Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

During labour you can have the pool at whatever temperature is comfortable for you. It's for the second stage that you want it to be as close to body temperature (37 degrees c) as possible for the baby to make and easy transition.

I had it very hot, about 40 degrees and only had it topped up once - I was in it for about 6 hours.

I am so glad that you can have the pool hot in the beginning, because i don't think i would like the pool if it was luke warm!

Shifter you made my day!!! I've been taking the temp of my bath to get an idea and I think the coolest I can bear it is about 38 and even then I'd prefer it much hotter! So long as I know I can get in it nice and hot and then let it cool off if I stay in for the 2nd stage :) Smashing!!

Vicyi - towards the start of the thread there's quite a bit of info about home water births and even just a few pages back.

try this site too for https://www.homebirth.org.uk/

MM please add me to the list EDD 16 April Team pink TY

freckleonear Your due on My birthday and not too far away in devon:winkwink: Hello and welcome

I had a visit from my health visitor today. She was delighted to hear I was having a homebirth. I mentioned at at my 1st booking appointment and not much has been said since either way which I was begining to get a bit concerned about , butthte health visitor said that the Devon and Cornwall area were very pro HB's she said with my permission she would even attend too:thumbup:
Now it's clear why they did'nt say anything as they are just leaving it till nearer the time to make all the arrangments, It's just for you to decide where you want to be and they arrange for that at the time:thumbup:

My HV also said to have a look around the birthing center anyway as you get a private room thats like a little hotel room. You have the baby there and theres tea and coffe making things a microwave etc and your partner can stay with you!!!! So I have to say if all goes T*ts up and I end up there the thought of it doesn't sound so bad, whereas b4 I was petrified of anything going wrong and being transfered, so another weight off my mind should make it even better and calmer.

ER I was watching a programme on the tv Called HB diarys and there was a lady on there that was VVV big ( not that I'm saying your big You just mentioned a high BMI) and she had no probs at all the midwifes had no concerns for her and she delivered a 9lb 7oz baby with gas and air in a pool. The pain thing....well untill you get to that point no one can say how you'll cope so ok you may get so far and not be able to cope as it's your first you just don't know, but they could still plan for a HB and see how far you get. Its your choise just tell them "ITS WHAT YOU WANT" I don't think they can say no unless theres a valid medical reason that would put you or baby in danger. The only other consideration is distance in some cases if there were a problem and you are a long way from a hospital a transfer would not be viable if they cannot get you there quickly try having a search on the interweb to see what you can dig up on your local HA guidlines or policies. It may help next time you have to talk to some condescending idiots...quote their own policies and just make them look stupid:haha:

Sorry for the confusion about the temp! I meant for the second stage it had to be 37 (body temp). I had mine as hot as we could in an old house with a knackered boiler (which has thankfully been replaced!)

Hi. Just a quick question.
Was just wondering how you went about having a home water birth? For EG where do you get the birthing pool from? How much? What else do you need etc
I think we are deffo going for a HB but MW asked if i was hoping for a water birth? I dont even know where to start? x

I did some research about different pools both inflatable ones and rigid hire pools and decided to buy an inflatable one. I think it was about £60 just for the pool but if you want the accessories like the pump etc it was a bit more.

The main two inflatable types are the La Bassine pool (which is the one I used) and the pool in a box (mothercare sell this one). You can hire heated pools for the couple of weeks around your due date and these generally stay up for that time. I think the average cost was about £300.

Hope that helps!

Hi Everyone,

So just come back from first consultant appt, well I didnt get to see him. I saw a midwife and a doctor, but glucose tolerance test came back as normal, bp is normal, urine is normal. I have to come back next week for a growth scan, why? Because of my BMI,it was 35 on booking in. Sigh. The midwife and the doctor were shocking, they completely shot down my consideration of a home birth saying they think its completely unwise to do that for a first birth and that if they were me, they would " go where the drugs are " . They said, " why dont you want an epidural? I said, I wanted to have as natural labour as possible and they said..." Ah thats what you say now! :growlmad:" They then started joking around saying " she is confident isnt she? " Well actually, I am not confident at all! :wacko: Seriously, I must have idiot written on my forehead since becoming pregnant as I have never been spoken to like this in my life. I called the birth centre inside the hospital, and they said that because my BMI is 35 they wont let me have my baby there so that back up is out of the window. They were so negative about homebirth it was untrue, and I feel like I am losing my will to look into it further as no one I talk to seems to be pro-homebirth at all.

