high blood pressure after birth

Klipsa

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I had my baby 8 days ago at 40 weeks exactly.
I've had high BP issues during my first pregnancy and also in this one, although they didn't put me on any medication, just monitored closely in third trimester, when it started to shoot up.
Now 8 days post partum I've been readmitted to hospital because my BP has skyrocketed to 168/118 yesterday. It has never been so high before.
I've also had pretty badly swollen ankles until yesterday. It's strange that BP went up once my swelling had gone down.
My bloods and urine are fine.
I've been put on 200mg labetalol three times a day however I still feel heaviness in my head and sometimes struggle to take a deep breath in. Could be anxiety as I am totally freaked about having a stroke or a heart attack :(
Did anyone have similar experience and how long did it take for BP to setlle down?
Please tell me I am going to be ok :(

No experience here really. I had high blood pressure with my first and second pregnancies but not my 3rd.

I dont have any advice for pp high blood pressure though. You can try doing slow deep breathing exercises to lower your blood pressure. Google it and you can get more information.

I'm sure you will be fine though hun! :hugs: take it one day at a time.

I had high BP from 30 weeks with my first and fully expected it to go when he was born. No such luck, I too was sent back to hospital with high BP. Twice. They just upped my meds and left me to it pretty much. It seems like a lifetime ago now, I remember feeling really upset and angry it had continued. It settled to a less frightening rate after a couple of weeks but I was on meds for a year.

My gp thought perhaps there was an element of stress and anxiety contributing to my BP remaining high, my ds had severe reflux. I don't know when it may have come down without that in the mix. After a year it all settled and I haven't been on meds since. My ds is 3 next month. Funny enough my sons reflux settled at a year too.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know your not alone, it is likely your BP will settle soon, especially with labetalol, I was on the same and slowly weaned off them over that year xxx

Edited - just seen how old this is, sorry! X

I developed past partum hughblood pressure with my first at 6 weeks pp and was on meds for 1 year after with my second i developed pre-e at 36 eeks was induced blood pressure returned to normal but developed post part preeclampsia againat the 6 week mark im still on bp meds at 6 months pp. It seems to last about a year or longer breastfeeding will extend this as our bodies are still producing the higher hormone levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->