Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Hi Kisywisy,

Not heard of anyone using an airbed, but people have used beanbags on their lounge floor before - just covering them with shower curtains or a waterproof backed dust sheet. They sound good for getting into more active birth positions! :)

Welcome kisywisy! I agree with moomin and could see an airbed being tricky. I'm also planning a water birth but if that doesn't happen I can see me being on my knees up against something like a chair or my DH. We have a lovely new mattress and I'm not sure I want to risk it! Lol Like moomin I was stuck on my back on a bed in stirrups so anything to get away from that.

A blow up bed would be a nightmare! The clean up after a bed birth is easy. When you are in early labour you (or your birth partner) strip the bed put your favourite clean fitted sheet on. Then cover this sheet (and so the mattress) with 2 shower curtains. Place another old fitted sheet over the top and put your favourite clean duvet cover on - the whole duvet will be moved when you are in labour - in another room or just out of the way in your bedroom. Have clean pillow slips with it just in case.
Your MWs will put the same inconti pads on your bed as they would on their own hospital beds - they soak up A LOT! If you want to be doubly sure you can put a towel down too.
Give birth.... :lol:
While you are getting cleaned up your MWs/birth partner/s simply bin the inconti pads (mws take all this kind of stuff away with them) and chucks the top sheet (and towel if used) in the wash, removes the shower curtains (to reveal cripsy fav sheet beneath) replaces the duvet and pillows on the bed (they dont usually need new pillow slips but they are to hand if you want everything super fresh and yummy to get into!) and voila! You get in to crispy clean bedding before you can say 'crack open the champers love!'. :winkwink: Typed out that sounds long but it's 5 mins prep and 5 mins to sort after.

A blow up bed would be a nightmare! The clean up after a bed birth is easy. When you are in early labour you (or your birth partner) strip the bed put your favourite clean fitted sheet on. Then cover this sheet (and so the mattress) with 2 shower curtains. Place another old fitted sheet over the top and put your favourite clean duvet cover on - the whole duvet will be moved when you are in labour - in another room or just out of the way in your bedroom. Have clean pillow slips with it just in case.
Your MWs will put the same inconti pads on your bed as they would on their own hospital beds - they soak up A LOT! If you want to be doubly sure you can put a towel down too.
Give birth.... :lol:
While you are getting cleaned up your MWs/birth partner/s simply bin the inconti pads (mws take all this kind of stuff away with them) and chucks the top sheet (and towel if used) in the wash, removes the shower curtains (to reveal cripsy fav sheet beneath) replaces the duvet and pillows on the bed (they dont usually need new pillow slips but they are to hand if you want everything super fresh and yummy to get into!) and voila! You get in to crispy clean bedding before you can say 'crack open the champers love!'. :winkwink: Typed out that sounds long but it's 5 mins prep and 5 mins to sort after.

Love this 'how to' guide! I am planning a water birth but also know I may change my mind on the day, so I am going to follow this plan as well just in case!
Love the thought of getting into beautiful clean sheets with my new baby :cloud9:

That sounds great I'm just not up for giving birth in my bed - I cant even explain why really.

I'd rather be in the living room theres more room to move around and different stuff to lean on.

Lucky - I didnt plan on being on my bed at all. I had a pool and a birth stool. I still did this with the bed though and I'm glad I did because I did lay on the bed for about 45 mins for a rest and it meant it was an option and mess didnt even enter my head. I got off to give birth on the stool. :)

Lucky - I didnt plan on being on my bed at all. I had a pool and a birth stool. I still did this with the bed though and I'm glad I did because I did lay on the bed for about 45 mins for a rest and it meant it was an option and mess didnt even enter my head. I got off to give birth on the stool. :)

Yeah, that's a good call - even if you don't actually birth on the bed it sounds like a good plan to have options throughout labour.

I am not too fussed about the idea of giving birth on the bed anyway....I figure I will just do it wherever I want on the day!

Clean sheets are always nice anyway!

Kisywisy - I read a birth story where someone made themselves a 'nest' to give birth in...I think she had a foam mattress and blankets and made a cosy little area for herself - kind of like a cat! Maybe something like that could work if you aren't keen on using your bed?

I like the idea of all options being ready. I also LOVE getting in clean sheets!! Who doesnt! and especially after your perfect home birth....bliss!! :cloud9:

This is what appeals to me about homebirth, being able to kick back on your own sofa or relax in your own bed with clean sheets and call for a takeaway and RELAX and smile and enjoy it.

no stupid visiting hours, uncomfortable beds, strangers wandering around being prodded poked and annoyed and hospital food ergh!

Ah any food would be good, despite having been in hospital for a total of about 40 hours they managed to have absolutely no food for me. I was offered a tuna sandwich at midnight. I'm vegetarian. Having popped in for an unnecessary internal last week I'm even more militant about being at home and not being messed with.

Must do something about the bed though. My waters went early last time and luckily I awoke at the first trickle so no mess but I don't want to deck our lovely mattress! We've got a change mat from the nappy lady that's basically a smaller piece of a mattress cover. Waterproof, absorbant, washable and soft feeling. Thinking of investing in a big bit for the bed pre-labour.

When i was transferred I was told dont eat too much 'just in case' not that I was really offered much and what I was offered in labour was gross and only what was left at the end of the rounds. talk about being set up to fail. The day after was adequate I guess, I did enjoy the porridge and yoghurt for brekkie the next day although that may be the morphine talking.

HUbby got nothing and there was nothing open being boxing day, all thee was was a half empty vending machine! it's no wonder my dustbin of a hubby felt faint by the time I got sent to theatre and ended up not coming with me as he felt to faint and wouldnt handle it.

You can get those pads from the supermarket PB - toddlers 'Dry Nites' or in Boots. I think I paid £1.99 for 10 from Aldi. My waters have gone in bed all 3 times! Fortunately I slept with a pad under me with #2 and #3 after it happened with #1!

You can get those pads from the supermarket PB - toddlers 'Dry Nites' or in Boots. I think I paid £1.99 for 10 from Aldi. My waters have gone in bed all 3 times! Fortunately I slept with a pad under me with #2 and #3 after it happened with #1!

Is this what you're talking about? That's a great idea so you don't need a full mattress protector on it.

A few people have said that puppy training mats are just as good as the baby bed wetting kind of ones and you may be able to get them cheaply.

yes Jenni. Puppy pads, incontinence mats, toddler bed mats, maternity mats, disposable changing mats.....all the same thing and do the same job. The Aldi ones I get for my ladies are disposable nappy changing mats. You can hunt around for them but for some by the time you've driven about it's cheaper to just buy the ones easiest available to you.

We have an Aldi near us so I'll have to take a look when things get a bit furthur along. I cant believe I'm 21 weeks now!

Hee uploading my xmas gift to itunes...Natal Hypnotherapy for VBAC CD's.

This is the one I meant https://www.thenappylady.co.uk/public/productdetails.aspx?id=40&cat=5. More expensive but once I'm done with babies I can use it for nighttime kiddy widdles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->