Hiya :) Anyone WTT because of debt??

Kacie

I have a little girl! xx
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've posted a couple of introductions but thought I would put one in here too as I feel i will be here for a while.

My name is Kacie and I am 25 years old.. my partner is a bit older than me but he is also the reason we are WTT. Or at least i though he was for months and months and months and.. well, you get the idea..

I know he is not keen on the idea of children as he feels he will lose his 'independence' and all the quirks that make his life good (poker nights, holidays, sleep etc.) But he has now said that he wants one child (and one only) in a couple of years' time. It has taken me a while to accept this but now I realise that this will give us time to get out of some debt and save up for our tropical wedding before baby comes into the picture.

As much as I would love for baby to already be in the picture when we get married, I can now fully appreciate the need to get out of debt first... so this is now my offical reason for WTT.

Speaking of which, I am now off to work to pay off a bit more!

Is anyone else out there WTT because of debt? Do you think it is a good reason to wait?

Thank you :):kiss:

xx

I'm in a somewhat similar situation so I think your reason is legitimate. A baby is costly and if you already have a lot of financial burdens it may be overwhelming to add a child to that; at least that's how I see it (hubby feels differently). I have student loan debt and I would really prefer to have my loans paid off prior to TTC. I still owe quite a bit though so it might not happen (I'll probably be paying these loans for at least another 2 years). My ideal situation would be to have the student loans paid off, purchase our first home, and have at least 4 months of salary stashed away prior to having a baby. However with me turning 30 this year, hubby is starting to get anxious. He has wanted a baby for some time and since he is 4 years older than I am he is ready to have his first child so we may be TTC sooner than later.

Thanks for your reply Mrs October. I can understand you wanting to clear those loans off.. I also have student loans to clear but I am not in a job that earns enough to pay them off so I've had to put the loan to the back of my mind.. I am still looking for a job that earns enough but I am focusing on the student overdraft and credit card debts first. I think they will be clear by march next year. After that Hubby wants to focus on saving for wedding at the end of October 2010 (call him hubby already). Then I think we will start TTC.. or at least NTNP and see where that takes us. I think my student loans will be with me for a loooooong time so i don't want them to be the reason we don't start trying.

Good luck with your loans. It does sound ideal to have all debts clear and that would be the same for me although sometimes things don't work out exactly as we plan... but they still work out :flower:

x

I have debts which are slowly coming down and no they wont be fully paid off when we TTC, but I came to the conclusion that if I waited untill they were all paid off this would be in 7 years and I most certainly want children before then! plus to have a holiday, but a new car, or up-date things in the house I always borrow the money it's just my way of living, I'm not a saver at all !!!!

I understand what you're saying Wish2bmum,
I think I'll always be in debt of some sort... isn't that what a mortgage is after all? And so much is bought on finance.. I was worried at first that my hubby was using debt as an excuse because he didn't want anymore children (he has two from previous marriage) but I can understand that starting from minus may be a lot harder than waiting the year and starting from almost £0.

I still worry that he will find another reason not to ttc when we become debt clear, but I will cross that bridge when it comes.
xx

We have huge debts and this was a major factor in us waiting (as well as a number of other things!). I think it depends on the level of debts tbh. We were really drowning in debt and so with the stress and worry it just wouldnt have been a good idea. However, we have entered into a debt management plan, and feel so much more in control of our debts and so once I have lost a little weight, we are just gonna go for it. I know it is going to be a struggle, but now we're in control we feel that we will be able to cope and we just couldnt wait for the 8 years it's gonna take to pay off the debts as we will be well into our 30s and although I don't think there is anything wrong with people trying then, for us, we want to be younger when we start, especially as we have no idea how long it will take and we just don't want to wait that long xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->