Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Im going to see whats said at the scan at 37 weeks. After looking at the scan report i dont see how they can say im going to have a big baby when all measurments but one are on or just above the 50th centile. Well with in normal.

And im 5"9 and am far from petite. I dont expect to have a 6lb baby

I am in Auckland, and I'm renting too at the moment, it's my dads house. I haven't actually told him I'm having a homebirth yet, not quite sure what he's going to think of that! :lol:
I'm not hugely prepared either, I've just been looking into things this week. I just feel that in next to no time, my due date will be here and I need to be prepared now. It's xmas, then my daughters b'day, my OH's b'day, friends b'days, my b'day and my sister's b'day then due date!!

Ha ha, we are renting my brother's house! And I also haven't mentioned I am planning a home birth....although he was a home birth himself and is probably assuming I am going to do the same.

I know what you mean - suddenly the year feels like it is speeding up, Christmas is so soon! And we are doing this ridiculous thing of moving and doing up and old house onto some land we have - real good timing! Things feel super busy!

I was just wanting to ask you all your thoughts - as a home birth I will have 2 midwives attending - that's the way my midwife group works. I am also going to have my OH and my Mum present. My midwife has said that she will have a student with her and that she would like her to come along as well - although she has made it very clear it is my choice.

First off, I want to say I am very supportive of midwives, I think they do an amazing job, and I really want to support a student. I am just not sure that I want even more people present at the birth...it is already feeling like quite a few and I don't want it to be a circus. Maybe if this wasn't my first baby I wouldn't care so much - I guess I just dont' have a huge idea of what to expect yet.

Do you think it matters? When I am in the middle of labour, will I even care if there are one or one hundred people in the room?

Most women are affected by how many people are in the room, especially if they do not know them well. It's a biological thing. If there's too many people around/stuff going on, your body slows labour down until you can get somewhere private and "safe" to give birth.

I really didn't mind about people being there. There were 2 MWs, my mum and my OH. I was so deep in Labourland and slightly woozy from puffing on G&A that I was barely aware of anyone in the room at all. Yet all of a sudden my urge to push TREBLED. My body just took over.... for a moment I was a bit nervous and the sudden intensity of it and looked round to the MW for reassurance.... but both had gone!! They were in the next room, having a drink... They had only just gone and I hadn't noticed them there or noticed them going, but SOME part of me did.

In that moment, I felt that my baby was going to be born RIGHT then, so I managed to gasp out "midwife!", thinking that one ought to be there as my baby emerged. It didn't hurt or anything, it was kind of like being sick... you know where your body just takes over and does what it has to and it's not something you can control? It was like that. Like being on the brink of a (sorry, TMI alert) earth shattering orgasm, but feeling a bit taken aback/nervous of the intensity. Well, then a midwife came back in the room and that urgent, irrepressible "sicking the baby out" feeling subsided quite a bit. DD was born shortly after, but I barely pushed.... my body did it all, and I strongly believe it did most of itin that short interval when both MWs left the room. MWs KNOW this trick.. if mum is "reluctant to push" they leave for a moment, or tell her to go to the bathroom and use the toilet. Once you are alone and feel "private" and "safe", your body goes for it. If I had another, I wouldn't shout "midwife"... I;d just surrender and ride the wave :)

Ina May Gaskin says about birth: "Let your monkey do it". In other words, surrender to your subconscious, your primal self. Truth is, even if YOU don't care who is in the room, your "monkey" probably will. And you know what? I think it's better and easier to keep your monkey happy. Michel O'Dent has done a lot of stuff about this, all very interesting and good for birthing women to know!

Good post. For me it wasn't so much about how many were there but who was there. Throughout my labour my my m/w was very unintrusive as was the student, they were quietly supporting me and my birth partners did the same. Although there were in the end 5 people in the room as my baby was born, it felt very intimate, quiet and supportive because everyone took a step back as I held my dh's hand and my m/w very quietly spoke to me and supported me. I didn't want to feel under observation, for me the choice of birth partner/attendant has a huge role in how you cope, but I knew quickly that the student who came along was the right kind of person to be involved and was comfortable with her.

And im 5"9 and am far from petite. I dont expect to have a 6lb baby

Hahaha I like that and I think it's so very true. There are woman that can naturally birth 10lb babies out so please don't rule yourself out of a homebirth. I hate it when they start to scare you into things like that especially if they KNOW you want a homebirth. There could be so many factors!

A) They say it's big but actually it's normal (this happens so often it's a bit ridiculous actually)

B) Ok so your baby's huge, doesn't mean you can't birth him or her.

Keep up the fight! :hugs:

I hope you still get your home birth, Lozzy. I was measuring 4 weeks ahead by the end but was never offered a scan. Jack was bigger than I thought he'd be, but I coped fine. I really believe that your body won't grow a baby you can't birth.