Just called community midwife, and she said there attitude wasnt good really but even she cant give me a definate answer as to whether I would be allowed a homebirth as she says its way too early to consider one and they usually like to look at me at around 37 weeks, feel the position/size of the baby and make up there mind then. Sigh. She said she will talk birthing plans with me at 34 weeks and will put her " homebirth hat " on ( her words ) to see whether I look fit enough to have one. Oh ok, so she has suddenly got amnesia and cant remember what I looked like from last week friday?

I just feel like giving up to be honest. I am losing faith fast in the health profession, and to think I want to be a doctor someday :dohh: Sorry for the rant on your thread Lisa as I know your trying to keep it positive on here just needed to let someone know x x x

I'm up on my soap box!!! sorry ladies - I did encounter alot of this!!

ER - please don't think that any of this is to have ago at you, in any way - I just want to use your experiance to highlight, which I think is a problem generally.

Here we go...

I think that sometimes, some medical people (not MW's in the whole, I add) have a real problem with Home births.

Don't give up your resolve, if it is want you want go for it - of course, be well informed, consider all the facts (and I really mean facts, not just opinions) Your a mother from the moment you are pregnant - you will not do anything to harm yourself or your baby intentionally. WHY, oh why don't they understand this??!

Like the other ladies on here, I'm shocked about the "allowed to" "let you" terminology used. I had my home birth with gestational diabetes. I saw my consultant (who incidentally, had a vested interest in GD - the wonders of research)

I took him head on. (but I had to add that I wasn't going to NOT see him, I did value his education, and opinion, and wanted to see if there truly was anything that I had missed)

I was aware of all the risks and his clinical research - and didn't feel there was any clinical indication that applied to me. (long story short; but baby wasn't measuring big at term - I had agreed to a scan - I wanted to know and take my decision on clinical evidence, not policy, or self interest)

At the end of an hour appointment, (~scheduled for 15min.. sorry to the ladies that had to wait) he knew he was on a loosing battle - he said "what about if you go over term, what then?" I said I was happy to go to 42 weeks, but I worded it this way - I would compromise with him, I wouldn't want to risk, me or the baby, I would agree to have another scan at 41 weeks to check if the placenta's functionality was sufficient, and baby was still not measuring big. (which I knew was going to be very unlikely)

I left there, saying "I appreciate your help, you expertise, guidance, and experience; but you should admit to me, that being a hospital-bound consultant, with many years in this hospital environment; you should concede to me that, you had had very little contact with ladies who have entirely normal births, as your forte was best used in emergency situations - for which, the ladies under his care must, as I would be, be very grateful.
but, I'm not his candidate. My body is prepared for this, and has be preparing for 9 months, there isn't a single clinical reason (the really significant reason for me be defiant), that you can give me to be under your care, and be induced, or have a c-section (as yet - I admitted, that if needs be then, fair enough). I was, and determined, to experience a normal delivery.. as nature intended!" - he couldn't refute it!!!

He made no subsequent appointments for me; noted an open referral to see him. I agreed, and I would make my own appointments with him, if required for his help, if necessary, and I would be grateful for his help if the need arose.

I also saw a Diabetic nurse who commented that I "WILL" now be having my baby in the main hospital unit, to which I replied why, and they said “they wouldn't allow you to birth in the birth center - I just starkly told her I was having a home birth, and she told me they wouldn’t sanction that - I let rip on her!!! Poor woman. I told her it was my body, there is no “let” or “allow” - there migth be recommended, or policy… but never let or allow, I did in no uncertain terms, told her to “watch her language” (that’s a direct quote) ahhhhh the frustration!!!! I can totally understand why women are slowly coxed into hospital care - even when they don’t want to be!…. I’m not saying that being in hospital is bad, just trying to keep the options open.

I also had a similar conversation with my G.P (a 38 wk appointment, as my midwife was on holiday). He commented "your brave" , when hearing about where I had planned to have the labour and delivery, to which I just let out a lung full of air, and said "yep, I'm getting allot of that" He immediately backed dow and felt embarrassed (not sure he had much choice!!!).

