He's into that, "into everything" phase, and I can barely keep up!

AlwaysPraying

Mom of two!
Reaction score
He's 14.5 months old and into everything. He has run of the whole main floor, everything is baby proofed so he can't get into anything bad, but he's wild! Everyone has always said that he is such a high energy kid and always going. We thought it was cute and funny, it's the only kid we know! I do realize he's a busy kid, but we've always managed to entertain him, and he plays by himself really well.

I'm just starting to get really tired. I can't keep up and I'm loosing his attention with things that he used to like. I'm finding that I'm turing to the tv more and more and I don't like that, but I just don't' know what to do. When he's awake his feet are moving. He literally does not sit still. The only time he does is when a particular tv show is on, and only the one show, even then I contain him in his playpen.

Is this a phase, or is this my sons personality? All the nurses, doctors, family and friends say their exhausted after spending anytime with us. He's a really good kid, he doesn't do bad things or get into bad things, but just busy!

Sounds like my LO. She doesn't stop all day except when she's looking around for trouble, you can see in her face she is looking for something she shouldn't be doing :lol: Not in a naughty way just mischievous.
It is exhausting and by the time she goes to bed I haven't got the energy to do anything. I'm hoping it's just a phase but at the same time not because she is a lot of fun.

May not be what you want to hear but my son is the same and he's almost 3! I really do think it's personality. even now not many things hold his attention for log and he is STILL going through cupboards, or trying to!

yep my LO is just like this too. I think it's normal for toddlers right? this is my first so i don't know. i can't even imagine her sitting still. she is only still when asleep. hehe.

I guess what surprises me is other mothers tell me he's busy. I figured that it was a toddler thing, and now that he's walking his area to go crazy in is just wider, but not sure. It doesn't really matter, but it's exhausting. I feel like there's not enough here for him to do. He'll only play with a toy for a minute before moving on. He is good in the car and in the stroller for the most part, so we shop a lot, lol.

This is just like my DS.... Not, it isn't a phase - he will always be an active "high energy" kid", but I personally find that I have phases of adjustment (to changes in his weight/activity/strength) where I don't cope as well.... Then I catch up and everything is fine. At the moment I am finding it rough.... I am just worn out all of the time: he is STTN (so that isn't the problem), but physically everything is hard work. :(

Is your DS into Megabloks yet? LO has developed abscission with this (I think because it is still physical activity), but it developed after 14 months. Keep persevering.

Other than that, get out as much as you can (park, play gyms, play groups, swimming, walking the streets... Anything). It will physically and mentally stimulate him AND help him to sleep. My DS sleeps brilliantly (yet is "all go" the rest of the day)....

I think it is a fairly normal toddler thing to a certain extent, but the other mums in my antenatal group notice it in DS - they say he is more "intense"....

Might not help me being 37.... I am fit, but I feel "old" at the moment....

I feel knackered mOst days too, with my Lo. He is just go go go, and other Parents almost look sorry for me, that's how mad he is! Like above poster, he is good in the car /stroller but when he is out, he is OUT! Lol throw a baby into the mix, and I really have zero energy!

Lol just be glad you only have one. No in fairness Sam isnt high energy I just thank my lucky stars that they aren't both like fynn in that way. I did find it gets easier once they start following direction for me that was about 18 months xxxx

Might not help me being 37.... I am fit, but I feel "old" at the moment....

I'm the same age! It's true I feel old too. It's exhausting keeping up with a wild one!

I do love it though. He's so full of wonder. Last night I had to put the tv on and put him in his play pen so I could get the dishes done. I was at my wits end!! Today is a new day though.

We should have a club for high energy kids!! My moms friend told me a month after he was born that he was going to be a handful. I'll never forget that. I asked her why she thought so and she said "you can see it in his eyes he's just rearing to go". If I only knew then!!

Ha isn't it funny how some people know - all the nurses in NICU when the boys were born said Fynn would be running us off our feet and Sam wouldn't be so demanding x

Yay, another one for the "Oldie Club" :thumbup: :haha:

I sometimes wonder what's up with me personally: I went from 35 (just - which didn't feel too old), pregnant (which takes a bit out of you), to having a C Section, to breastfeeding for 11 months (which takes the rest out of you), to 37 with a "high energy" toddler who I race around after like a mad woman. Am not sure if I am a knackered mum with a "high energy toddler" or just old! :wacko:

Madly I want to TTC no 2. God, please (if we are lucky enough) let it be a LITTLE more mellow! :cloud9: (Vicky - as with all mums with twins - hats off to you :thumbup: ).

