Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

I hope I'm not giving the impression that I'm worried about being unable to deliver a 'big' baby! My last baby was 8lb 11oz and was easier to deliver than my 7lb 10oz first baby! Mine and OH's family tend to have bigger babies. In fact Hebe was on the smaller side. My Grandma had all 8/9lb plus babies. My sister and I were 7lbers but my mother smoked with both of us....My MIL had 9lb 4 and 9lb 5 babies...and she and her brothers were 10lbers. It doesnt concern me really I just wonder if they will make an issue of it if I want to go for a vaginal breech delivery.....

I think it's me that is the nervous one with regards a big baby, I was explaining why I'm so scared....!!
I hope your lo turns for you. By what week do they make you decide (in regards C-Section or natural breech delivery??) sorry, that may be a silly question, but I haven't been told, as at the last few appointments bubs has been head down xxxx

I think it's me that is the nervous one with regards a big baby, I was explaining why I'm so scared....!!
I hope your lo turns for you. By what week do they make you decide (in regards C-Section or natural breech delivery??) sorry, that may be a silly question, but I haven't been told, as at the last few appointments bubs has been head down xxxx

Aww :hugs:

My MW said that I dont have to decide until the last minute. If he's still breech at 38wks they will book the c-section for 39 weeks. If I go into labour before that, they will check me and if he's head down I get to go home for the birth and if he's not then I can go to the hospital and have a go at a normal delivery. I guess I wont know if they will put the pressure on until we get to that point. I'm back feeling optimistic that he's going to turn in time....maybe not by the next appointment but I think he will at some point. :)

on the subject of being over weight and having a big baby...from my understanding, its not necessarily being over weight that causes really big babies (and therefore the pos of sholder issues) its that being overweight raises ur chances of having GD and also there is a link to overweightness and a diet containing high amounts of sugars etc (something abt excess sugar causing a rush of insulin which is a growth hormone and can cause an abnormally large baby). If u have no problems with ur blood sugar levels or GD and u don't live of a diat of gummy bears (altho having said that i did eat a shocking amount of pic and miz when i was pregnant!) then there is really no reason to panic. I am overweight, i'm a size 20 and i have a history of PCOS which r all factors that put u at greater risk of GD but my GD test came back fine so there was nothing to worry abt...just by having a 'high chance' of developing GD doesn't mean u have to worry if u don't actually have it!
i was told by the head MW that there was no reason to b worried abt weight being an issue (she came to 'assess me' after i declined my consultants appointment) She was very supportive of my homebirth plans and said she has seen many larger ladies have perfectly successful homebirths.
most of my scans showed Kian to b a funny, fat little shape...His head was apparently massive with an above average tummy and below average legs (i pictured a little budda with a huge head when i saw the scan results!) He didn't look like that when he was born...i don't have great faith in grwoth scans. I think they scar women unecessarily!

If u haven't had any probs with blood pressure, blood sugar/GD then theres no reason to fear a giant baby (i know its natural to panic over everything but try not to hun)

and as for SPD and homebirth...its actually one of the best reasons to have a homebirth. Water is great 4 helping u labour and give birth with SPD and a hospital birthing pool cannot b guaranteed but one at home can (and u don't have to wait until ur 'allowed' to get in ur one at home...i laboured in mine 4 ages) as homebirth.org says an epidural is not good.

Mervs mum: have u checked out spinning babies? i dunno if theres anything on there that could encourage LO to turn?

I've been Spinning like mad!! :lol: I knew about the Spinning Babies website from Hebe being back to back. I've been doing the inversion at my sister's today....my 2 yr old nephew cracked me round the back of the head with Buzz Lightyear while I was upside down....:dohh:

Thank you for the info on the SPD situation girls.

My SPD has really cranked up!!! I can no longer stand for too long, sit for too long, drive, cannot turn over in bed and cannot lay on my back! Even getting in the bath is painful!

I just got a text from my midwife yesterday saying she is leaving and i will be having another midwife who i will meet next week. I hope she is more experienced as my last midwife was very young and didnt know what SPD was!!?

I was concerned about whether me having SPD would affect a homebirth although i would still be reluctant to go to hospital.

