Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Any one got any advice or comments on this sudden shift in position???

Mine was boogying about into all sorts of positions until 37 weeks, until it got head down. And even now I still think it is swinging around left/right back/front. They can turn even in labour, so I think it is perfectly normal. The forward leaning positions are meant to be good (she says while lolling back on the sofa!). Basically if you think about it as the spine being the heaviest bit, if you spend more time upright or leaning forward then the baby is more likely to swing round so the spine is at the front. The physio at antenatal classes said to us that this is why the encourage forward leaning birthing positions as well, to make sure of good positioning at that stage.

Can anyone shead any light on this as my iron is naturally low and very rare i can give blood because of it. (i try twice a yr and in 10 yrs i have given just 2 pints)

What have you been given to try and combat it so far? Mine was a little low (prob about the same as yours) I am on liquid iron, liquid folic acid, and vitamin C tablets twice a day. The Vit C is meant to help with absorption. Tea and coffee hamper it. Liquid is meant to be more easily absorbed and easier on the stomach than the tablets, although I'm just on it as I'm crap at taking tablets! So I'm on that and the baked beans, watercress, black pudding and orange juice!

For reference now that I'm on the supplements (only since 37 weeks) my midwife doesn't want to test me again, she is just trusting that the supplements will do their job.

If yours is always low, and is soooo marginal to their 'limit' then I would take the 'can't have a homebirth' with a big pinch of salt. It may be a guideline they have, and they can advise you that they would rather it be higher, but I don't believe they can actually ban you.

This page is good on low iron counts and homebirth:

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/hb.htm

Glad you have your kit and the home visit went well!

Thank you for your reply and it has helped reassure me on several things.

I was phoned up after the results of my bloods from the 28 wk appt and they said to come in for a script for iron tablets but i have so much trouble on the toilet i said i would use spatone which is a supp i have used in the past with no ill effects on the throne..... :blush:

I havent been remembering to take the spatone every day and i know i can take 2 a day which i usually have with a glass of pure orange.

I know i should now make sure i have the 2 a day recommended for pregnancy and it should boost the levels over the next 4 wks.

I am due to give my 34 wk bloods tomw so not sure if there will be any difference in iron in the last 6 wks or not...:shrug:

Thank you for the info about position of baby. I was getting concerned about baby twisting round and becoming back to back unless i spent my evenings on all fours :wacko: I was doing it last night and its not the best position to be in for any length of time.....

Baby is starting to hurt down below when it has a good move around, and i forgot just how uncomfortable it is (been 6 1/2 yrs since DS was born..)

Weight estimated at 5 1/5 lb now and fundus measurements are above the centile chart, not sure how accurate that is but i didnt think my bubs would be above average weight tbh so i remain sceptical on that estimate.

Just hope i get the labour i wish for this time,...... it was horrendous last time, due to poor position when decending the pelvis :nope:

I've just started reading HypnoBirthing by Marie Mongan and wanted to let you all know that so far, it's fantastic! It's making so much sense :)

I've just started reading HypnoBirthing by Marie Mongan and wanted to let you all know that so far, it's fantastic! It's making so much sense :)

:thumbup: glad youre enjoying it - I am a huge hypnobirth fan :D

I'm starting a four week free course on Monday (I doubt I'll finish it because I'm due 6th June) but I don't think FOB will be coming. Do you know if that will matter? It's something I really, really want to do but he's a chemistry nut so is more of a medication for labour kind of person. My Mum will be at the birth as well but I'm worried that I can't do it just me... do you think I could just direct them on what to do at the time?

If you can you really need one of your birth partners with you. You are sooooooooooo lucky to get some free tuition!! You wont be able to direct anyone if you are hypnobirthing. Your birth partner/s become your voice as you will be in the zone and most likely not talking at all. They need to read the book as a minimum I'd say :)

Thank you - I'll make sure Mum knows exactly what I've been told in the classes and get her to read the book.