I didn't exactly know what I was in for, but I knew I had a "survivor" on my hands (didn't read "high energy" from that....). Alex was also one of those babies that was born to thrive. He was also strong (could flip from tummy to back at 6 weeks old - soon lost that talent, though, as his weight ballooned :haha: ) and he was born KNOWING how to breastfeed. He used to eat like a pig (which was great because he slept like an angel after tanking himself up). He has always been determined and always watches people.

I like his drive, energy, determination and love of life (at high speed) and in many ways it is a GOOD thing (he should do well in life) as long as I can just about keep up with him!

Children like this are lucky to have good parents (like those on this thread). They really do need energy, patience and understanding to keep up with them and keep their energy in a positive direction (and not doing too much mischief)...

QT

I'm the same age! It's true I feel old too. It's exhausting keeping up with a wild one!

I do love it though. He's so full of wonder. Last night I had to put the tv on and put him in his play pen so I could get the dishes done. I was at my wits end!! Today is a new day though.

We should have a club for high energy kids!! My moms friend told me a month after he was born that he was going to be a handful. I'll never forget that. I asked her why she thought so and she said "you can see it in his eyes he's just rearing to go". If I only knew then!!

Oohh let me join the oldie club please I am 39 in April x

Oohh let me join the oldie club please I am 39 in April x

You don't look it! :)

I made the mistake of straying into the WTT forum here a short while ago... come to the conclusion that I am not a demographic fit for that forum in any way :nope: (an "oldie" mum with a child already has a very different mindset....)

Nice to discover that I am not the only late 30s mum on this forum. Thank you :)

Awww thank you xxxxx

One of the mmany advantages of twins all done in one gO. It was a big conversation point when we first started discussing ttc as I didn't want just one and was already 36. Nature had her own plan though as we conceived the boys in the first month of trying and were expecting a long wait and just one!!!!

Also QT and Always I always kind of imagined you bot late 20s early 30s

Thanks Vicky :)

Yes, you did a good thing "doing it all in one go": blooming hard work I imagine (have a freind with twins a similar age to our LOs and I know that she has found it very hard work at times), but "two for the price of one" (no need to go through pregnancy, birth, nappies, sleepless nights again)....

I LOVED being pregnant and would love to be pregnant again, BUT I wish I was a bit younger!

QT

I think it would be great to have a over 35 mom section. There's a teen parenting section, so why not an "oldie mom" section?! :) It's true, when you get pregnant in your 30's it's a little different than when your in your 20's. Not better or worse, just different. I tell people that I can really feel how old I was when I was pregnant. I just knew in my gut that it would have been a totally different ride if I was pregnant and 21. My body was just that much older, that much more pooped out! It wasn't a bad pregnancy, just a tired one. I could party all night and go to work the next day all through my 20's. Now, I have a rough day if I have two glasses of wine with dinner! lol!!

Now, I have a rough day if I have two glasses of wine with dinner! lol!!

You manage TWO glasses of wine with dinner?! :haha:

I really didn't have a bad pregnancy - apart from some sort of circulation problem (DS must have been lying on my VC or something) and I couldn't walk more than 200 yards without sitting down for the 2nd half of my pregnancy - but I just felt so absolutely wasted after he was born (since I didn't go into labour, I can't even blame that!)....

I think that pregnancy takes so much out of your body (vitamins and minerals), that - combines with being less youthful - it took quite a toll...

Thinking that pregnancy with DS still a toddler could be VERY hard work! Still, pregnancy is such a blessing, I will take it if I can get it :cloud9:

QT

Now, I have a rough day if I have two glasses of wine with dinner! lol!!

You manage TWO glasses of wine with dinner?! :haha:

Ok, that's only on a very exciting night!! LOL!

I always say that he's in my life right when he's supposed to be. I was one of those kids that just knew I'd be a young mom and I just knew I'd have lots of kids. It just felt right in my guts that that is what was going to happen. I always wanted a "family" not just a baby, so I wasn't going to get pregnant young just to fulfil my need, and that marriage didn't happen until my 30's, so that's how I ended up here. It's a far stretch from what I envisioned but it's my story! I honestly don't even know if I"ll have more. It sounds so strange, but life is pretty much perfect, and it is a challenge everyday, I'm not sure I'm ready to add to it. Because my guy is so busy, I couldn't even fathom being pregnant and chasing him around right now!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->