Someone said about the second stage labour being quicker (SPD being an advantage). My whole labour with Maley from start to finish was 4 hours and i pushed for 8 minutes so hope that true. I had SPD with Maley but it came on late and wasnt as severe as i have it now. Having said that, the only position i am pain free at the moment is on my side, when in labour with Maley i was constantly on my side as i was in more pain any other way and only turned to push! So i think i can see me being on my side again this time.

i have made my mind up though that i will not let it affect me having a homebirth.

I have been put forward for an urgent physio appt. Ive been told i may be given a support belt and/or crutches!! Roll on April! lol

hope my new midwife is supportive of homebirths!!!

MM im sure he will turn. If not, why do you have to go to hospital for a vaginal breech delivery? is it more dangerous??

I think it depends on the level of experience of the mw really. Ideally they like you to be with someone with breech experience and I guess you can't guarantee that when HBs are done by the mw on call.

I've read that spd can give you much shorter 2nd stages too....like 5 mins!

Thank you for the info on the SPD situation girls.

My SPD has really cranked up!!! I can no longer stand for too long, sit for too long, drive, cannot turn over in bed and cannot lay on my back! Even getting in the bath is painful!

:hugs: i had really bad SPD towards the end so i know what ur going thro. :hugs:

With SPD whether you give birth on land or in water, the best position is on all fours as you don't need to spread your legs as wide and gravity will help - it is generally the best position for the second stage but is extra helpful with SPD.

With SPD whether you give birth on land or in water, the best position is on all fours as you don't need to spread your legs as wide and gravity will help - it is generally the best position for the second stage but is extra helpful with SPD.

I find it really painful on all fours thats when my pelvis clicks the most......i suppose i will just see when i am in labour what position is more comfortable....

I think it depends on the level of experience of the mw really. Ideally they like you to be with someone with breech experience and I guess you can't guarantee that when HBs are done by the mw on call.

I've read that spd can give you much shorter 2nd stages too....like 5 mins!

well if it does give me 5 minutes then i really wont be going hospital!! The big reason for not going hospital is they kept offering me an epidural when i got there and cos i was in so much pain, i was tempted. But i really dont want one and in my birth plan i wrote that i didnt want to be offered one. Luckily, my OH and mum knew this and so when it was offered to me they kicked up a fuss and encouraged me saying i didnt need it. and i didnt. At home, there isnt that option and i prefer that!

My Iron levels are back and have risen slightly to a Hb of 10.9. So they are high enough to deliver at home.

Baby is head down and I have no other problems, so as long as I go into natural labour between 3 Feb and 10 March and don't experience any problems in labour, I will be having baby at home!

My Iron levels are back and have risen slightly to a Hb of 10.9. So they are high enough to deliver at home.

Baby is head down and I have no other problems, so as long as I go into natural labour between 3 Feb and 10 March and don't experience any problems in labour, I will be having baby at home!

Great news!!! :happydance:

Good news Celesse!! I was 10. something at my appointment this week and my MW suggested upping the iron. I must remember to take it......:dohh:

Well I had a chat with my 15 yr old tonight about the HB and if she wanted to be there. She said a very firm and assured 'No thanks!' :lol: I asked her why and she just said she'd rather take Hebe somewhere else and come back when it's all done. She thinks she'd worry about me. So that's that decision made. I've mixed feelings about it. I'm glad she doesnt in a way because I know my OH wasnt keen but I'm a bit sad because she's only 15 and is already heavily influenced about how birth 'is'. :| she asked if they'd bring an epidural to the house :shock: I told her birth doesnt have to be all screaming and carrying on like it is on the telly.

brill news celesse bet ur over the moon:) Does anyone know how much notice i have to give my midwife that i want a homebirth? I wont be seeing her for another 3wks so will be 34 by then is that long enough?

I was 33+5 when I first discussed it with mine, so that should be fine.

Yeah I agree Country Girl that should be plenty of time :)

Lisa - is DD1 willing to stay in the house? If she is in her room or whatever then she will at least (touch wood!) hear that you don't scream etc. There might be some moaning, humming, grunting or any other random noises and that might be enough to help her realise that it doesn't have to be traumatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->