Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Is it normal for homebirth kits not to be delivered before your in labour? as i here everyone say they get theirs at 37weeks. MY MW said mine gets brough round when in labour :shrug:

How far does everyone live from the nearest hospital? How far away would you consider too far?

I'm under ten minutes drive, a 5 minute blue light. Last time I was about 15 min drive although 5 minutes to nearest A&E.
Personally I'd want to be no more than a 30 minute drive (in an ordinary car) but that's just my personal comfort zone. Most transfers are not immediate emergencies.

The closest hospital to us is 45 minutes, most of it highway. I'm perfectly comfortable with this, as the closest fire department is less than 5 minutes away.

Is it normal for homebirth kits not to be delivered before your in labour? as i here everyone say they get theirs at 37weeks. MY MW said mine gets brough round when in labour :shrug:

Yeah that sounds right to me! I didn't get a kit delivered, my midwife arrived with everything on the day :) I think all areas and trusts are different! I didn't mind when it came just as long as I got my homebirth :)

I could be at my hospital in less than 5 mins by blue light.

Can any one recomend where to hire a birth pool from? I cant justify buying one but realy want one.

I'm about 5 mins blue light transfer too.

Lozzy, I am borrowing one off a friend but before she offered my midwife told me to ask local surestart groups to see if anyone had one etc? Failing that they go quite cheap on ebay sometimes?

Some places hire them out but it costs as much as it would to buy.

theres an aquaborn one on there at the moment for £45, does anyone know if they're any good and whats everyone's opinion on inflatable vs rigid???

I know its a bit soon to be buying for me, but any shopping is good! lol

I will find out if there is one available from my maternity hospital for homebirths on Friday as there is one but it's first come first served. Then I need to get a liner quick smart.
I'm having a wibble today. I'm trying to be very positive but feel that baby is still being awkward and I'm worried what Fridays M/w appt will reveal. I've been swimming, on the birth ball etc but feel baby may still be oblique or even transverse on Friday. If he is transverse then I don't know what the hospital policy is, as many want to push for section at 38 weeks to avoid prolapsed cord etc. I don't feel nearly as informed as I should about this right now so I'm going to be making a list of what I need to ask, read up on, know, consider etc tonight.
Hoping baby will miraculously turn or even be in a frank breech position.
I wish I had a home ultrasound machine to see what way he is lying :lol:

My scan for the HB went amazing. everything is perfect for it. But they measured Chloe and estimated her weight at 8lbs already :shock: hope she comes sometime soon as i dont want her to be too big. Also have a tens now to help during labour.

I will find out if there is one available from my maternity hospital for homebirths on Friday as there is one but it's first come first served. Then I need to get a liner quick smart.
I'm having a wibble today. I'm trying to be very positive but feel that baby is still being awkward and I'm worried what Fridays M/w appt will reveal. I've been swimming, on the birth ball etc but feel baby may still be oblique or even transverse on Friday. If he is transverse then I don't know what the hospital policy is, as many want to push for section at 38 weeks to avoid prolapsed cord etc. I don't feel nearly as informed as I should about this right now so I'm going to be making a list of what I need to ask, read up on, know, consider etc tonight.

:dust: Wishing you a longitudinal baby on Friday :dust:

So if baby turns breech do you plan on still having a vaginal birth? Would they still allow a homebirth in that case? Here vaginal breech deliveries are now 'suppose' to be supported by obs and midwives due to findings in the latest research and changes in recommendations and guidelines (it used to be an automatic section), but it's still considered a contraindication for homebirth.

My scan for the HB went amazing. everything is perfect for it. But they measured Chloe and estimated her weight at 8lbs already :shock: hope she comes sometime soon as i dont want her to be too big. Also have a tens now to help during labour.

you're all set to go! Hope Chloe makes an appearance soon! Oh and don't take any notice about her estimated weight - they are always out, sometimes by huge margins.

Yes all set, all the stuff i have to provide is in the room i hope to birth in, just a matter of wait until things get going now. I hope they are out as 8lbs sounds big for a 1st baby at 38weeks

:dust: Wishing you a longitudinal baby on Friday :dust:

So if baby turns breech do you plan on still having a vaginal birth? Would they still allow a homebirth in that case? Here vaginal breech deliveries are now 'suppose' to be supported by obs and midwives due to findings in the latest research and changes in recommendations and guidelines (it used to be an automatic section), but it's still considered a contraindication for homebirth.

Thank you :) If baby is a frank breech we'll be sticking with the homebirth unless there are other complications, my m/w has experience in delivering breech babies and is happy to support me in this. We're very close to the maternity hospital.
Here it really depends because although there has been shown to be flaws in the research that supported sections as standard for breech babies the result of years of c-sections is fewer staff who are experienced and competent to deliver a breech, there are few areas/NHS m/ws who would be happy to support a breech home delivery due to competency being an issue.
So plan so far is homebirth/labour at home IF our usual m/w is on call as she is experienced in delivering breech, transfer if she feels it necessary. If we have to go into hospital it will depend on a. the skill mix/experience of the medical/midwifery staff on at the time and b. their willingness to deliver in a hands off manner. I'll most likely in that case opt for an epidural jic of emergency section.
If he is a more complicated breech or we're not comfortable with the staff's competence/experience in this area we'll go for the section, or maybe ECV knowing there's the risk of section. Transverse..well I know that's a section but how soon we are willing to book it if he's in that position is the question. Weighing up best gestation for him to be born with risk of prolapse.
The best case scenario for me though is that he gets head down on his own.

37+1 today. M/w appt this am. Birth kit arrived about half an hour ago. :woohoo:

Hope everything goes well for you with your appt trumpetbum... btw love your avatar :)

Thanks Silver Penny :) Well my clever boy, after lots of quite painful movement last night is firmly HEAD DOWN, not only that but he is also FIXED. Fully engaged :lol:
My homebirth kit arrived this morning and we are just about ready to go :lol: I can't believe it. Someone else got the hospital birth pool so I will have to see what I can get on ebay but I've managed without before so if he decided to come at any point soon it would be ok.
M/w said since I'm firmly engaged and this is my third I should be prepared to go at any time, although knowing babies he will probably take this to mean he can hold on for another 3 or 4 weeks.
thanks for all the turny vibes people xxx

Glad baby is being a good boy trumpet bum. like me your all ready to go and just waiting for baby so show their face. I wish i had my homebirth kit would make if feel more real but MW doesnt bring it until she comes when im in labour.
Come on Chloe any time now would be nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->