• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

His feeding is getting worse and worse :(

xZoeyx

Reaction score
I'm at the end of my tether, I'm so tired, and so stressed.

My little boy is 6 weeks, 1 day. He was doing 2oz every 2 hours which although not great, it was routine which made things easier, and during the night he would have a 4 hour sleep when first put too bed, then would do 3 hours then 2, which again, was fine!

He is now drinking anything from 2-4oz every 2-3 hours during day, and at night will drink 2oz every 1.5-2 hours, his normal night time routine is completely shot now and he will no longer go 4 hours in first stretch. I'm getting no sleep atall, I'm so tired :,( I feel myself getting angry with him because I'm tired. Originally I blamed it on a growth spurt even though that's not till 7 weeks, but it's not a growth spurt as this has been going on for 3-4 days now.

I cannot get him to take more milk in one feeding in the hope he goes longer because once he's had what he wants, he absolutely refuses to take the bottle and will be sick if I do manage to get the
Bottle in his mouth.

What can I do, why Is this suddenly happening? I don't think I can cope with this sudden constant cluster feeding!

If it was me id put him on hungry baby it seems like although hes only having the ounces he wants put it not supressing his hunger babies can only take 2-3 ounces at that age hungry baby is slightyly thick an will satify him and hopefully he will sleep a little longer for you, my friend had the same experience but she was breast feeding and her son was always on her boob she barely slept because of it and ended up formula feeding and puttin him on hungry baby and he was a different child

I've tried hungry baby and it makes no difference atall, it also causes him strong stomach cramps as it's not easily digested and he screams.

According to doctor, and the back of the milk tins, he should be on 5oz? I know the tins aren't always accurate and are only guidelines but 2oz is a little different to 5.

I really don't know what to do anymore :(

Ignore the tins, what they say is standardised and every baby is different.

Your baby is feeding on demand and having as much as he can, hence why he is sick when you give him too much. Can your partner help with some of the night feeds to give you a bit if a rest?

If your worried I would phone your HV but go be honest it just sounds like normal newborn behaviour to me x

Sorry you seem to be having a rough time, sleep deprivation is the worst.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like you have many options, I wouldn't try and force the feeding if he is full as it's distressing for the both of you. The tins are only a guide so I wouldn't swear by them, my LO didn't drink 5oz til she was around 5/6 months. She was a cluster feeder and it was hard, especially whilst recovering from a c-section but it does get easier.

I'm not sure If you've been advised babies can go 4 hours but I'd say it is unrealistic expectations this soon.*They have tiny stomachs so grazing is normal in the earlier days.

In the early weeks my partner would get up for the earlier feeds around 5/6am so I could have a couple of hours. Is this an option? Do you have much help?

Has he been checked for anything like tongue tie? What bottles are you using?

Hungry baby milk is not the answer IMO. Isn't it supposed to be to delay weaning, not to trick LO into less frequent feeds by filling his tummy?

My LO is a real grazer too. He's not as bad at night but during the day he'll have a couple of oz, chill for an hour then want some more. I'm hoping it's because I'm combi feeding but I guess we'll see when I finally switch over. No real suggestions but I sympathise!

I definitely agree with getting DH involved as much as possible. I go to bed early and let DH do a dream feed around 11pm so I can get a few hours sleep in a block. I'd be a wreck without that.

He's not tongue tie etc, it appears he's totally changing his routine.
Since yesterday he's been going 2.5-3 hours between 3-4oz feeds, but now at night he's up every 1- 1.5 wanting 2oz! It's like his days and nights have swapped or something.

As for partner doing a feed, it doesn't really work at night because I wake up to Jacob just whimpering so once I'm awake it's easier for me to just do it as partner has no confidence still (yes I have given him plenty of opportunities). Also my partner won't change a nappy, and I won't leave him in a wet nappy for a feed, he gets changed with every feed and often in between.

I just don't know what to do cos at night im getting literally no sleep.

It may just be a phase...my son went through this at 6 weeks but it lasted only a week. After that he started giving me 2-2.5 hr gaps at night that slowly kept increasing

What is your day to day routine like? If you think he's swapping his days and nights over make sure you help him learn the difference. Get out a lot in the day, even just walks. Lots of interaction at awake times, lots of noise etc. Make sure night time is different, dont turn lights on, minimal interaction. If he hasnt pood or is very wet I wouldnt change his nappy. If your using disposable nappies they are very absorbant and shouldn't effect his skin. We didnt change nappies in the night from about 6-8 weeks ish. Sorry if you already do this just trying to think of ideas for you.

Im sorry if this sounds harsh but your partner needs to step up. I assume you wouldn't have had a child with a man who wasn't capable to feed a child or change a nappy. Your both parents you should share the responsibility. He should definitely be helping out more.

Hope things improve soon.

Just hang in there and get some support as well from your partner or family. 2-4oz per feed at 6 weeks is perfectly normal. Gosh, I don't think my daughter was taking 4 oz. until after about 3 months! As is feeding every 2-3 hours. The thing about babies is they are always changing just because he was doing one thing a few weeks ago, doesn't mean he'll be doing the same thing now, and he won't be doing what he is now in a few weeks. I found that waking every 2 ish hours at night was completely normal and to be expected. Heck, sometimes my 15 month old still does it, though no longer because she's hungry. My advice would be to get some support for the nights. Your husband can help with a feed just as easily as you can. It's so much easier to go to work exhausted than to be at home caring for a baby exhausted after a rough night (trust, me, I've done both). My husband was up helping with every single night feed until our daughter night weaned at 9 months, and sometimes he would do them for me so I could get some rest. Try alternating so that you each get a long block of sleep at least once a night. At this point, I was going to bed around 7pm and my husband would have our daughter until sometime around 12-1am and then bring her up to me, so that I could get a good solid few hours of sleep. Try it. You'll feel a lot more human in the morning. Also, just have faith that this won't last forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->