• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

It's nice to know I'm not the only one in a flat. And I know my midwife must've been in one of the ones in my building before, as she mentioned something about the parking situation here (I've sorted something for that); and she never said, "Oooh, I think those flats are too small". So, it should be ok. I'm due to be seen Tuesday at the surgery (we'll book a scan then as well), and then I think she'll probably see me in a week to a week and a half at home with the results of the scan and do the assessment at the same time.

Im in a two bed flat on the second floor aswell.....newish build....my flat isnt very big at all and i havent had my assessment yet.

I will not have them tell me anything about the size of the flat. Women have given birth in cars, back of ambulances, and small sitting rooms so no-one is going to tell me i cant give birth here!! LOL

Im not having a pool though - for one i cant afford one either to buy or hire plus, when i was in labour with Maley i got in the bath and it was worse for me! I would have liked the option this time round as my SPD is getting really bad and the water may help but I will just have to hope my bed is ok!

hypothetical question for you all....

If you went into labour at 36 weeks 6 days (ie the day before you are "allowed" to deliver at home) would you go into hospital or insist on staying at home?

I have my final decision at 36+5 and if it's a yes I can't see us going in if labour starts that day or the next. I know the hospital needs a cut off point, but for a matter of hours it seems silly.

I would. Not to say you would actually have the baby the day before anyway as some labours go on for hours and hours!

Im really hoping for a homebirth this time too ive had a hospital brth and a birthcentre irth too so this feels the next step to me...babys lying transverse at the moment and i have a scan next month to check my placenta has moved so hopefully neither of these stop me

You still have ten weeks to go so baby can move by then!

Hoping you can have one! x

hypothetical question for you all....

If you went into labour at 36 weeks 6 days (ie the day before you are "allowed" to deliver at home) would you go into hospital or insist on staying at home?

I have my final decision at 36+5 and if it's a yes I can't see us going in if labour starts that day or the next. I know the hospital needs a cut off point, but for a matter of hours it seems silly.

I would insist on staying at home. In some areas, they won't agree to deliver you at home until 38 weeks, which I absolutely cannot see a reason for. In my area, it's 37-41.5 weeks. But if I went into labour a day or two shy of 37 weeks, I'd stay at home and see how it goes (and then expect them to send me a midwife even if it was before 37 weeks) - a day or two is negligible. In my line of work, I know it's not likely to make a difference. My 20 week scan put me back by 2 days from what my 12 week scan had me as, so I'd use that as justification if I had to. On the other hand, if I go over, I'll happily schedule an induction for 42 weeks but no sooner (I really want to avoid an induction), so for that half a week they say they won't come out for a home birth, I'd stay home and still expect them to.

If you read up-thread, deej23 has just posted a link; and I posted a couple of links as well a few pages back.

Ooooh, MandaAnda, where's your new blinkie from?? I like it a lot!!

I would stay at home if I'm a few days before 37 I think. TBH, they have changed my date a few days either way several times, so I'd just try and convince them!!xx

Ooooh, MandaAnda, where's your new blinkie from?? I like it a lot!!

I would stay at home if I'm a few days before 37 I think. TBH, they have changed my date a few days either way several times, so I'd just try and convince them!!xx

Post #178 - from deej23 (thanks again). She has some really good ones!

I've decided to crack on with preparing for the home birth. I've been avoiding talking about it and havent had the birth pool out since it arrived because I wanted to give OH more time to get used to the idea. Well time is ticking by and I want to get enthused about my birth! So I got told him I didnt mind if he didnt want to come to my MW appointment on wednesday when we're due to discuss the home birth. He was a bit quiet but didnt say anything either way. So this afternoon he was in the dining room doing some work and I asked if he minded me inflating the pool (the air pump is noisy). He said go ahead so I did. I did it wrong first time by using the wrong valve and it was taking ages. He came in when he heard but pump stop and he must have been timing it from the other room because he was saying it was X mins and was looking at the valves with me. Then he was talking about us blowing it up and leaving it in the garage or spare room so it was ready to move in to position easily.....I felt like this was a mini break through......he was being positive and showing an interest.....watch this space....

The great news is that the La Bassine pool takes next to no time to inflate!! 5 mins max! I know the water will be a different story! It fits perfectly in the centre of the kitchen with room to walk around it at either side. At my hypnobirthing class last night we did a breathing / relaxation using a kitchen visualisation which was great - I'll be using that one again as I hopefully will spend some of my labour there so it will help me to get really relaxed in the pool. :)

Oh, MM, that sounds very positive!!
My hubby us just being grumpy this eve!! :(

I have just had my 34wk check and my MW thinks baby has dropped a little (hence pelvic pain/pressure) and my FH measurement has gone down a little (she thinks due to head being lower down).
However, she does still think this baby could be a bit of a big 'un, so although she is VERY pro homebirth, her biggest fear would be shoulder dystocia.
So the conclusion was 'wait and see!!' and if we think bubba's big - she refer me for a scan :) xxxx

MM I had that pool and to fill it took about 25 mins. It's a lot longer to empty though! I loved the couple of 'wet' runs we had with it, I just sat in it watching TV with a cup of tea, so relaxing!