I told him, during medical school, didn't you first study the natural process of the body to help you understand it's complications for which you would be required; well child birth is a natural physiological process and it CAN be natural - even in the 21st century!!.. and in fact, for the majority of women it IS.
I earnt his respect. (which I must add i shouldn't have had too. His was a personal comment, which shouldn't have had any place in my appointment with him) He was, to his credit, very interested, in me and my home birth, and later, when he did my little babies check up at home, (first Dr that she ever had seen!!), he commented and congratulated me, on awaking him to the "beauty of birth" (his words - no kidding!!) I felt all rosy after that!! G.P'S sometimes have a rough, front-line ride, but it is the part of there job they love, and so will, with a little less persuasion than the clinicians at the hospital, embrace you and your child!

I do have to say that it is awful, that you have to really go armed with these people... childbirth is a natural physiological process.. (sorry to repeat myself - but I found myself doing allot of that), as yes things can go wrong, but they are there if you need them, and it is a small proportion of the population..

Believe in yourself, we are not so badly evolved!!! There is nothing to be scared of.

xxxx

My HV also said to have a look around the birthing center anyway as you get a private room thats like a little hotel room. You have the baby there and theres tea and coffe making things a microwave etc and your partner can stay with you!!!! So I have to say if all goes T*ts up and I end up there the thought of it doesn't sound so bad, whereas b4 I was petrified of anything going wrong and being transfered, so another weight off my mind should make it even better and calmer.

I have no wish to worry you, but if you transfer in labour it will be to hospital not the birth centre. Birth centres are equipped as home birth units, you get nothing there that you don't get at home.

Excellent post bournefree :thumbup:

For anyone who is interested, my support group, Airedale Mums, is available to chat to anyone having difficulties with their NHS maternity service. (Not much on our website yet, but we also have a facebook group)

We're campaigning for better provision of choice for women during pregnancy and birth.

add me please lisa...2nd april pink bump:)
Anyone know if you can use a paddling pool for a waterbirth? Damn site cheaper than buying a birthpool if i can as im sure i saw a youtube vid where a kiddies paddlin pool was used

add me please lisa...2nd april pink bump:)
Anyone know if you can use a paddling pool for a waterbirth? Damn site cheaper than buying a birthpool if i can as im sure i saw a youtube vid where a kiddies paddlin pool was used

There are no problems with that, but believe me, you will want the depth that a birth pool can give you. if you can find a kids pool, that will go up to your ribs, and still have space around you - brilliant. I love sinking into the water in each contraction.
I lifted druing it and then sank into the water at the hight... it was blisss. - but as always you might be different!

Also lots of ladies have commented about the temperature; I found that as your muscles are working so hard, even body temp, felt a bit warm.

My 1 stage in the pool, getting it to 40oC, I had to top it up a bit, when it was feeling a bit cool, but this was over 4 hours during which the heating was on at 22oC ..but I had an hour 15min 2nd stage, and I was sweating, the mw, keeped checking my water temp anyway (ready for the baby) but no time during active labour was it toppped up.. I wouldn't have been able to stand it as hot!! (i.e more than 37oc) I was spraying myself with cool water!! It's a huge phyiscal exersion, and actually used a hot water bath during early labour, to slow down my contrations and have a sleep - in the bath!!

So don't worry about the temp being hot, even if you normally like a bath that way, you won't want it during labour!!

xxxx

Hi to all the new ladies. It's so great to see so many people on this thread. :)

Bournefree that was an awesome post, thank you. You're really great inspiration for being strong, trusting yourself and advocating for your wishes.

ER, I'm disgusted by the way you were treated.:growlmad: You really have had a rough time with medical professionals this week, haven't you? Stay strong, sweetie. :hugs:

We have been booked in to have our homebirth assessment visit on Monday morning - so pleased!! :happydance:

Really cant wait for it all to happen now!

Could I be added to the list please? Im due on 27th Feb - same as MandaAnda

I hope nobody minds, but I have a message of support and advice for ER (and anyone else with similar issues) from a member of my local MSLC:

I am so sorry you have been treated in this way. It is wrong and they should not have done so. It really contravenes the spirit and the text of the maternity matters, world class commissioning etc etc. that your hospital and midwives are working towards.

