Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Just wanted to share.....

38WKS today so offically able to homebirth!!!!

YIPPEE!!

Roll on labour day!!!

love to all xxxxxxxxxxxxx

YIPPEE!!

Roll on labour day!!!

yay -wont be long for you now woohoo :happydance::happydance:

can i just ask everyone -is this the norm, 38weeks??? -I thought it was okay to homebirth from 37 weeks but I haven't spoken to my home birth co-ordinator about specifics yet - as I am still awaiting her getting in touch :growlmad:

I am pretty sure I 'll not go early but had 37 weeks in my head as 'Ready for Homebirth Day' lol

xx

no man jopey? All okay? x
Fob and i split when i was about 25 weeks. We hadn't been together long when i fell pregnant and we gave it a try but we argued too much which we didn't want for Albert. He's neen great since A came along though so i'm pining a little now! x

Big congrats janiepops and Madasa!!

I have the MW coming round today to bring me my HB forms, and i've ordered my pool aswell-i went for the La Bassine-thanks for the recommendation MM!

Can't wait now, though was in triage for reduced fetal movement, (which was fine) and they picked up regular contractions, 1 every 2-4 mins??? I'm only 35 weeks today!

I wasn't feeling them too much, so they sent me home with instructions to come back if they got worse etc...

I've had a few twinges, but nothing too much, so hopefully it's just because i have a big baby, and he doesn't go before the magic 37 weeks, so i can have my HB!!

Good luck next in line ladies, really hope i don't beat you to it! :dohh:

no man jopey? All okay? x
Fob and i split when i was about 25 weeks. We hadn't been together long when i fell pregnant and we gave it a try but we argued too much which we didn't want for Albert. He's neen great since A came along though so i'm pining a little now! x

Can i just say that I love the name you have chosen :flower:

And congratulations Madesa :happydance:

YIPPEE!!

Roll on labour day!!!

yay -wont be long for you now woohoo :happydance::happydance:

can i just ask everyone -is this the norm, 38weeks??? -I thought it was okay to homebirth from 37 weeks but I haven't spoken to my home birth co-ordinator about specifics yet - as I am still awaiting her getting in touch :growlmad:

I am pretty sure I 'll not go early but had 37 weeks in my head as 'Ready for Homebirth Day' lol

xx

It seems to vary by area. Where I was living when I delivered, it was 37 weeks. Some places are 38 weeks, but if I lived in one of those places and went into labour 37-38 weeks, I can tell you I wouldn't be heading up to hospital simply for that reason. 37 weeks is "term" after all.

HI Ladies, I need some info and some PMA please!!

I was at the hospital yesterday, and basically got a scan, and baby is 95th percentile!!!:wacko: He's the size of an average newborn at only 34 weeks!

Now my consultant said, all was fine, and was supportive of a homebirth pretty much, she just thinks we make 'em big in my family, as my mum and grandmother all had big babies...
He got a birth weight estimate of 4.2kg i think, so a good 9 and ? lber?!

Anyhow, i went to MW today, and although she too was supportive, she did say she was worried about the size, and explained to me about shoulder dystocia (sp?).

I'm just really having a little freak out now, after being so calm and together about the whole thing.

Has anyone had a baby this big at home, it being their first?

I'm wavering on weather i can do this now...

MW did tell me after i asked, that shoulder dystocia is an emergency and you can lose the baby:nope:

I'd appreciate any HB stories some of you may have, with regards to BIG babies!
THanks ladies...

Sorry for the late reply but I had a 9lb 1oz baby at home in the pool with no tearing or problems at all. I truly believe your body will only cook a baby that you can deliver :)

First of all a huge congrats to Janie and Madasa...glad everything went well and you have your beautiful babies :)

Now its my turn! Come on Freddie...don't mess with the list!

My friend has just had her baby and she was due yesterday...9lb 15oz! Am hoping Freddie isn't quite that big although Oscar was a 9lber so who knows!

