Here we go again- supply issues :( UPDATE :)

After her meconium poops my lo didnt pooh for 5days it was so worrying. Now shes an every other day kinda girl! Xxx

And what did the doctor have to say about that? My health nurse seems to be quite concerned if there's no poopy diaper every single day. She right away assumes that my baby isn't getting enough milk!

They werent too worried as she was bfing and as she had already passed poops we knew her insides worked. Seriously breastfed babies dont all poo everyday especially newborns! Hv should know that! Mine said every 3 days is totally acceptable!
When she did go it was huuuuuuuge!

They werent too worried as she was bfing and as she had already passed poops we knew her insides worked. Seriously breastfed babies dont all poo everyday especially newborns! Hv should know that! Mine said every 3 days is totally acceptable!
When she did go it was huuuuuuuge!

But I'm assuming your lo was gaining weight like she should?!

My baby only gained last week with the ff top ups, I've stopped the ff top ups since Friday and she hasen't put on weight all weekend :cry: and she didn't poop in 48 hours.
Everything I read tells me she must not get enough calories.
Instead of starting the top ups again, would block feeding be an idea to explore? That might help her get more of the fatty hindmilk!? :shrug:

She is fine otherwise. Lots of wet diapers, settled in between feeds, milk bubbles in her mouth after feedings.

Mine lost 8% birth weight and tok about 3wks to get back to birth weight. I had low supply levels to begin with too, I had to supplement witj formula until my supply picked up. I found it really hard trusti g that she was eating enough, I only stopped top ups 2wks ago. I pumped after morning feed as that was only time I could fit it in. I slowly reduced ff and replaced with ebm. Its the most difficult thing in the world not knowing if you can give them enough. Try and hang in there but dont beat yourself up over combi feeding or switching to ff. Xxxx hugs

Thank You merristems!
I'm definately not going to switch to formula :nope:
However if she doesn't start pooping and putting on weight I may have no choice but to top up again. So far I'm not able to pump much. I would much rather top up with ebm than with ff but there's only so much I can do.

Did you slowly cut down the formula top ups? If you take one out every day or every couple of days it gives your boobies time to adjust to make up for the difference.

Did you slowly cut down the formula top ups? If you take one out every day or every couple of days it gives your boobies time to adjust to make up for the difference.

I probably cut down too quickly. I've only topped up for 5 days. The first day she got 9 one ounce top ups to boost her weight. Then it kinda worked out to be 2 ounces less a day. On Friday she got 3 one ounce top ups and than nothing since Saturday.
But I also felt like she was very happy after her regular feeds, she swallowed nicely, slept for 2-3 hours in between. I didn't think she needed top ups any more. If she would only start pooping again.... :wacko:
I'll get a baby scale this afternoon to keep track of her weight.

Hello Ladies,
Just thought I give a little update now that my baby is 1 month old :cloud9:

long story short: everything worked out great :thumbup:
We stopped the (little amounts of) ff supplements when Anna was 2 weeks old.
I've been nursing her on demand and she is doing brilliantly :happydance:
She is gaining an ounce a day, like she is supposed to and weights 9 pounds and 4 ounces/ 4.17 kg as of today. She has gained nearly 1 kg (2 pounds) since she stopped losing weight after birth.
i'm so proud and happy!
We're now having the breast feeding relationship I had envisioned for us. Though the constant broken sleep and frequent cluster feeding sessions are a challenge at times, I wouldn't change it for the world.

My little girl is thriving because of me- I'm one super proud Mama

Thanks for all the ongoing support :flower:

That's fantastic! Sometimes when cutting out top ups it can take a short while for your supply to catch up but it sounds like everything settled down nicely in your case. Go mama! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->