It took about 30 mins to fill our La Bassine Lisa, but it will depend on your boiler etc. We have a combi so it heats as needed. If you have a header tank then it will have to be refilled part way through filling the pool. But that shouldn't really be a problem during a "normal" labour lol!

I was curious about you mentioning having an assessment etc. What have you been told about this?

Some areas do a risk assessment where they visit your home, but it is to check for working conditions for them, not the safety of your home for you. They don't always make that clear, it's one of the little tricks they use to get out of providing a HB service is some areas.

Not all areas do these though, they didn't here for my HB, the first time they came to my home was when I was in labour.

Also, they don't get to decide if you are a "suitable candidate for HB". They can advise you but it is always your choice where you give birth.

HTH x

Well I just went and collected my FREE heat retaining pool cover! :D This insulation company have been so helpful! It's the wife who much deal with their ebay business so she told her hubby what I wanted and when I got there, he loaded up 4 times as much as I needed!! I havent had to cut it or anything!

Marley - we have done everything BUT fill it. My eldest got in it last night when she got home from school and commented how comfy it is. Hebe said 'WOW!' ....which to be fair is her reaction to everything ATM :lol: A few people have said about 30 mins to fill it. I'm impressed with the inflation time - 5 mins absolute max.

Shifter - the assessment is just with the MW. she didnt mention a home visit but I guess she might tomorrow. She is very pro home birth and has been to my house several times so I'm hoping that will all be pretty straight forward. ATM the only thing i could envisage stopping me having a HB is the position of the baby. I'm guessing they wont even got there if he stays breech. I think he's turned head down but I cant be sure. Hebe was back to back and I dont know what they think about that in a HB - It certainly didnt make any difference to her birth......I'll let you know what the assessment consisted of tomorrow.

On another positive note, OH was keen to inflate the pool again and try out the new 'cover'. He also tested the water pump for me and flushed the hose through with Milton fluid.....so I feel like he's getting involved more and without my prompting....:happydance:

I saw my MW this morning. She seemed happy that I was still keen on a HB. My wee, BP, fundal height and baby's heart rate were all fine. He's still cephalic presentation and not engaged. She's arranged a presentation scan for the end of next week for me (she told me, "I'm going to tell them on the phone that I'm not sure which part is presenting, although I'm sure it's his head. I just want to make sure you're able to get this done.") Also, she'll be visiting me at home for the first time the afternoon after the scan and bringing all the home birth stuff.

Not long now!

Yaay eek!! This thread makes me so exited about it all :lol:

Re: HB 'Assessment'; Mine was done during a normal appointment! The MW had originally arranged to come out to our home, but given the bad weather a couple of weeks ago, it didn't happen and she filled out the paperwork at my GP's surgery. She had even suggested that we do it over the phone!

The assessment itself was split into sections of 'practicalities' 'antenatal' 'labour' and 'postnatal'. Example points in each section:

Practicalities
- Do we have good heating/lighting?
- Can we ensure there is an area available for neo-natal resuscitation if required?
- Towels etc to hand

Antenatal
- If I bleed (more than spotting) prior to labour, HB is not recommended
- If baby is in an unstable lie, HB not recommended
- If waters break - 24 hours to get into labour, before risk of infection

Labour
- My BP is unstable and rising, transfer would be advised
- Baby heart rate erratic/rising, transfer would be advised
- Mec in amniotic fluid
- Cord prolapse

Post Natal
- Neonatal resuscitation
- Blood loss from mother etc

It was all very common sense but I did have to sign to say I agree to these points. As it was done remotely, my 'home' itself had no sway as to whether we could go ahead with HB or not. I could be very unhygienic and live in a filthy house for all she knows!

Also, just to say I haven't had any equipment 'dropped off' here, and from what I understand our MW's bring it with them when they arrive. Each area is different again though I guess...

I hope everyones plans are coming along nicely. Great news on the subtle change of direction from your husband Lisa! Bet you're cheering inside! :)

Manda - your MW sounds great. The reassurance of that scan will be fab. It will be nice to know that everything has come together to help you to pull it off! :D

I am cheering inside Hayley!! Just a question for you (and anyone else who might know) what exactly is classed as an 'unstable lie' - breech or transverse, fair enough but is posterior ( back to back ) under this? Anyone know?

I think posterior is fine, as he'd still be cephalic presentation and come out the right way - it just may take longer, so they may warn you about that. Just try some of the positions over the next few weeks to ensure he's in a good position himself. Obviously, if he's breech or transverse, they won't recommend a HB.

My last baby was LOP from about 28 wks and never turned. I tried everything going! I have to say I dont think it made a difference to my labour or birth. She turned just as she was born but I didnt tear or anything. I'd be quite happy to deliver sunny side up again....I'd be gutted if they said it was a reason not to have a HB :( Although I've been very good at making sure I use better positioning this time.

Lisa i wouldnt have though back to back would make a difference (though i wouldnt know :dohh:) Its only meant to be harder for the mother right??

That would be amazing if they could give everyone who wanted a HB a scan before to check where the baby was etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->