Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

The midwife forgot the home birth check list, I don't know if I would have had to sign it if she had remembered. She said she knew exactly what was on it.

We are definitely on from 3 Feb when I reach 37 weeks. It looks like I will have a fight on my hands if I go into Labour today or tomorrow as they are very strict.

I think the 2 main things that have helped MIL are the fact my midwife is so experienced and the other community midwives all have "several years community experience", and that they will transfer at the slightest hint of a problem.

Another thing that came up, that I didn't think of, was having a room away from the room you are delivering in for the midwives to have some time out in, eat, write notes in and so on. The advantages for me are that you haven't got someone watching you all the time. The advantage for the midwife is they get a kinda staff room / nurses station!.

Great idea about the 'staff room'. I am setting the pool up in the kitchen so the dining room or sitting room will be free once I get in there. I guess the dining room here would be ideal as they can do paperwork etc there :)

Hi All...

I'm still avidly reading along (even if I'm not writing so much at the moment) and am on for a HB anytime from now. My EDD is Weds 3rd Feb!

All getting very exciting!

they will transfer at the slightest hint of a problem.

Failing to see how this is a good thing :shrug:

Please remember that they can only advise, they cannot make you transfer against your will.

Try to make sure you are informed enough to know when advice to transfer is medically based, rather than twitchiness.

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/transfer.htm

Please remember that they can only advise, they cannot make you transfer against your will.

Try to make sure you are informed enough to know when advice to transfer is medically based, rather than twitchiness.

Perhaps a badly phrased post by me, but that's how it came across to MIL while midwife was going through all the reasons for transfer. I was already aware of the transfer reasons the midwife discussed and the only one I don't agree with having to go in if I go into labour today or tomorrow (36+5, 36+6).

thought I would share my home birth story. I was 21 and had to really fight for this homebirth, changed GPs etc to get it. I'm glad it all went well in the end.

Carly's Birth Story

After a previous induction, and reading up on the safety of homebirth. I felt confident that this was the way i wanted to go.Friday night, 8th March 2002.

I could feel half hourly contractions sitting in my mils house. I didn't plan on getting too excited though, as i'd been having contractions off and on all week that had come to nothing. I felt relaxed and happy, and knew i was close to seeing my new baby, dhs older sister announced that she was expecting a baby, and so the atmosphere was wonderful. One baby almost here and another starting its journey. At home we settled down to watch 'save the last dance', and as the contractions became closer together i realised that things were starting to move along. I began to rock my hips, watching the last of the film on my knees, i told Gary that i thought that i was in very early labour and that i had the feeling that it was going to be a back labour as I was feeling the contractions more in my back.

We tidied up the house a little in preparation and tried to get some sleep. We snuggled up together but i couldn't doze off, so Gary ran me a bath with some lavender oil to relax me, and made me a cup of chamomile tea. I wanted to release as much tension as possible. After the bath, i had a walk around the house, trying to keep active and when the contractions were around 5 minutes apart and more intense we phoned the midwives to let them know how things were progressing. Around half an hour later, between 3 and 4am, our two lovely midwives arrived and my contractions eased off a little while i adjusted to the new presence in the house. We chatted and i got to know them a little better and gradually my contractions strengthened again. I was feeling strongly that baby was posterior, and the midwives began to suspect this also when they saw the positions that i was naturally drawn to. Like all fours, hips rotating, and that i was also feeling the contractions intensely in my back.

The pattern of the contractions was one strong followed by one mild and things were progressing slowly. I was amazed at the space between contractions where i could catch my breath, as it was so different from the sharp contractions that crashed into one another, which i experienced when i was induced with My elder daughter.

We sent Gary to bed, he was pale and tired and i needed him fully awake. We'd been awake since 6am on Friday morning, and i was tiring a little. I chatted and breathed through the contractions as they became stronger and when Gary woke up i was having my back rubbed with some clary sage and lavender oil. This was bliss.

He made a little toast, and i decided that it would help me if i had a nap to revive me. I went to bed and managed to doze, moaning and breathing through each contraction, i felt relief after this short rest and knelt up in bed, though the contractions were very strong and intense. They still seemed to be trying to turn the baby, it was like climbing, without ever getting any higher. I began to turn to Gary, and the midwives left us alone, i hugged his legs and he rubbed my sacrum gently with each new contraction, easing off at the peak. I walked, squatted, kneeled and tried all fours to help me cope with the contractions. The strongest ones seemed to come when i went to pee, which was frequently. and with each visit there was more and more bloody show.