Midwife tomorrow where I am going to beg for a sweep and am just about to start cooking the hottest curry in the world followed by some nookie tonight. I will get this baby moving!

Hi ladies im new here currently 7 weeks preggers with bubba no2 i have ds who is 2 in a few weeks.
Im seriously thinking about homebirth after a terrible experience in hospital with ds they didnt believe i was in labour untill i was screaming i needed to push i was in labour for 2 hours start to finish i was then left to get on with it no one helped me get my little boy to latch on the breast for nearly 6 hours and then they grabbed my boob and shoved it in his mouth some help that was !!!! i could go on and on really just a bit worried about preparing for homebirth as we dont have a big house

:cry: i just got a call off the community MW who was supposed to be delivering my HB forms today, she said at first she was running late, then asked if i was still considering a HB, i aid yes, and there was an awkward pause, then she said she and the other MWs were concerned about the size etc... and made me feel really bad, she asked if i'd been in to the birthing suite at the hospital yet, and i said i hadn't as dh was busy with work, but would be in a couple of weeks, and she was just kind of pushing for that etc... but when i was in triage the other day i overheard about someone having to birth in the triage unit as all other places were closed! So i don't think my chances of actually getting the birthing suite are great anyway...

She asked when my next appointment was and i said a week on fri, so she said she and the other MW would measure me etc..and talk about it then:cry:
I'll be over 36 weeks then, and feel like i want to plan everything...

I've already ordered my birth pool, and was feeling good about things, now i just feel deflated and a bit sick if i'm honest, like i'm trying to do something wrong...

My consultant said, the sizze in itself was no reason that i couldn't have a HB, and wrote it in my notes for the MW, but they don't seem to have taken much notice...and my predicted birthweight by scan is only 9lb 5oz..not THAT big...

i dunno, i didn't think it would be that hard, i just keep thinking what if i insisted and something went wrong, i couldn't forgive myself..i also didn't think anything WOULD go wrong until the MW started on at me..now i'm nervous about the whole birth instead of being calm and preparing for it...

Sorry this is so long, i just really need some advice/kind words...:cry:

Hello Rachel, you found us!!

Welcome to the HB group. My old house was tiny - honestly, dont worry about space.

Im going to come back later and answer you both properly when I have 2 hands free to type but just wanted to say ....

Rachel - the size of you house has NO bearing on home birth - we have girls who have planned and given birth in small flats :)

Roc - if you look thru early posts from Eternal Rose (and I *think* Madasa) you'll see your BMI/size is not a reason not to have a HB. Also you can find info on BMI and HB on https://www.homebirth.org.uk/

roc, I think the fact that the consultant has put that on your notes is great. They are usually the most cautious, so he must really not be worried.

First off: both growth scans and fundal measurements are hugely unreliable. So take it with a pinch of salt to start with.

Problems due to size are very rare. And if something is a problem (shoulder dystocia is the one most often mentioned) then there are positions which can help widen the pelvis, like being on hands and knees which should be the first recourse whether at home or hospital before anything more 'medical' is done.

Any problem is likely to be spotted early, at which point if you need to be in hospital then you will get transferred. If you look at the front page a few of us home birth hopefuls have ended up in hospital and the babies and mothers have all been fine as far as I know. So that is always an option. But going home if everything turns out to be straightforward once you are in hospital isn't, so it is best to start at home and go from there.

You will be fine!

You could ask how your care would differ at hospital from home, so that you can find out what they think the advantages would be. They may well not be able to articulate them clearly, beyond a general sense of 'safeness' at hospital in their minds. And have a read up at the homebirth uk website.

You keep enjoying planning your hombirth, they can advise you on what they think you should do, but it is your choice and you have your consultants backing.

Im going to come back later and answer you both properly when I have 2 hands free to type but just wanted to say ....

