HELP - Returning to work and pumping

misspriss

Reaction score
Okay I had to establish my supply by pump when LO was in the NICU. I used a Medela Symphony at the hospital and then rented for 2 weeks once I was out. At that time, my body responded very well to the pump.

I got a Lucina Melodi Advanced from my insurance, because LO was in the NICU it was the only "hospital grade" pump they offered and that is what they send women when their baby is in the NICU, or at least that is how I understood it. They were out of the Ameda and Medela ones they sent to non-NICU moms anyway. I don't like the Lucina as good as the Medela, it seems slower and less effective, but I may be imagining it. It is slower though.

This is my second day back at work and my pump output is just not what it needs to be just to keep up with LO's feedings. LO takes about 2.75-3.25 ounces per feeding, and I pump as often as he feeds. Yesterday I got at least 3 ounces out of ever pumping session, once 4. Today I barely got 3.5 in the AM, and barely over 2 ounces at my second session. Unless my afternoon pump blows it out of the water (and I doubt it because it was my lowest producer yesterday) I will have to pump over the weekend to have enough for Monday! I don't like pumping and breastfeeding at the same time, I always worry I will deprive LO....

Do you think it is the different pump? Bad flange fit? Not used to pumping?

Will it get better, or do I need to do something different to keep from losing my supply?

Here are my options:

Keep using Lucina Melodi pump - $0
Rent Medela Symphony - for two weeks @ $40 or a month @$65
Buy Medela Pump in Style - >$200

I can't really add a pumping session, there just isn't time for it. It already takes me ~35 minutes to pump (5 to got to room and set up, 20 to pump, 7-8 to break down and clean pump parks, and a couple to put milk in fridge and get back to desk) at 3x per day, that is already over 1.5, almost 1.75 hours spend NOT working during my work day....

I currently:

1- Massage breasts during pumping. Have tried even stopping, massage/stroke/shake (read that somewhere) not much help.

2- Look at pictures of LO

3- Bring LO's clothes from the night before

I have no trouble with milk letting down, but I get just about everything I am going to get in 5-10 minutes, just slow drops after that, but I make myself pump for 20 each time in the hopes it will stimulate more...but I feel I am getting less and less each time, except a bit with the first pump in the AM.

It's just your second day back, and the first day you haven't been getting enough! :hugs: There is day to day variation in how much you will get. I wouldn't worry about it until you've had a few days with less.

Don't worry about pumping over the weekend. You won't deprive LO. He is better at removing the milk than a pump is. You could also just try sending on Monday what you pumped today. How frequently is he getting the ~3 oz bottles? Maybe he would be all right with less while he's away from you.

Keep pumping for 20 minutes even if you are not getting much. Your body will probably adjust to the pump and you may start to get a second letdown after ~15 minutes.

One important thing I would add to your list is to drink a TON of water. Or mother's milk tea. I find that that really makes a difference for me.

You are doing great -- it's not time to worry yet!!

I decided to rent the Symphony and see if it is the pump. If I get significantly better results with the different/better pump, I will explore my options. If it is relatively the same or gradually getting better, I will see what I can do.

He takes ~3.5 ounces every 3 hours, or 3 times when I am gone. I need to pump >10.5 ounces per day, I barely got 10.25 today, so probably enough for Monday, but barely.

I am going to try out the Symphony over the weekend, to beef up Monday's bottles and see how it works.

I went back to work full time on Monday and had a similar experience. Monday my output was great with 3 pumps. Tuesday it was still good, but less. Wednesday I only got a total of 10oz (need 12 a day). I did lots of research and decided to add one more pumping right as I got to work. So yesterday i pumped 4 times and was able to get 12 oz total for the day. I made sure LO fed lots last night (to try to stimulate the body for more supply need). Today I pumped another 4 times and brought home 15oz :shock:. Within two days of extra pumping, my body responded.
I would really recommend you try to add another short pump first thing in the morning... It worked for me. I feed LO at 6am and then pump at 7.15am.
I do take fenugreek capsules but I don't think they helped out a lot for me.

So, I hate dredging up an old post and all, but it's mine, and I thought I'd update.

I actually found my own old post when GOOGLING about the Lucina Melodi. Crazy.

Anyway I used the Symphony for 2 weeks, and went out and bought a Dr. Brown's Simplesse. I loved it, the technology really is nice. No suction, no pulling and tugging, it's great - when it works. I have been through (in 5 months) 5 collection kits (flanges, etc) and 2 motor units, and countless bottle seals, and it is STILL not working all the time. The parts have to be assembled perfectly, in perfect position, etc. The tubes have to be in perfect position, and the way they are set up, the flop to the side. It's a pain to wash, 10 pieces. It says dishwasher safe, but when you call to complain it isn't working the first thing they say is "well, you really shouldn't be using the dishwasher" :saywhat: Why say they are dishwasher safe then? They have a money back guarantee, and I want to take advantage of that.

So I dug the Lucina Melodi out of hiding and tried it out today. I really like it again. I dislike that it has no speed setting, and dang it is slow. But, it works. No fiddling, no worries. Only 6 parts, but they are not supposed to go in the dishwasher. Darn. Still think I will be using this one instead of the Dr. Browns.

Also, LO was getting way too much milk with too fast of flow. We had the Lansinoh mOmma, with the slow flow nipples, but he developed nipple confusion and drank a lot with those. We started using the Medela Calma the next time I went to work, and he started taking 5-7 oz per day instead of 10+, and nursed more and harder at night. Now I get reliably 10-12oz per day, and LO takes <8 oz, so I have a small freezer stash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->