Anxious to speed things up, the midwives offered to break my bag of waters, but i was hesitant to say the least especially as baby was still trying to turn. At around 3.30pm on Saturday, my waters broke naturally, baby was still posterior, and the m/ws were hoping to see the baby before they had to change shifts. The contractions were so intense, i found myself praying while blowing and breathing. I felt only semi conscious of what was happening around me. I was sitting backwards on a chair on a disposable mat,waters leaking furiously, , leaning forward and concentrating on getting through the peak of the contractions when my mum, mil and young sil arrived.

Gary sent them to make tea, & have a glass of wine, as i only wanted Gary with me at that point. The midwives changed over at about 4.30pm, they made the changeover as smoothly as possible and i was glad that they were fresh and energetic as it breathed some life into me.
We decided on a bath to help ease contractions which by this time were so intense that i was grasping Gary's hand but couldn't bear for him to touch me. The bath was a godsend ,i tried to fill it more..turning in the water to find comfort. As i did i felt a tremendous uncontrollable urge to bear down. I heard a loud grunt and realised it was me, you could visibly see my uterus pushing down to Garys amazement. I returned to my room, and got onto the bed, the urge to bear down taking over me, there was an anterior lip due to the position of baby and so i knelt up and blew through the urges until i could no longer resist, grasping poor Gary around the neck and burying my head in his chest. I let myself push as my body dictated, changing to a deep squat, lifting my head to scream out loud at the hardest parts (the most wonderful feeling of release as i did). I felt the head crowning, burning me and i reached down to touch babys head. Two more pushes, and the most intense burning sensation, I birthed my babys head.

I blew through the next one to make sure the cord wasn't around babys neck, then pushed my 9lb 3oz baby into the world. She was born at 7.24 pm , the m/w passed her through my legs instantly as i was still on my knees and had been leaning forward. I was filled with elation as i looked at my new daughter, held her to my breast and she nuzzled close. After a little while when it had stopped pulsating Gary cut her cord, the placenta came away easily and naturally and i was able to relax and enjoy my elation with Gary holding me as i nursed our new daughter. I didn't have so much as a graze to fix. The hard work was over and i had my reward.

The house was filling with people, but we stayed in our room to enjoy our little one, bathed her gently and cleaned me up. After an hour, i took her through to the living room where our families were all sitting. Mum had brought me some homemade soup to eat, which was wonderful and very welcome, and everyone congratulated us, toasted the baby and then made their way home leaving us to revel in our new family member. After a camomile tea, Gary, Carly and i went to bed together tired and happy. We woke next morning, still grinning and kissing and deliriously happy, and introduced my eldest (who'd stayed over with dhs young cousin)to her new sister. She was beautiful, and the birth had an amazing effect on dh and I's relationship. It was the closeness of the birth..i felt so close to him and he was a marvelous support. I later found out from my mum that the m/w had been reporting back to the hospital and was only happy to wait another 1/2 hr to an hr for baby to be born before recommending transfer to hospital. The M/w who delivered her also told me that if I'd been scanned as planned they would have tried to talk me out the home birth, because baby was Posterior and 9lb3oz, so I'm VERY glad that scan didn't go ahead. I am so glad that we were blessed with this beautiful birth and lovely baby.

Perhaps a badly phrased post by me, but that's how it came across to MIL while midwife was going through all the reasons for transfer. I was already aware of the transfer reasons the midwife discussed and the only one I don't agree with having to go in if I go into labour today or tomorrow (36+5, 36+6).

I think in the case of your MIL it's not a bad thing that she thinks they'd take an over cautious approach. :)

Hi guys ...I had a homebirth and it was BRILLIANT!!! I am a first time mum to my LO now 18 days old.... and my labour lasted just under 2 hours start to finish!!!! I Hha done the hypnobirthing course during pregnancy and honestly didnt have any pain untill about 45 mins before she was born and i felt the urges to push which were pretty intense!!! Loved my homebirth !!! Go for it ladies if you can and all is well it is truly amazing !!!

Thanks Kelz! So you found the hypnobirthing relaxation techniques useful then? That's reassuring to hear!! :D

*Sneakily having a look at this thread again, need to skip back a few pages..:coffee:*

Do you have to attend the hypnobirthing course or can you get really good book, and just use that?

Do you have to attend the hypnobirthing course or can you get really good book, and just use that?

