Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Hmm, maybe I'll take that angle, thank you!

I read Hypnobirthing (Mongan) and I've got the affirmations, rainbow relaxation etc. which I listen to, but I'm not a hardcore hynobirth-er! I don't practise the relaxation or breathing stuff as much as I "should" and I haven't bothered with perineal massage.... I've sort of cherry picked the bits I think will be most helpful to me!

I think that's how most people do it - even my 'teacher' said that's how she used Hypno. Your MW doesnt need to know that ;) Oh and perineal massage has no proven benefits so I wouldnt worry about not doing that either :)

Hi ladies

Just come back from a 'meet the midwives' session at the sure start centre and just had to share how good it was!

The home birth team in Npton have been up and running for just four weeks and they do this weekly session so that you get to meet ALL of the midwives that could possibly come out to you during labour. They were all so supportive of anyone's ideas and it has made me feel that are MWs out there that really do want people to have the HB experience. (Sorry to anyone who is struggling with their MW)

Also found out that Npton has a homebirth rate of 6%, one of the highest in the country. With any luck this will continue throughout the country! x

...i also wanted to talk about applying for MA as my employer cant pay me SMP.

Just wanted to pop in quickly to say that, if your employer can't pay you SMP, it's them that needs to fill in a form (SMP1) to give to you. They also need to give you your MatB1 back, and you have to fill in another form as well and send it off to your designated JobCentre Plus. Until about 3 weeks ago, I was fully expecting to get SMP, but the NHS has recently found a loophole so that it doesn't come under continuous service, so my current employer doesn't have to pay it to me, so I'm applying/waiting for MA to be sorted now.

Hope that helps. :thumbup:

Totally random, but Manda I love your breastfeeding blinkies. :)

Thanks, Gina. I nicked them off one of the girls' Photobuckets, and I found that by searching the blinkie/siggy sub-forum.

Hmm, maybe I'll take that angle, thank you!

I read Hypnobirthing (Mongan) and I've got the affirmations, rainbow relaxation etc. which I listen to, but I'm not a hardcore hynobirth-er! I don't practise the relaxation or breathing stuff as much as I "should" and I haven't bothered with perineal massage.... I've sort of cherry picked the bits I think will be most helpful to me!

I think that's how most people do it - even my 'teacher' said that's how she used Hypno. Your MW doesnt need to know that ;) Oh and perineal massage has no proven benefits so I wouldnt worry about not doing that either :)

Which is why I ain't using it! ;)

Other mammals don't do it - our bodies are BUILT to birth babies! Our tissues are designed to be stretchy. The atmosphere, being relaxed and confident, having privacy respected etc etc.... all much more important than poking around in there beforehand, IMO :D

My mum made me buy the massage oil the other day... it's too blimmin' hard to reach and just felt weird trying to be honest!

If you are GOING to do it, olive oil is fine :) But yeah, if this was an essential practise it wouldn't be so danged difficult to reach!!

I'm going to get some olive oil...even if it doesn't ACTUALLY do anything, I think it'll help with my mentality :winkwink:

MW gave me the order form for my birth kit today :happydance: so we'll probably order that soon... She is coming to do a home visit next week, at our new place!

x

I think my DH is looking forward to doing it for me! :) Sorry if that's TMI...

I think my DH is looking forward to doing it for me! :) Sorry if that's TMI...

:lol: I was actually going to say something like that... Gives my DH something to do as well, so he can feel like he's preparing and not just sitting in the sidelines, iykwim?

xx

My OH is totally grossed out by the idea of doing that :haha:

Does anyone else have awful dreams about everything going wrong?? :nope:

My OH is totally grossed out by the idea of doing that :haha:

Does anyone else have awful dreams about everything going wrong?? :nope:

OMG yes i do!

I dreamed that i had to have a section cause my waters went but didnt go into spontanious labour.

I was so upset because i didnt get the skin to skin afterwards.

They whisked baby away and brought shim back swaddled and gave me a quick look before handing to daddy.

Icouldnt imagine it being worse than that.

Skin to skin for me is SO important this time.

I didnt hold my boy for 2hours last time cause of being in stirrups and waiting to be stitched.

Who else is fearing the unknown???

I've just noticed on page 1 that there is only 8 home birth hopefuls before me

EEEEEKKKKKK!!!!!!

I cant believe its that close now!!!!!!!

Hey everyone :)

Just a quick post baby is making whimpering sounds haha. Not taking to BF very well at all.. infact he keeps vomiting up my colostrum :( But we will persist.

Anyway so my cx started 6.30am on the 19th. They were totally fine and 30s -1m long about every 7 mins. I was feeling fine just exceptionally tired.

Went to my midwife at 2pm - she said she was going to do an internal, which I consented to even tho originally I didn't want to have any. Straight away before she had even done anything my waters broke all over the place - I was in total shock and kind of mad because I thought she had done it but really she hadn't.

Anyway my bp was sky high. So she said she wasn't confident I could have him at home and needed to go to hosp for monitoring. I was super mega pissed at this point and the car ride there was HELL because my cx got way harder and I was tryna calm myself down so my bp could go down. Also my parents were driving me who are anti home birth so it was all a bit much.

Anyway got there and got into the labour ward and had ctg and bp taken... which turned out to be perfectly fine. the dr said I had to wait for my bloods but they came back - I pretty much begged to go home and they said OK. Even though I knew the car ride was gonna be terrible because I was cx almost every 2 mins. I don't think the CTG was picking it up otherwise im sure they wouldn't have let me home.

Anyway poor DH drove me home not a short drive one of the most painful bits haha. Got home and MW came round. Finally agreed to another internal because they wouldn't bring gas & air without knowing how far I was along and I was getting scared. I was only 4cm so I was a bit pissed off. This was 8pm I think. The cx were getting really bad and I was starting to doubt my ability to get thru them. Anyway I tried to keep walking around - I was so tired that I was dosing in between but then when I did that the next one would just be so much worse, so agony trying to stay awake and deal with everything. CX still coming every 2 mins.

Finally gas&air came at about 9pm. I used it for about 10 more contractions and started to feel the urge to push. So the midwives came back in the room about 30 mins later and I said they could do a very quick internal just to see if my cervix was fully dialated. Which it was and so they said I could push whenever. i was thinking yay just a few pushes and the baby will be out!! Anyway pushing out the babys head was just indescribably painful for me because they made me wait and wait and wait so I wouldn't tear and my god. Anyway he was born into the world at 11.10pm, all that waiting when he was crowning = no stitches or tears and he was 7lb 5oz and 48cm long.

Had skin to skin immediately and waited about 30 mins for the cord to be cut, placenta came of its own accord 30 mins after that after some big pushes on my part.

All the best for everyone who has yet to give birth xxx
There are some photos on my fb now I'll try stick them here later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->