Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

That sounds awful Silver Penny...I think I would literally have murdered a few people there and then!!!! I'm soooo pleased with my MW so far - she did a check of 'down there' at my appointment today as I've been very swollen and sore and she was just so respectful compared to the OBGYN I had at the beginning of my pregnancy.... :)

She has predicted Bean's weight to be around 7lbs, which sounds good to me! :)

BTW, with a home/water birth (I'm sure a few people have asked this before) what did you really appreciate having there and what did you wish you'd had? And also for postpartum? I got some witch hazel today to use cooled in pads etc.....and we got a little fish net for the pool :thumbup::lol:...We have the pool itself! (Huzzah!) And a floating thermometer....Urm....so those are the basics, right? Anything I'm forgetting?

xx

Good news on the weight :)

I may be wrong but isn't witch hazel astringent? If so i wouldn't put it on a pad if you get a graze or tear hun.. might sting a bit x

Morning Ladies!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice yesterday, and also sorry for the whinging, just read back all my posts, and i think i was sounding a little whiney and fretful!

Anyway, i spoke to dh last night and he was very angry with the MW, for scaring me, and now so am i! :growlmad:
I think it's ridiculous the way she's been going on, as she hasn't put me off a HB, just made me really anxious about giving in birth in general, never mind where! And i was so positive and relaxed about it all before!:dohh:

I think she is trying to fob me off by leaving it so late to sort things out, my next appoinment i'll 36+2, is that too late to get things in place does anyone know? What if i go early?

I'm trying to find out who to complain to, and if i can go aboove the community mws heads, after all my consultant has okayed everything.

Anyone else have to do this at all?

thanks ladies:hugs:

Morning Ladies!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice yesterday, and also sorry for the whinging, just read back all my posts, and i think i was sounding a little whiney and fretful!

Anyway, i spoke to dh last night and he was very angry with the MW, for scaring me, and now so am i! :growlmad:
I think it's ridiculous the way she's been going on, as she hasn't put me off a HB, just made me really anxious about giving in birth in general, never mind where! And i was so positive and relaxed about it all before!:dohh:

I think she is trying to fob me off by leaving it so late to sort things out, my next appoinment i'll 36+2, is that too late to get things in place does anyone know? What if i go early?

I'm trying to find out who to complain to, and if i can go aboove the community mws heads, after all my consultant has okayed everything.

Anyone else have to do this at all?

thanks ladies:hugs:

That's when my first hb appt was, and in my area they won't do hb before 37 weeks because of the likelihood of needing help with breathing for bubs. If you want to complain try and speak to the head of midwifery in your area, you should be able to find contact details through google. Hope everything goes well for your appt x

Roc - I am so sorry you are having to go through this now. From the sounds of it as the others have said estimated baby weights are very 'estimated'. My friend had 3 growth scans apparently gradually getting further off the scale and they told her at 37 weeks the LO was already 10.5lb and they wanted her booked in for a section within a couple of days. She was adament she wanted a natural birth if at all possible and she had a wonderful natural birth at 41 weeks and the baby was not even 9lb.

Please don't let them put negative thoughts into your head - a positive mental attitude to me is the most important thing going into labour. When I was told I could not have my home birth and had to go in to be induced I was gutted but I pulled myself together and took a lot of the practices I wanted at home into the hospital and still had what I would consider a fantastic birth and positive experience.

If you live near the hospital you can always transfer if you feel the need to but if you start off at the hospital there is no going home when you realise it is all going to plan!

Good luck with your meeting.
x

NightKD - Straws for drinking in strange positions in your pool and energy drinks / food so you dont have to resort to full fat coke like I did when I got tired, then barf it all over the place :lol:

Iv got a consultant apointment on monday, wonder if they have anything to say about me wanting a homebirth

Just a quick update.

I've e-mailed the head of midwifery at my hospital, and she has gotten back to me very quickly (and positively!) saying she will pass on my e-mail to the community matron for me, so she can e-mail me to discuss my concerns over my lack of support and hopefully make some plans for the go ahead!