I didnt intend to go to the classes but I'm really glad I have. I dont think I could have learned the breathing techniques as well without. That said I dont think it's totally necessary to have the classes. I think much of it is about a state of mind and the book really tapped into my existing feelings about child birth and my already positive out look on it. So if you cant do the classes for some reason, the book and CD will definitely help IMO. :)

This thread has got me thinking again...:dohh:

So, I just gave a quick call to my midwife to ask about birthing plans as I want to talk to someone before 37 weeks ( I thought she said at 28 week apt she wouldnt discuss birthing plans till 37 weeks) but she just said they talk through birthing plans at 34 weeks so maybe I got it wrong? (which is more than likely :haha:),they have recently changed the maternity services in our area in line with the 'every child matters ' initiative and we now have to see our midwives at a sure start centre before it was at the surgery. So she is the third midwife I have seen, but she has 20 years experience, and there are a team of five. I am due to see her at my 34 week appointment, ( I see GP at 32 weeks/shared cared in my area) but she said more than likely if I was to have a homebirth I would know the midwife beforehand and it may even be her. This made me feel a lot better from a confidence point of view as I didnt feel comfortable at all having a homebirth and not knowing who I would see. I did ask her about stillbirths as it is a worry of mine for homebirths, I have no idea why because stilbirths can happen at hospitals but she said she has never delivered any home still births and she has done loads of homebirths. I do get a positive vibe from her, and I feel as if she knows what she is talking about. So, a positive phone call and it has made me feel a bit more confident about a possible home birth. I have been reading Ina May Gaskin's guide to childbirth, which is an amazing book I have to admit. I have ignored the whole making out in labour scenario as that is just to hippy for my liking but it has definately helped me understand my body more, I just need to believe in myself a bit more I think.

So as it stands, waiting on GTT results, and recent iron blood results
Got first consultant appointment on Thursday (because I had BMI of 35 at booking in appointment) :wacko:
My BP was fine at last appointment.
Not had any complications as such so far, and Abi was head down to my right and torso across the front of my belly with legs up round my side, so half head down at 4D scan.

So we will see what happens, what do you think?

Sorry for the long babble ladies :hugs:..x x

I didnt intend to go to the classes but I'm really glad I have. I dont think I could have learned the breathing techniques as well without. That said I dont think it's totally necessary to have the classes. I think much of it is about a state of mind and the book really tapped into my existing feelings about child birth and my already positive out look on it. So if you cant do the classes for some reason, the book and CD will definitely help IMO. :)

Thanks for that - is the book by Marie Mongan?

Yes Jani it's The Mongan Method.

ER - sounds good. It's nice to keep your options open I think. You can plan for a HB and then change your mind and go to the hospital but you cant do it the other way around! I have lent out a really good book that even if you dont go down the HB route, would be great for you to read. I'll see if the person I lent it to will send it to you next.
We all have irrational or unexplainable fears. You're worried about a still birth, which even in hospital is rare when you think of how many babies are born with no complications. The statistics for problems with HB babies are actually really good because they are less likely to have been subject to interventions and drugs etc. and your problem of getting to the hospital and being sent back and forth would be eliminated because they'd be coming back and forth to you! :lol: In the unlikely event that there were to be anything they werent quite happy with THEY would call an ambulance for a transfer. :)

Yes Jani it's The Mongan Method.

ER - sounds good. It's nice to keep your options open I think. You can plan for a HB and then change your mind and go to the hospital but you cant do it the other way around! I have lent out a really good book that even if you dont go down the HB route, would be great for you to read. I'll see if the person I lent it to will send it to you next.
We all have irrational or unexplainable fears. You're worried about a still birth, which even in hospital is rare when you think of how many babies are born with no complications. The statistics for problems with HB babies are actually really good because they are less likely to have been subject to interventions and drugs etc. and your problem of getting to the hospital and being sent back and forth would be eliminated because they'd be coming back and forth to you! :lol: In the unlikely event that there were to be anything they werent quite happy with THEY would call an ambulance for a transfer. :)

Thank you ever so much about the book, whats it called? And I am only a 10 minute drive to the hospital, 15 minutes at most. Do you have any concerns about a homebirth at all or are you completely confident about everything now x x x

I didn't do the Hypnobirthing classes, just read the Marie Mongan book and got hold of a CD and I found that great. If I hadn't had a malpositioning issue I am sure my labour would have been pain free, it certainly was when it initially started before he turned! Next time we'll be doing the Natal Hypnotherapy classes though as an extra help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->