I hope you still get your home birth, Lozzy. I was measuring 4 weeks ahead by the end but was never offered a scan. Jack was bigger than I thought he'd be, but I coped fine. I really believe that your body won't grow a baby you can't birth.

The bit thats scaring me is i know it does happen. It happend with my mum and my youngest brother. She has severe sholdre distorcia (sp?) and even with an episiotomy he still needed his sholder dislocating.

They were both in a right state afterwards and the doctors thought that he might have a learning disability because of the lack of oxygen. Luckily hes fine.

I know its rare but it can happen.

Small babies also get SD too! It has less to do with babies size and more to do with mothers position. I'd bet money your mum was stuck on her back.

speaking of birth positions - my last labour my daughter kept going back to back ( that was after they made me stop kneeling and get on my back in stirrups! duh!) Can anyone recommend the best birthing positions to stop this happening? ? ?

Thanks
x

Small babies also get SD too! It has less to do with babies size and more to do with mothers position. I'd bet money your mum was stuck on her back.

Exactly my thoughts. Certain maneuvers, which obviously require the mother to be mobile, can resolve shoulder dystocia without resorting to harming the baby. As long as it's a healthy pregnancy (obviously things like gestational diabetes can make for a very big baby), a woman's body tends to grow what she can manage.

I finally got round to putting up my birth story Here if anyone wants a read :flower:

speaking of birth positions - my last labour my daughter kept going back to back ( that was after they made me stop kneeling and get on my back in stirrups! duh!) Can anyone recommend the best birthing positions to stop this happening? ? ?

Thanks
x

Rather than going in to birth with a set list of positions to stick to/avoid tune in to your body and do what feels good/most comfortable on the day. Your body knows how to birth, just like it knows how to pee, poo, vomit, orgasm. Your body will guide you.

The baby could choose a posterior position regardless of what you do, this is just another variation of normal.

Nop she was mobile through it all and only went on her back when they tryed to do the manovers to free him but they dident work.

He was 11lb 3 and massive.

Wow, that's a big boy!

Still, SD is rare, although slightly higher in really big babies. I'm really not sure whether there's anything hereditary about it.
A) SD rates are even lower in planned hone births :) In the rare cases where it does happen, injury or death is even MORE rare still.
B) the Gaskin maneouvure nearly always works.
C) midwives are trained to deal with it, and nearly all manoeuvres are doable at home
D) there are a number of pointers that suggest SD might happen well in advance, (for ex very sliw birth if the head with lots of in-and-outing). This gives you plenty of time to transfer, if that's how you want to handle it.

I was quite nervous of SD, because my MW tried to scare me with it, so I looked it up. I was quite reassured by what I found. I'll dig the links out for you :flower:

Shoulder dystocia references:

https://www.themidwifenextdoor.com/?p=867

https://www.midwiferytoday.com/enews/enews0103.asp

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/shoulders.htm

I hope this baby doesn't go into the same position but if they choose to al least this time I can get on with it in any position I want rather than being stuck on my back! Currently bidding on a birth pool, I'm hopefully in for a bargain, fingers crossed! :)

Dimbo, you're birth story is brilliant :) lovely and informative at the same time!

A tip for those of you in the uk, my midwife said to pop to millets or somewhere and buy a ground sheet to save carpets, especially for a pool, but we went to poundland and picked up a couple of their plastic shower curtains. We only used one in the end, but it worked really well and covered a large Area next tothe birth pool/pool sheet and we just put towels down on top & cream carpet saved! Much cheaper than a groundsheet!

Thanks
x

I never realized this before, but I've learned via my hypnobirthing classes that if your baby is back to back taking the all fours position to get them to turn is your best option. Some mothers need to even then deliver in this way just to keep them that way. If you do manage to get them turned making sure you don't lean back is the best way to make sure they don't turn again. Leaning forward on the back of a chair or sitting forward on your birthing ball should keep LO in the right position.

Hope that helps?

great isnt it how hospitals love to keep you flat on your back?

Dewi was back to back and I got transferred to hospital where after a number of hours being ignored and making no progress (still) i was laid flat on my back on a monitor and drip and only got to 9.5 cm and ended up with a EMCS.

Mind you no one in the birthing centre said get on all fours it might help. GRRRRRR

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna spend alot of time on my hands and knees during early labour this time :)

A tip for those of you in the uk, my midwife said to pop to millets or somewhere and buy a ground sheet to save carpets, especially for a pool, but we went to poundland and picked up a couple of their plastic shower curtains. We only used one in the end, but it worked really well and covered a large Area next tothe birth pool/pool sheet and we just put towels down on top & cream carpet saved! Much cheaper than a groundsheet!

That's what we did too. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->