• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

i am still undecided on whether I want a home-birth but have discussd it with my midwife and she said I don't need to make a decision now- she will come and see me when I'm in labour and see how I am doing. i will stay at home as long as I can and if things are going really well i stay and have her at home :) x

Wont she need to do an assessment with you? What about the home birth kit? The MWs generally leave a whole bunch of stuff at your house a few weeks before in preparation.

I'm not sure what she will do, she may do an assessment (what do they do in an assessment?). So basically we will go ahead with it but if i want to back out and go to hospital at the time then i can. But then i spose it's like that with any homebirth. I'm sure we will discuss it more at my 34 or 36 week appointment when we discuss the birth plan etc. We only talked about it briefly at the end of my appointment yesterday when i said i was thinking about it :hugs: x

Ah right. Yes it's the same with everyone. You dont HAVE to stay home if you've planned a HB but if you dont plan one they wont let you then go home from the BC or hospital to give birth! So yeah, it's best to plan for it if you think you might want to. At any point you can decide you dont want to be at home for what ever reason.

You'll probably complete a HB assessment for suitability and then they will officially 'book' it. I think once you're done that they will arrange to drop off the HB kit - this has all the technical bits and bobs that the MW will or might need so she doesnt have to cart tonnes of gear around with her all the time.

I'm doing my assessment and getting it booked at my appointment on wednesday - I cant wait! :happydance:

oh cool thanks :)

And wow that must be exciting! I can't wait for the next few weeks when we can do the planning stuff. :dance: i think we will do it at 36 weeks as I have a scan at 35 weeks to see if my placenta has moved and I don't need a c-section. Seems the reasonable thing to do lol x

Hello Zkt09!!
Glad you found the thread :)

Miss Muffett - I'm the same, I think we all are. I am going to plan for a HB, and intend to be at home if possible, but if I need to go to hospital or think I'm not coping, then I will transfer to hospital, but I have to say - the idea of being tucked up in your own bed within an hour of giving birth sounds wonderful - and I know my home is MRSA free ;) xxxx

Am I the only one planning a homebirth in a flat? It's a 2-bedroom (but on the 2nd floor, so I don't think I'll get a birth pool), open plan, newish one. I'm really hoping the midwife says it's ok.

I will be having my HB in a 2 bedroom. We own it and we're on the first floor so I will be using a birth pool. A lot of birth pools have separate chambers so if one punctures you have time to get out and empty it.

Am I the only one planning a homebirth in a flat? It's a 2-bedroom (but on the 2nd floor, so I don't think I'll get a birth pool), open plan, newish one. I'm really hoping the midwife says it's ok.

We are in a ground floor flat of a medium size block with communal entrance. At booking the midwife did a quick assessment of the flat and couldn't see a problem.

We where thinking of going for a pool but decided against it (not anything to do with being in a flat). If we had gone for it with a pool it would have been https://www.birthsupport.org.uk/ourshop/cat_134796-Birth-Pool-La-Bassine.html which says it only weighs "465kg - the weight of 6-8 people huddled together".

Bubbles - re Hypnobirthing. I am doing the classes which cost £180 here. I'm using my HIP Grant to cover the costs :) I'm following the traditional 'Mongan Method' so I cant tell you about the CDs you've mentioned but the Mongan book and CD/s are excellent so far....I'll report back after my birth!

Thanks, I had a look into the classes and the nearest one was over £200 otherwise we would have to pay for travel aswell and it just wouldn't be affordable with me being a SAHM. I'm off to have a look at the Mongan method and get a list of questions for MW appointment

It's nice to know I'm not the only one in a flat. And I know my midwife must've been in one of the ones in my building before, as she mentioned something about the parking situation here (I've sorted something for that); and she never said, "Oooh, I think those flats are too small". So, it should be ok. I'm due to be seen Tuesday at the surgery (we'll book a scan then as well), and then I think she'll probably see me in a week to a week and a half at home with the results of the scan and do the assessment at the same time.

Is it standard to have a scan to check the position before a HB Manda or is that something you are having?

In my area, it's standard to check before the HB. He's been noted as cephalic presentation since about 22 weeks, but the midwife said that they arrange a scan for 36/37 weeks to ensure that he is indeed head down. If it weren't for the HB, I wouldn't have had it.

Thanks. My baby was breech at my last appointment but obviously there's still plenty of time for him to turn. I did wonder if they'd double check that :)

I had a hb with my youngest who's now almost 8. TTC just now but will do the same with any subsequent babies barring true contraindications.

My baby at the moment is in the head down LOA position (keeps changing from LOA to ROA over the last few weeks) which is perfect for birth, hopefully she stays like that, but ofcourse she can still move if she wants to be a little bugger lol x

Fingers crossed she stays that way! I delivered my last baby who was LOP with no problems at all. I will be asking but I'd hope that posterior positioning wouldnt stop me having a HB.....

For anyone interested this is a download of Rikki Lake's The Business of Being Born.

Well worth downloading uTorrent to watch it!

https://isohunt.com/torrent_details/91991913/the+business+of+being+born?tab=summary

Here's where you get the software:

https://topdrawerdownloads.com/download/104773

For anyone interested this is a download of Rikki Lake's The Business of Being Born.

Well worth downloading uTorrent to watch it!

https://isohunt.com/torrent_details/91991913/the+business+of+being+born?tab=summary

Here's where you get the software:

https://topdrawerdownloads.com/download/104773

Hi ladies I was just catching up on some of the posts. I read in one someone asking for a blikie I found a great site that has some really good ones. Heres the link
https://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll372/vividbirth/natural childbirth blinkies/
u need to copy and paste the image one at the bottom on to your signature in the user cp bit of the forum.
Hope you like them my new ones are at the bottom.:)

hypothetical question for you all....

If you went into labour at 36 weeks 6 days (ie the day before you are "allowed" to deliver at home) would you go into hospital or insist on staying at home?

I have my final decision at 36+5 and if it's a yes I can't see us going in if labour starts that day or the next. I know the hospital needs a cut off point, but for a matter of hours it seems silly.

Im really hoping for a homebirth this time too ive had a hospital brth and a birthcentre irth too so this feels the next step to me...babys lying transverse at the moment and i have a scan next month to check my placenta has moved so hopefully neither of these stop me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->