Help weaning from co-sleeping and constant night nursing

readynwilling

Jadyn & Tyler's Mom
Reaction score
Tyler is 11m old. I am 9 weeks preggo and T is breastfed and we co-sleep. My milk is dwindling, and he doesn't have the patience during the day to "wait" for a letdown. so his milk consumption during the day is LOW. However when he is sleeping, he sucks until milk comes and gets several let downs/night. This seems to affected my supply somewhat on its own. However - im getting ZERO sleep, as he is nursing 5-6 times a night and my nipples are very sore.

Also I want to get him into the crib. But he REFUSES. Screams and cries :( I am ready to do some CIO, hubby is not. I sidecar'd the crib to the bed with rail off. So now, i am nursing him laying in his crib, when he is OUT OUT i can slowly sneak away. But he wakes 30 mins later and FREAKS. He will not settle after that original wake up. he thinks he's been duped and will only sleep in our arms.

I feel hesitant to get him on a bottle at 1 year, but he wont drink from sippy cups. I need him to drink more milk. I wouldn't feel bad about a bottle of milk at night time, if i made it part of the routine.

I NEED HELP!

Hi

I was in a similar position.

I was due to go back to work when my son was 11.5 months.

I planned to continue feeding morning and night when I returned to work but the thought of getting up in morning and nursing and then trying to get us all, including my daughter who at that time was under age 3, it just sounded too much for me.

We co-slept and I nursed him to sleep at night and for naps all the time. One day, just 5 days before my return to work I decided enough! I fed him downstairs before bed then took him up in my arms and put him in his own cot in his own room (he had never been in it!)

I stayed with him while he cried, he was very sleepy but cried and cried, then I did leave him to cry but within a few mins he was asleep.

He and I both had the best nights sleep ever!!

Also, he only had milk from me so it was a worry that he wouldnt accept any milk from a cup etc. I got a soft-spouted tommee tippee beaker and he drank down 7oz cows milk within about 40 seconds!

The day I put him in his own cot was when I stopped breastfeeding completely though, not sure if you still want to feed during the day or what?

Good luck!

Ugh, my daughter was exactly the same. Honestly, I tried several different night weaning techniques (gentle ones) and nothing worked. She got better on her own and now only wakes once at night, but it seriously took time and it was nothing I did...

My guy is almost 17 months and still nurses to sleep for naps and bed. We also bed share. He wakes all night long. I haven't tried to night wean him. I was going to try this summer but decided against it. I was pregnant up until last week and my milk was really low. He mostly comfort nursed but he really needed it. I hoped to tandem nurse so I decided not to try to night wean since my milk was so low and he was barely nursing in the day.

Good luck finding a solution. I don't have any ideas but I wanted to let you know you're not alone with a kiddo who nurses all night long. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->