Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Thanks i think i might do that...save a few pennies :lol:

Lou - as Nat said it's not a question of being 'allowed' or 'letting' you have a HB. They have a duty to attend you, where ever you are. You can be advised but not 'told' what to do.

we seem to have a culture of thinking we are to be told how/where/when to birth. We need to take it back, even if we want to birth in hospital, we dont need telling how it's going to be.

I had a prime example of this this morning at the bus stop! Was talking to one of the other Mums while waiting for the boys to get picked up, and she was in complete shock at me having a home birth. Her exact words were 'I didn't think you were allowed to have one'.

Just shows how rare it is around here, women do not know their rights at all, and we certainly don't get told the choice we have when we're newly pregnant!

Janiepops - I hear that a lot! "oh you were allowed with your first?? I didn't think they let you" and things very similar. The one that really grates on me is "you're so brave" because it just goes to show how unnaturally many people view birth, it is seen as a medical procedure. I don't see myself as brave at all, just educated!

Lol I've just had a total rant about this on facebook! so fed up with folk saying I'm brave, telling me everything that will go wrong, and how much it's gonna hurt and loving that they can say 'but ohhhhhh, you can't have an epidural at home!'

Going ever so slightly OT here, I was also thinking last night, when I had Luke, it was another prime example of how hospital can result in unnecessary intervention, I actually think I'd pushed it to the back of my mind! I had had an epidural, not my choice, I was pretty much told to have it...and anyways, once I got to pushing stage, they noticed he was having slight decellarations (sp) and the next thing I knew, there was loads of folk and equipment wheeled in, my feet were in stirrups, and they were preparing me for a ventouse delivery! My Mum says I turned to her, said 'fuck that' and in 2 pushes he was crowning! So where was the need for all those people and all that equipment?!?! Ugh, makes me hate hospitals even more.

I have no idea what made me remember that......lol

Just been browsing all things to do with hypnobirthing, and came across these two sites - first one has the Hynobirthing affirmations and rainbow relaxation mp3's to listen to, and the second has a beach relaxation mp3 download from birthsense. Both free!!!

https://www.archive.org/details/HypnoBirthing
https://www.birthsense.co.uk/Shop-C11/Hypnotherapy-CDs-MP3s-P22

Someone may have posted these already, so sorry if you have!!!

Thanks for those Janiepops :)

I had my MW appt today, home visit and mood assessment.... she has taken more blood to check my iron and said they would prefer me to go into hosp. if it is still low. I told her I would have to give it a lot of thought, because I would be giving up a lot of the benefits of staying at home and she said that if I still wanted to be at home, that was fine, I just had to sign some forms to say I was choosing to do it against medical advice... IF my Hb comes back low. If it comes back 11 or higher it's a non-issue.

I feel a bit nervous for some reason, maybe because once I've signed the forms then if the sh*t does hit the fan it's all on my head.... But on the other hand I'm confident that I've done my homework on this one and I'm no going to be putting myself at risk....and I'm just glad and relieved that I'm not going to have to argue over the HB, or be pressured to go to hosp.

My iron never got to 11 (9.8 ish) and there was never an issue made of it in terms of the HB. I said that I'd have a managed 3rd stage if they felt the syntometrine would be beneficial after assessing my blood loss. I lost an average amount so they didnt bother and I had a 100% physiological 3rd stage. They never even re checked my iron so it cant be THAT big a deal!

Oh and any hypnobirthers I have both CDs on my iTunes for anyone wanting them :)

Oh and any hypnobirthers I have both CDs on my iTunes for anyone wanting them :)

Ooooh are these different to the other ones I've posted up there? Can you tell I'm cramming it all in at the last minute lol :haha:

Everyone's saying the same to me :( Either that i'm mad, looking like i'm a bad mum or going wow thats brave :grr:

Though we're not THAT far away from each other i guess

I am tired of peoples comments as well. I've had everything from your brave, surprise as my "uterus hasn't been tested yet", your crazy for trying to be a hero (I should take any drugs I can get as fast as I can), etc. And a lot of bad comments on home birth and natural birth have come from people I haven't even bothered telling because they would go insane (talk about awkward moments, lol).

Oh Gina - the drugs thing! I got told several times "there are no medals for having no pain relief"

I knoooooooooow that...I just do not fancy someone stickin a huge needle in my back thankyou!

It never ceases to amaze me the way the majority of people see birth!

Hi Ladies,

I've spoken to my midwife today about my intention to home birth and she seems really happy for me!

She says she has to come around to my house to see me and has arranged to come on sunday morn.

Will she be 'assessing' the suitability of my home for birth? And if so what do they look at?

I plan to have a water delivery and i'm not yet sure which to go for, heated or not?

Anyone got any experience on either?

The heated ones are not cheap but it will be my last birth so if they are better then i will stretch to it.....

Thanks to all that reply!!!!

I'm still not sure what they check for at the home visits....I asked my MW if they needed to do one and she said no :shrug:

As far as pools I had the La Bassine and it's a very popular one. We started to fill it at around 9am after my waters broke and filled it with just hot water. We covered it with some insulation stuff that I got for free from a local company - it was a semi ridged material, similar to bubble wrap but with a foil/insulated covering like this >> pool cover material.

I didnt get in it until 8pm and we had to cool it down! I was in there 3 hours and we scooped out a few buckets of water and added some cold twice :) Personally I wouldnt say heated is necessary.

Oh oh oh and just wanted to add.... Peanut is HEAD DOWN. :thumbup: Not long to go now, I couldn't be any more excited.... Feels like six Christmases in one approaching!

Oh Gina - the drugs thing! I got told several times "there are no medals for having no pain relief"

I knoooooooooow that...I just do not fancy someone stickin a huge needle in my back thankyou!

It never ceases to amaze me the way the majority of people see birth!

I hear you... I find it crazy that hardly anyone believes that we are capable of handling birth naturally. The strangest is when it came from my aunt. She had a reaction to her epidural and it didn't lead to good things... so when she was acting like woman who would turn one down were crazy I just didn't get it. :shrug: (I haven't told her we're planning a natural birth, a home birth or that we're using a midwife.)

I managed to speak to a couple of the hypnobirthing folk at the babyshow here, and overheard one lady who was heavily pregnant singing the praises of her last hypnobirth. I am hopefully going to book mine soon. I was planning on buying a new wedding ring, but I might leave that until baby is born and keep my spare ££££ for my classes and my pool etc :lol:

Ohhh my midwife comes round tomorrow to drop off my home birth kit! I hope she's not assessing anything, not that there is anything wrong with our place but it is up a huge flight of stairs hehe :) I'm so excited, after tomorrow the baby could be born at any time and will be at home! Yay - so in celebration and just to make sure baby doesn't come today and ruin it I'm planning a day spent on the couch :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->