First of all why a growth scan? Is it your growth they are worried about or the babies? Big women do not necessarily birth big babies – or small ones either.

BMI is not straight forward either and without getting too personal I would suggest finding some more helpful people in the London area to talk to. MW Diane Garland talks about BMI for waterbirth. She says if women are big ( tall/broad and heavy) and have a high BMI it is very different to short people (English apple) having a high BMI. Water can help with weight anyway. However, instead of treating each woman individually we get blanket policies.

Poo-pooing your aspiration for a normal birth is appalling – the high intervention rate and low homebirth rate are testament to their attitude and care.

Your community midwife is right to say that a final assessment needs to be made nearer the birth but there is absolutely no reason why you should not be discussing the matter and working towards your goal. It gives you time to research, reflect, change lifestyle, make choices so that there are no great surprises for you at 34 weeks – other than baby and fate.

I would suggest dropping AIMS an email - they are the experts in getting what you want out of the NHS www.AIMS.org

Find a knowledgeable midwfe or doula and talk things through – there are for instance some fabulous Independent Midwives in London who would give you a different take on your situation. I can put you in touch with a couple if that helps.

Finally if you have the time and guts, write it down and complain. Your main objection is language and attitude, and lack of support to make healthy choices for you and your baby. Always copy it to your MP who is a great protector of bad practice in response to complaints. You may get a good response but you may well not, but the complaint goes on their system and has to be logged and it goes on the Health Commissions stats. The more people who complain about bad care the more likely something will get done about it. Cf Airedale Mums. If you don’t feel you can now, write a letter and post it after you have been signed off by the midwives. Just bang something off to them.

Support from like-minded people really helps – AIMS may have people in your area so ask, check their list of homebirth groups in your area. They can be good places to get local knowledge of how and where to get what what you want. That is how we run Choices in Childbirth, Yorkshire.

Finally if you have the time and guts, write it down and complain. Your main objection is language and attitude, and lack of support to make healthy choices for you and your baby. Always copy it to your MP who is a great protector of bad practice in response to complaints. You may get a good response but you may well not, but the complaint goes on their system and has to be logged and it goes on the Health Commissions stats.

That's very useful to know - thanks.

I've updated the OP with everyone's due dates and bump colours now so if I missed you let me know :)

Could you add me? I'm not due for a few months but we are definitely planning for a home birth. I'm due July 22 and am on team yellow until our gender scan. :) Thanks!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that post BourneFree, you have given me a lot of confidence. All this " allowing " talk should simply not be allowed..:haha:

Shifter - That reply you got was amazing, and I showed it to my fiance. What is MSLC by the way, I am definately going to take all of the advice in that reply you got and put it into action this week.

But I have spent the whole evening having a good chat with my OH we spent the best part of 3 hours researching online, and looking at links posted on this thread and I have decided that with my OH support along with all of your brilliant support on this thread, I am going to plan for a homebirth. :cloud9: I know in my heart it is the right thing to do, and I believe my body can do what it was designed to do.

So my wording at my 33 week midwife appointment will be different, I will be saying that I have decided to have a homebirth, I would be very greatful if we can talk home birthing plans. I have had a complication free pregnancy so far, there is no reason why I can not have one. Obviously, if my BP was to raise or anything came up from now until 37-42 weeks that would put mine or Abigails health at risk I would definately transfer to the hospital without a doubt.

I strongly agree with Bournefree and Shifter about being armed with facts. I intend to go to all my consultant appointments, and listen to all advice given but if I think about it everything so far really has been in my favour.

I just want to thank everyone so far who has taken the time to reply and support me with this, I couldnt have come to this decision to go ahead and plan a homebirth without you all.

:hugs:

Now, for that homebirth blinkie.. :cloud9:

Oh I am due April 21st MM. Thought I would add this website I found, its American but I still managed to take a lot from it. https://www.motherbabymidwifery.com/motherbabymidwifery/Homebirth.html x x

I'm sure it's probably mentioned earlier in the post, but I thought I'd bring it up again. :)

My favorite book so far was Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Not only is it informative, it is an extremely empowering book. Reading the book made me feel so much more secure in pregnancy and my bodies ability to give birth naturally. There are also stories involving older woman, breech births, etc. I think every pregnant woman should read it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->