst still hoping for the best, obviously!)?

Any help appreciated xxx

Hello didn't want to read and run. I'm not sure about the dates but it is a very good sign if there is a heartbeat. I had a blighted ovum mc in January, I should have been 9 weeks but when I went for scan it just showed a 6 week sac, no heartbeat, no baby. So if baby is there with a heartbeat I can only think it's gotta be good news xxx

Maybe your bean is just a slow grower. Its not unusual and will probably catch up throughout the pregnancy.

They didn't tell me and I didn't ask. Didn't think to ask as I never got told my hb with my DS, not in any of the scans I had, which were plenty!

It was pretty strong though, I could see it flickering even without the zooming. Sonographer also said heratbeat looked good. Didn't look particularly fast though but wasn't really counting :(

In my experience this can be the downside of early scans that are supposed to reassure us! I'm sure everything will be where it should be by your 12 week one. My lo was always at least a week/10 days behind then went ahead! Try not to stress :hugs:

I understand you are very worried, but I have a few things to mention.

1.) Yes, you can get a bfp before the baby implants. The baby does not have to implant for your body to start producing HCG. I know this for a fact because I got a bfp before I was even 4 weeks pregnant with my son, and I felt him implant.

2.) Clearblue easy is an estimate. HCG levels vary. It just goes for a concentration of HCG and estimates it. For me, my HCG more than tripled at the beginning of my last pregnancy. And it produced some very dark lines very early on. It doesn't mean that you were really that far along. The test has a rating of being up to only 45% accurate.

3.) You have a heartbeat. You have signs baby is doing great. While it is never fun to be put back from where you think you should be, at least you have that. Some people have seen just an empty sac when they thought they should be seeing baby.

I agree with PP- these things so early on are touchy. They can be great for the impatient mother, but on the flip it can be bad for the impatient mother who catches development as it's happening, which varies from person to person, including baby to baby!

That being said, you're dates are not that far off. My dd measured 13w2days at 12w4! They even talked about moving down my due date- but I was charting and new EXACTLY when I ovulated so I knew she was just measuring ahead. Babies got their own ways of growing! :)

The scan next time is just to verify that that is the case- a normal pregnancy progression.

Everything will be alright love! Try to relax stress is a killer.

I went in for my first scan and was the same as you. I should have been 10 weeks and I only measured 8 weeks 3 days. My doctor said I just ovulated late and everything was fine. My babies heartbeat was 171 and was just moving around in there! Im sure everything is just great! I was more upset that I had an extra 2 weeks of morning sickness to deal with!

Ooh meant to add that when I was (by lmp) over 5 weeks, can't remember exactly how many and had a hcg of 3160 ish they scanned me an my uterus was empty!!!!!! He just took a whole to catch up and is now a very healthy and noisy almost 15 month old :thumbup:

Thank you so much, ladies, you're giving me loads of hope :)

I'll try not to worry about it as much, and focus on the positive - my little bean has a heart beat :)

Roll on Saturday - we'll get to see our baby growing! :)

If it makes you any more at ease I was on another board this morning and a lady there is an rn and said the chances of mc after you see heartbeat is between 2-5%, so very low. Just relax and enjoy...that is if you don't have ms!

Oh that makes me feel so much better!!!!!!!!

No ms this time around, thank goodness, although at this point I'd gladly take it if it meant it was all ok ;)

Another quick question - hubby wants to get another scan on Monday (he's got the day off) mostly to reassure me that it's still there and growing, and so that I can ask about the hb. I'm tempted because it'd be lovely to get another chance to see everything is ok, but at the same time I don't know if it two days will make a difference...

Yeah I'm with you that two days won't really matter. I'd say try to wait at least a week between scans.

I went in at 7+5 and was told I am measuring at 6 weeks. I was already feeling crappy before what they would consider conception date. I've seen several people post that they measured quite a bit behind early only to catch up or surpass at their 12week scan. I don't get to go back in until 14 October! I figure right now as long as I keep feeling crappy and no bleeding, there is nothing I can do anyways. Good luck and don't stress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->