• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Are you ready Rach....:lol: Basically you steam and dry the placenta, then grind it to a powder and put it in little capsules - you know like you get herbal supplements in.....
Mammals eat the placenta and it's thought to have fabulous healing and nourishing properties for the mother - in particular it's thought to help prevent baby blues :)

https://placentabenefits.info/about.asp

I've been reading about placenta encapsulation today - how spooky!! I'm not sure what I'll do. I did contemplate a lotus birth, but I have a terrier.....was worried about him being attracted to it if you get my gist?! haha. WHat a hideous thought - although OH keeps saying we should feed it to the dog?! xx

urgh! I dont think i could do all that faffing.....if i had a garden i would probably bury it....but as i dont.....the midwives can have it!

I have heard of people cooking it and eating it :sick:

:hi:

I planned a home birth but was let down by inexperienced MWs :grr:

I'll be planning a HB again next time. It's great to see so many BnBers planning to have their babies at home :thumbup:

Lisa - I had a La Bassinne pool and it was fab! For me the best thing about planning a HB was having that pool for the last ~6 weeks of pregnancy! I used it about once a week from then just to have a really nice soak, our bath, although a large corner bath, was no where near sufficient for me and my extensive bump. The pool was lovely and relaxing :cloud9:

I have skimmed the thread but didn't see if anyone had suggested joining the yahoo homebirth group? I did and found it to be a wonderful support network and hive of information. It may be especially useful for people facing resistance from their MWs or silly ideas such as they won't support HB after 41.5 weeks :dohh:

I can't wait to read all your lovely HB stories :)

Oh and we also did hypnobirthing self-taught but will do a Natal Hypnotherapy course next time. DH was fully supportive of the HB but when things did go wibbly on the day he found it difficult. For nervous birth partners a doula may be extra beneficial. Not only will she be able to offer steadfast support to you but she may help bolster partners if things don't go 100% smoothly. We will most likely be hiring an IM next time, but if we can't for whatever reason then we will hire a doula.

thought you may like that girls:)

https://www.babyandbump.com/birth-a...-alexander-david-james-12-january-2010-a.html

Miel, that's a lovely story. Thanks for the link. I'm going to show DH the photos - it all looks so relaxed. And it's lovely to hear another person say how great TENS machines are, and it makes me so glad I've bought mine!

Well I broached the subject of the MW appointment to discuss HB with OH tonight. I said I'd like him to be there and he said yes he would but that he wouldnt have any questions....he said the decision was made and that he would support what I want. It still feels like he's reluctant but I'm hopeful that the MW appointment will help reassure him a bit.

My next job is to set up the pool and see how long it takes etc and how it fits in the kitchen. I think I've decided that we wont have the girls in the house. I'll arrange for them to go elsewhere as I would have if we'd gone to the birth centre. That way in the event of a transfer my eldest wont panic and I will also be able to relax properly without worrying about them. I also think that me and OH started this journey on our own when we conceived this baby, so it kind of makes sense for it to be about us as a couple as we finish the journey when he's born :)

Am I the only one planning a homebirth in a flat? It's a 2-bedroom (but on the 2nd floor, so I don't think I'll get a birth pool), open plan, newish one. I'm really hoping the midwife says it's ok.

The thing with the birth pool in a flat.....I read that it's probably fine because if you imagined having a party with people round, you wouldnt worry about 10 people being stood in your kitchen.....that made sense to me but then again I dont have that worry....

If I owned the flat, I'd probably be able to rationalise it that way. But we privately rent, so I think I'd be too scared.

Yeah that's probably what I'd think too in the circumstances.

I know a bit early but I would love a home birth with this one. I have broached the subject with DH previously and he didn't like the idea but I continue doing research anyway:winkwink: I brought it up again tonight and told him that I think it would be more beneficial for all of us for me to have a home birth and would like to at least discuss it with the midwife and hopefully get some reading material for him to go through. I'd really like to try hypnobirthing to but we can't afford to go on the course so looking at the Maggie Howell CDs. Has any one tried them? if so was it good or are there better ones out there?

Hiya. I have been sent over to you from 3rd tri!
At the beginning of my pregnancy I was all set to have a home birth, had my heart set on it, but at booking appointment with midwife she said i was too overweight and would probably have loads of complications during the pregnancy, making me high risk.

However, 37 weeks later, nothing has gone wrong (fingers crossed) and it doesnt appear anything will.

I am currently under shared care with both midwife and consultant. Midwife is happy to go along with whatever decision i make however, consultant has changed his mind several times initially stating at hospital birth without troo much medical intervention to a c section being required and then changing his mind saying they wouldnt give me a c section as i dont need one!

As of yet he has not given me any real reason why a homebirth would be unsuitable, other than my weight!

I also have asthma and M.E, both of which have been better during pregnancy and are well controlled.

Do you ladies think I should push for a home birth unless consultant can give me a real reason why bubs would be more at risk?

Sorry if thats a bit of a long! post!!

Bubbles - re Hypnobirthing. I am doing the classes which cost £180 here. I'm using my HIP Grant to cover the costs :) I'm following the traditional 'Mongan Method' so I cant tell you about the CDs you've mentioned but the Mongan book and CD/s are excellent so far....I'll report back after my birth!

zkt09 - as I understand it, being overweight alone isnt a reason to not have a HB. I also dont think asthma is but I dont know anything about ME.
Personally if it were me. I'd ask for a specific appointment to discuss HB. I'd have a list of questions you want answering, such as how asthma / ME are an issue and exactly why they wont support a HB, if that's what they are saying. If they are still umming and ahhing then I'd say that you'd like to plan for a HB but would obviously listen to their concerns should anything change and in the event of you starting your labour at home, you would be sensible and not refuse a transfer if it were suggested. Are they generally pro-HB in your area? I'd ask if they have many mums opting for it. Sometimes it's not that they think there is a medical reason, it's more that they just arent keen in that area. The have an obligation to help you achieve it if at all possible and provide a MW so I'd push for them to at least go through the assessment with you. HTH :)

I wonder what the essential items are for a home birth......with all things baby related, bet there are plenty of gimmicky things you dont really need....

Question to mum's that have already home birthed:

Exactly how much mess was there? I think my hubby is imagining we will need re carpeting throughout the whole house......:lol:

My midwife said all i need is 4 towels, a plastic sheet and a bucket. (And plenty of coffee and lollies for her :haha:) x
oh and a form of heating for baby so it's not cold for her x

i am still undecided on whether I want a home-birth but have discussd it with my midwife and she said I don't need to make a decision now- she will come and see me when I'm in labour and see how I am doing. i will stay at home as long as I can and if things are going really well i stay and have her at home :) x

Lisa there is hardly any mess at all! This is what my OH was worried about too!!
The midwifes bring all the things they need I bought a cheap shower curtain for 99p from wilkinsons and had that down under all of the midwifes sheets etc. My parents came in 30 minutes after Thomas was born and they said they wouldn't even have known that I had him at home it looked so 'normal' :D xx

i am still undecided on whether I want a home-birth but have discussd it with my midwife and she said I don't need to make a decision now- she will come and see me when I'm in labour and see how I am doing. i will stay at home as long as I can and if things are going really well i stay and have her at home :) x

Wont she need to do an assessment with you? What about the home birth kit? The MWs generally leave a whole bunch of stuff at your house a few weeks before in preparation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->