Rachel - the size of you house has NO bearing on home birth - we have girls who have planned and given birth in small flats :)

Roc - if you look thru early posts from Eternal Rose (and I *think* Madasa) you'll see your BMI/size is not a reason not to have a HB. Also you can find info on BMI and HB on https://www.homebirth.org.uk/

Thanks but its the size of the BABY thats the problem apparently!
i had a growth scan, as he was feeling big, and they reckon he'll be 9lb 5oz at birth..and i was measuring ahead at the mw appointment, so thats what their problem is..they think i won't be able to give birth to him as he'll be huge...

roc, I think the fact that the consultant has put that on your notes is great. They are usually the most cautious, so he must really not be worried.

First off: both growth scans and fundal measurements are hugely unreliable. So take it with a pinch of salt to start with.

Problems due to size are very rare. And if something is a problem (shoulder dystocia is the one most often mentioned) then there are positions which can help widen the pelvis, like being on hands and knees which should be the first recourse whether at home or hospital before anything more 'medical' is done.

Any problem is likely to be spotted early, at which point if you need to be in hospital then you will get transferred. If you look at the front page a few of us home birth hopefuls have ended up in hospital and the babies and mothers have all been fine as far as I know. So that is always an option. But going home if everything turns out to be straightforward once you are in hospital isn't, so it is best to start at home and go from there.

You will be fine!

You could ask how your care would differ at hospital from home, so that you can find out what they think the advantages would be. They may well not be able to articulate them clearly, beyond a general sense of 'safeness' at hospital in their minds. And have a read up at the homebirth uk website.

Thanks Urbanbumpkin, the MW said to me last time about them not having resuscitation (sp?) stuff, which to me sounded odd, but i dunno, i have read up on the excellent HB website, and there are lots of big babies born at home, i just am feeling really vulnerable and like i'm being told off, or in trouble (which i hate!) and not not sure i can handle a fight...

I will definitely put it to them about how would care differ though, and see what they say, but the mw today already told me there'd be 2 of them at my next appointment, so i'll be outnumbered!

I think I mentioned about size of the baby to you before - they were talking 9/10lb for Sid at one point and he was only 8lb 4 - smaller than Hebe who they never even mentioned in terms if size. Like Carrie said, your body wont make a baby you cant part with :)

Thanks but its the size of the BABY thats the problem apparently!
i had a growth scan, as he was feeling big, and they reckon he'll be 9lb 5oz at birth..and i was measuring ahead at the mw appointment, so thats what their problem is..they think i won't be able to give birth to him as he'll be huge...

My dd was 9lbs 3oz and born in a posterior position at home. In terms of size I don't think of 9lbs-ish as huge tbh, many women birth babies at home who are 10lbs + It's a shame they are already questioning your ability to birth your baby based on this.

Take someone with you if you can! Get them to make notes for you. And say to yourself that you won't agree to changing your mind at that meeting but will go away and think about it, after looking back at the notes. That way you can't be pressured at that meeting. Have a phrase you can keep repeating, something like "thank you for that information, I will consider it carefully when making my decision". Just keep parroting that. Ask them to repeat or clarify anything you are unsure about or that they are being vaguely doom and gloomy about.

If they don't have ressusitation equipment then that is their problem not yours. If they think they need it then they should arrange to provide it - which shouldn't be tricky. My midwives had an oxygen canister and masks in the right size for baby and me.

And 9lb something isn't that big.

You can do it! I know what you mean about fighting, but you will be OK. All they can do is advise you, not tell you.

I think I mentioned about size of the baby to you before - they were talking 9/10lb for Sid at one point and he was only 8lb 4 - smaller than Hebe who they never even mentioned in terms if size. Like Carrie said, your body wont make a baby you cant part with :)

Yes you did, i know i've been over this, just not with the opposition from the MWs...

I'm just worried about having a fight on my hands now, which i wasn't expecting...i just don't want to end up sitting there crying in front of them!:dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->