Thanks ladies, hopefully i won't be labelled a 'difficult case' and things can be arranged and put in place now! :happydance:

Iv got a consultant apointment on monday, wonder if they have anything to say about me wanting a homebirth

Hopefully not, and if they do, you can just change consultants right!
I had the Midwife at my booking in appointment pick a great consultant for me-one that was pro-homebirth, and it really made a differance!
Good luck!

Just a quick update.

I've e-mailed the head of midwifery at my hospital, and she has gotten back to me very quickly (and positively!) saying she will pass on my e-mail to the community matron for me, so she can e-mail me to discuss my concerns over my lack of support and hopefully make some plans for the go ahead!

Thanks ladies, hopefully i won't be labelled a 'difficult case' and things can be arranged and put in place now! :happydance:

That's fantastic. I really hope you don't encounter any more problems.x.

Just a quick update.

Go you!

And you didn't sound whiney, you just sounded like you had a difficult situation to deal with.

Thanks ladies! :hugs:
fx'd now the community matron will be understanding!

nightkd- I still want to murder some of those people and its almost been a year! I get so upset thinking about it at times. Not to mention that my mw never did a 6 week check, and I was still bleeding but I don't have any documentation of it, so I can't sue those arses. :growlmad: Oh, and to top it all off, the doctor didn't stitch me up correctly, either.

But I still have my PMA... I will get the homebirth I want this time, even if I have to cut off some heads while I'm at it! lol

Good luck Roc!

Thanks for sharing your story SP! I guess I always assumed my MW would support breech vaginal delivery, so I was shocked when she brought up scheduling a c-section if he's still breech in a few weeks.

Thanks for all of your guys support! I am going to do my best to help my little guy turn and take it from there! It's good to hear how many babes turned late in the game! :)

I had the Midwife at my booking in appointment pick a great consultant for me-one that was pro-homebirth, and it really made a differance!
Good luck!

I can see most of them having something to say because of my weight. They can try lol

Good luck!

I can see most of them having something to say because of my weight. They can try lol

lol! exactly-they can TRY!:winkwink:

Gina there is a big movement towards 'normalising' breech vaginal delivery. It should be seen as another variation on 'normal' like posterior (back to back/sunny side up) for example.

Check out this FB group :) https://www.facebook.com/search/?in...&ref=ts#!/group.php?gid=5701718161&ref=search

np, gina! If you haven't already, you might want to check the link for spinning babies in the first post. I have it in my favorites, and plan on using some of the techniques later on.

mm- it really should be considered a variation on the normal, like posterior positioning. The fact that they don't train the mw's or ob's on how to deliver breech babies vaginally is quite astounding to me. :shrug: I couldn't see it taking much time to teach.

Gina there is a big movement towards 'normalising' breech vaginal delivery. It should be seen as another variation on 'normal' like posterior (back to back/sunny side up) for example.

Check out this FB group :) https://www.facebook.com/search/?in...&ref=ts#!/group.php?gid=5701718161&ref=search

I'm very pro vaginal breech births, love them! Drs and some midwives will throw around stats on risks based on flawed research.

I would like to know of any other mums on here who have had vaginal breech births, would be interesting to see if/ what difficulties they encountered.

np, gina! If you haven't already, you might want to check the link for spinning babies in the first post. I have it in my favorites, and plan on using some of the techniques later on.

mm- it really should be considered a variation on the normal, like posterior positioning. The fact that they don't train the mw's or ob's on how to deliver breech babies vaginally is quite astounding to me. :shrug: I couldn't see it taking much time to teach.

They do train us to deliver breech, but because we have had a trend of only offering c/s for breech that we don't actually get to see them unless it's undiagnosed and then we treat them as emergencies:dohh:

so what is meant to be a hand off approach "hands of the breech" becames very medicalised causing more trauma for mum & baby.

Another quick update-
Community Matron got back to me promptly, and apologised for me feeling unsupported in my wishes for a HB, and has asked to meet me to discuss things, so, so far, so good i hope!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->