I was so happy to hear about the free course, it's a shame I didn't find out sooner. The only other one I'd found was £300!

I paid £180 and that was cheap compared to lots of the prices girls here have been quoted.
It's really important that you brief them well about how you want them to be and what to say/not to say. ;)

I've just had a little practice with the breathing techniques and it's very similar to the meditation I use for my anxiety attacks. Will need to brief FOB on how to do the light touch massage and I think that'll help things along even if I can't get him to do the rest! The only bit I don't quite get is 'breathing the baby out' but I suppose there's no way to know what that's going to feel like until it happens... the best I can do is give it a go and if all else fails I'll just have to push.

The visualisation stuff is really interesting - I've had gas & air before both in hospital and at raves (naughty!) and really think it might help with that as I do tend to go very 'inwards' and find it quite spiritual... is it known to hinder HypnoBirthing at all?

I've just had a little practice with the breathing techniques and it's very similar to the meditation I use for my anxiety attacks. Will need to brief FOB on how to do the light touch massage and I think that'll help things along even if I can't get him to do the rest! The only bit I don't quite get is 'breathing the baby out' but I suppose there's no way to know what that's going to feel like until it happens... the best I can do is give it a go and if all else fails I'll just have to push.

The visualisation stuff is really interesting - I've had gas & air before both in hospital and at raves (naughty!) and really think it might help with that as I do tend to go very 'inwards' and find it quite spiritual... is it known to hinder HypnoBirthing at all?

MM advises to try it when going for a poo - chin down, and "breathe down" on the out breath. You'll know if you're doing it right when.... well I don't have to paint you a picture :blush: you might not have got to that bit yet :thumbup:

MM advises to try it when going for a poo - chin down, and "breathe down" on the out breath. You'll know if you're doing it right when.... well I don't have to paint you a picture :blush: you might not have got to that bit yet :thumbup:

I'll give it a go but I haven't been 'performing well' in that area for a few days :blush:. Perhaps if I get into the right frame of mind it might help! :haha:

I'll give it a go but I haven't been 'performing well' in that area for a few days :blush:. Perhaps if I get into the right frame of mind it might help! :haha:

I guess babies aren't the only things that come when they are ready.... :haha:

I found lots of chocolate helped me. :D

I have a small question.... This has been discussed already, but it's kinda hard now to look back over the thread, it's got so big!

I've got a box for the Birth Day, but there isn't much in it at the mo.... I don't want to go mad and get loads of tack we don't need, but I don't want to NOT get something essential, iykwim. Any help? What were you REALLY glad you had.... or what did you wish you'd had?

Dopey - they will cover the breathing down in your classes and you can practice when you have a poo but not till about 38 wks really.

Madasa - Straws!! For drinking in weird and wonderful positions and energy drinks or snacks were the things I really wished I'd had. In the box there were covers and sheets, maternity pads, the baby's basic stuff, PJs etc so in the event of transfer it was easy to pack me a bag.

Just a quick one ladies - my waters broke about 2am this morning and had a bloody show since. No contractions as yet. Have called mw who is coming out in a bit to check me over.

Really praying the contractions come on relatively soon now so they don't try and get me into hospital!!

Cannot believe it looks like it is happening............!!

Just a quick one ladies - my waters broke about 2am this morning and had a bloody show since. No contractions as yet. Have called mw who is coming out in a bit to check me over.

Really praying the contractions come on relatively soon now so they don't try and get me into hospital!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Amazing! So excited for you :D Hope those contractions start soon for you, sending lots of labour dust your way!

xx

Yay :happydance::happydance::happydance:

So exciting -keep us updated!!!!

xxxx

OMG!!!! Mine went at 8am and nothing happened all day....the MW said she would book me for induction at 8am the next day but also said she 'couldnt make me' go in :winkwink:

I decided I wasnt risking it so after doing nothing to get things going I bounced on my ball like mad and by 6pm I got things going :D

Good luck!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->