Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Read on homebirth.org; but the only thing they sometimes try to say is that you'd need an epidural due to the pain. But SPD doesn't tend to cause problems in labour, and an epidural is actually contraindicated, as are stirrups and being on your back.

My midwife is coming round to the homebirth :happydance: after my ringing the triarge i think they may have spoken to her but not sure. She said atm she would prefer my iron levels to be higher, she is redoing them at 33weeks which will mean i will have been taking iron tabs for about 4 weeks so hopefully they will have done their jobs, and if they are normal or almost normal she will put me in for my HB visit :happydance:

SPD or not, the only way im having a needle in my back is if i need a section. The thought of it gross's me out.

Acording to homebirth.org they advise against having an epi because it blocks the warning pains of spd and can cause more damage.

Im liking the sound of a faster second stage :D

Grrrr looks like iv got SPD, dose any one know if my consultant can try to use this as an excuse to get me to go to hospital? Shes allready being a pain in the arse about my homebirth.

Just stick to your guns hun, I'm sure you'll be well educated in your options when the time comes :hugs:

It shouldnt Lozzy :hugs:

Well my pool arrived and so did my boxes form the MW...but apparently all the drugs are missing from the HB kit and a box from the pool is missing :rofl:

Looking to be a home birther this time around...promise will send PM with details MM :lol:

While I have had 3 okay hospital births, the nearest hospital to where we are likely to be living by the time this LO is born is consultant led and after the consultant I dealt with during Mia's pregnancy I would like never ever to see one again if I can help it.

OH knows how I feel and as he is not a fan of hospitals at the best of times it was actually his suggestion *yay him*

Grrrr looks like iv got SPD, dose any one know if my consultant can try to use this as an excuse to get me to go to hospital? Shes allready being a pain in the arse about my homebirth.

Hi - I suffered terribly wth my spd -was on crutches since 16weeks and in constant pain. I was advised not to have an epidural as they can cause further and long term damage due to your pain free gap not being recognized or appreciated by medical staff- if you do go for an epidural a good idea is to take along a piece of ribbon cut to the space of your pain free gap.

My mw's highly recommended home birthing to me and water birth also due to my spd -easier to stay active at home as I could potter around more without my crutches; using the walls furniture etc to aid me. Also water is s'posed to really help with the pain and help with getting into a better position too. Also, I wanted to make sure that afterwards I had the fullest support from my DH and this was also a reasoning for me being at home.

Didn't work out for me as baby was term +14 and I ended up being induced but I am 100% sure that things would have been much easier had I been able to deliver at home and in the water.

Hope they dont try and give you a hard time because of it -a few midwifes in my area tried to get me to go consultant led due to spd right from the start, but the pro home birth mw's were fab and really empowerered me in making my decisoins.

Good Luck xxx:hugs:

Girls I am neglecting you all so much at the moment :blush: Between my sister's wedding, my business and of course my children I am hardly able to check on here.

Would anyone be up for updating the front page for me for a while?

Admin could reassign the post to anyone so it could be edited :)

Acording to homebirth.org they advise against having an epi because it blocks the warning pains of spd and can cause more damage.

Im liking the sound of a faster second stage :D

I had SPD quite bad and was on crutches towards the end....tbh the labour pain far outweighed my SPD pain so didnt really notice it to be honest...only thing was I found it difficult getting into positions that were comfortable...I gave birth on my recliner chair and kept quite mobile during the labour which helped alot. x

I'm just popping on with an update re my possible homebirth - have copied and pasted this from my post in September Stars in third tri, and it's a bit of a rant really!!!

I went to the MW appt yesterday, and she was lovely, but the whole homebirth thing (the way I want to do it anyway) appears to be out of the window. Initially when we discussed HBs, she advised me that there was nothing I needed to do, that they will bring out the kit when I am 36 weeks. This was to include a birth pool which is owned by the community midwife team. I would have to pay £10 for a new sterile liner, but that would be it. Well, I asked her about it, and she said oh she doesn't even know where the pool is at the moment. She promised to have a look but I don't hold my breath on that one. Then she said I need to get to Saturday morning (37 weeks exactly) to stand any chance of the homebirth, which I knew anyway, but that the soonest anyone can bring the kit out to me would be Sunday, if the MW on duty doesn't have too much on on that day. But, don't worry, because if you go into labour before then, we all have the kit in our car. But nothing would be set up in the house as she told me there didn't need to be anything set up, and not to even think about it until 36 weeks! The icing on the cake was that she then followed this up by saying that this is the busiest time of year for them, and that the chances are that there won't be anyone available to come out as they'll need the staff on the delivery suite! Argh!!!!!! I work for the NHS and understand staff shortages, I just wish I hadn't been promised something which seems totally unreachable now!

