Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

We've been using the changing mat for nearly 2 years now and it's very good.

Tesco sell the maternity mat things fairly cheep. Any left over ones are good for night time nappy changes.

This is the one I meant https://www.thenappylady.co.uk/public/productdetails.aspx?id=40&cat=5. More expensive but once I'm done with babies I can use it for nighttime kiddy widdles.

Wow that looks amazing. Do you think I could buy the large one for my waters now and then cut it down to size for a few changing pads for later? I wonder if cutting it though would mess it up some how.

Great mat plans folks. I've just bought a pack of puppy training mats from the local pet shop for £1.99 for wherever I want to be on the day and we've got a fitted waterproof mattress protector that cost about £5 from a cheapo homewares shop in town. That reminds me we really must put it on. My waters went in bed last time...

On the mattress front, my parents moved house and downsized last year. They had a single mattress looking for a new home so we took it and have set it up as a day bed (we used the slats from the old bed and screwed them to two lengths of timber then popped a few legs on to raise it slightly - all offcuts we already had lying around in the shed) in the room I plan to birth in. It's old and tatty, though looks lovely with a throw and a load of cushions on it, and it means I don't have to worry about destroying it with random body fluids as it can go straight to the tip afterwards if needs be. I've had several clients who've used an old foam mattress on the floor for birthing - the foam ones are easiest because they can be rolled up for storage beforehand. I don't know if you're a member of your local freegle/freecycle group but there are regularly mattresses being offered up on the ones near us.

I gave birth on my knees over the sofa last time, and two inco pads and a couple of towels were all it took to handle all the mess - our floor was spotless. The last birth I attended took place in the bed with mum on her knees and one inco pad caught it all. We didn't even need to change the sheet! It really isn't that messy a process if handled well. :)

Gina. x

This is the one I meant https://www.thenappylady.co.uk/public/productdetails.aspx?id=40&cat=5. More expensive but once I'm done with babies I can use it for nighttime kiddy widdles.

Wow that looks amazing. Do you think I could buy the large one for my waters now and then cut it down to size for a few changing pads for later? I wonder if cutting it though would mess it up some how.

I'd thought about doing that too. Looking at my small mat I don't see why not has it hasn't got a fancy edge in any way, no stitching even, just looks cut. I'm sure they website would say if you emailed.

Please send happy home birth vibes this way. We think my waters may have started to go this morning (either that or I momentarily lost all bladder control) and having just spent a while timing them my braxton hicks contractions are now coming every 4-9 minutes. They're pretty erratic and most are painless. At their worst they're like mild period pains. I still don't quite believe this could be it, but I know if a client was experiencing this then I'd be on high alert. With DD, hard and regular contractions kicked in the moment my waters went, so this is quite different. I think an early night might be in order...

Watch this space!

Gina. x

ETA: After recent posts I thought you'd like to know that my waters (assuming that's what they were) went in bed this morning before we'd put the waterproof sheeting on. Again. I clearly never learn...

Please send happy home birth vibes this way. We think my waters may have started to go this morning (either that or I momentarily lost all bladder control) and having just spent a while timing them my braxton hicks contractions are now coming every 4-9 minutes. They're pretty erratic and most are painless. At their worst they're like mild period pains. I still don't quite believe this could be it, but I know if a client was experiencing this then I'd be on high alert. With DD, hard and regular contractions kicked in the moment my waters went, so this is quite different. I think an early night might be in order...

Watch this space!

Gina. x

ETA: After recent posts I thought you'd like to know that my waters (assuming that's what they were) went in bed this morning before we'd put the waterproof sheeting on. Again. I clearly never learn...

:dust: Consider this happy homebirthing dust!

You know that sounds like trickling waters! How exciting! Best wishes for a lovely home birth!

Ooh hoping this is it for you snagglepat, happy homebirth vibes coming your way!

Be an angel and send them back this way when you're done with them though please as theres absolutely nothing happening for me! A day and a bit to my dd, come on baby, we all can't wait to meet you.

With Seth they put a monitor on his head when I was giving birth so I couldn't move about & I was in the most horrible position, they made me lie on my side and it hurt & I couldn't move around. I'd like to avoid that this time :/

Looking forward to going to the home birth meeting on Sunday and finding out more :) Hubby & I both have a few more questions before I make a final decision, I'm not sure what though? Just don' feel 100% confident at the moment about it I don't know why :/ did anyone else feel like that? I feel like it's the best decision to make for a number of reasons but I still feel hesitant.

I guess its still early days though. That's probably why :)

xx

Ooo thinking of you Snagglepat! Sending you many happy home birth vibes xxxxx

Looking forward to going to the home birth meeting on Sunday and finding out more :) Hubby & I both have a few more questions before I make a final decision, I'm not sure what though? Just don' feel 100% confident at the moment about it I don't know why :/ did anyone else feel like that? I feel like it's the best decision to make for a number of reasons but I still feel hesitant.

I guess its still early days though. That's probably why :)

xx

Hey Linzi, I understand the not feeling 100% confident....I always knew I was going to try for a home birth but that's because it is very much in my family culture and I have grown up around it. But that doesn't mean that worries or dips in confidence don't happen. I think it's because we get so bombarded with negative birth messages and also that home birth can be the target of a lot of (uninformed!) criticism. We internalise these messages all our lives so I think it's normal that they pop up from time to time. Well, that's what I think happens for me sometimes!

I hope that your home birth meeting goes well and eases some of your concerns!

Hi Linzi,

Despite having had a wonderful home birth last time I still had some wobbles about planning one again. I think it's very normal, no matter what our birth choices to question whether we're doing the right thing. I'm sure the home birth group will help - I'm off to our local one tonight if I'm not actually in the process of having a home birth myself by then. :)

I'm still here. I had some definite trickling as I got ready for bed last night so I think it was my waters yesterday. I continued to have contractions every 5-10 minutes through the night at the times I was awake but I had no issues getting off to sleep again so am relatively well rested this morning. The contractions have eased a little since I've been up and about and there has been no more leakage. Looks like this one is going to be of the slow build variety.

Pinkie, let's share birthy vibes. We may even end up having our home births on the same day. :)

Gina. x

Ohhhhhhhh good stuff miss pat!

Stay rested and I'll be thinking of you!

Linzi i still wasent 100% confidant about it untill i was reaslised i couldent have one and then i realised how much i wanted it:dohh:

Sodd it, im staying in his thread, i cant stay away. Might have a home birth for number 3 if number 2 goes ok lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->