Getting to the 37 weeks has always been a big thing for me, as I've never done it before, and it's really important to me this time, as this will be our last baby, that if I do get to that elusive 37 weeks, I get to have a go at giving birth the way I want to do, and not strapped to a monitor. I would really like to be active, and ideally wanted it to happen in my own surroundings. Now I am thinking, perhaps plans need to change slightly for if I do get to Saturday. I think if I do, I would rather opt for the hospital option (they have a birth centre too in the same building) with the chance to be active and use a birth pool, than to try for the now unprepared homebirth. I'm not 100% sure, but think that's the way I am thinking. I don't want to get all excited and start getting ready at home for Saturday and then it all go wrong.

:hug: tbh hon' I would simply write to the supervisor of midwives for your area and let them know the situation. I'd be telling them that a. I planned to stay at home and b. that it is extremely disapointing that given the time the trust have had to ensure adequate staffing levels to accomodate my birth choices, that this is now being cited as an excuse not to attend you at home. It's unnacceptable and staffing is their problem not yours. They have had adequate time to sort this and women giving in without question just allows them to continue with this crap. :hug:

sorry to be a pain but I noticed on the front page that you have louloubab down twice and I think it's meant to be my name on the 11th of feb, which has now changed to the 12th anyway.
sorry....I know you are busy xx

Things for my homebirth are looking up. Saw my midwife today and had bloods taken, and as long as my iron levels are high enough i will get a home visit sometime in the week of the 2nd september about 1 month before im due im so excited.

I'm just popping on with an update re my possible homebirth - have copied and pasted this from my post in September Stars in third tri, and it's a bit of a rant really!!!

I went to the MW appt yesterday, and she was lovely, but the whole homebirth thing (the way I want to do it anyway) appears to be out of the window. Initially when we discussed HBs, she advised me that there was nothing I needed to do, that they will bring out the kit when I am 36 weeks. This was to include a birth pool which is owned by the community midwife team. I would have to pay £10 for a new sterile liner, but that would be it. Well, I asked her about it, and she said oh she doesn't even know where the pool is at the moment. She promised to have a look but I don't hold my breath on that one. Then she said I need to get to Saturday morning (37 weeks exactly) to stand any chance of the homebirth, which I knew anyway, but that the soonest anyone can bring the kit out to me would be Sunday, if the MW on duty doesn't have too much on on that day. But, don't worry, because if you go into labour before then, we all have the kit in our car. But nothing would be set up in the house as she told me there didn't need to be anything set up, and not to even think about it until 36 weeks! The icing on the cake was that she then followed this up by saying that this is the busiest time of year for them, and that the chances are that there won't be anyone available to come out as they'll need the staff on the delivery suite! Argh!!!!!! I work for the NHS and understand staff shortages, I just wish I hadn't been promised something which seems totally unreachable now!

Getting to the 37 weeks has always been a big thing for me, as I've never done it before, and it's really important to me this time, as this will be our last baby, that if I do get to that elusive 37 weeks, I get to have a go at giving birth the way I want to do, and not strapped to a monitor. I would really like to be active, and ideally wanted it to happen in my own surroundings. Now I am thinking, perhaps plans need to change slightly for if I do get to Saturday. I think if I do, I would rather opt for the hospital option (they have a birth centre too in the same building) with the chance to be active and use a birth pool, than to try for the now unprepared homebirth. I'm not 100% sure, but think that's the way I am thinking. I don't want to get all excited and start getting ready at home for Saturday and then it all go wrong.

Hi Asher
In my area (Essex), they don't bring a kit round in advance, it was brought round on the day - so you've no trouble there. I had to supply my own pool (I bought a new one) - have you thought about getting one second hand from Ebay at all just to guarantee that you get the water birth you want? Also, I believe that they have to send someone out to you whether they're shortstaffed or not. I'm sure everything will be fine. x

Asher you're almost there :wohoo: Like i said before they wouldnt bring mine until i was 37+5 and then wouldnt come out until i was over 38 weeks :dohh: Doesnt seem to matter now though.

HI ladies don't know if any of you remember me, but just thought i'd pop on here, and let you know my late news-sorry!
I gave birth to Dylan William on the 19th July, weighing in at a whopping 10lbs 15 oz!!

I had wanted a hb, but due to excpected size of bubs etc... all were against it, i did opt for hospital in the end, but had a totally natural unassisted birth, without even gas and air for the end..of an 11lber!!
I've done my birth story here's the link if any of you would like to read it
https://www.babyandbump.com/birth-stories-announcements/396728-late-birth-story-dylan-william-natural-unassisted-birth-11lber.html#post6588558
I just want to say thank you so much to the ladies on here for all the help i got-which was A LOT!!
I wouldn't have known i'd be able to do it all myself without your wisdom i think!
So again thank-you, and good luck all you other expectant mummies, i hope you all get the births you're longing for!:hugs:

Congratulations on your son :hugs: Sounds like you had a really good birth :wohoo:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->