Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Ladies!!

Hit me with you best online resources for a mama wobbling about going post dates!! I've spoken to her at length and her main worry is her hubby wobbling under pressure from the consultant. He's a man so he wants facts and figures! She's 42 weeks and while up to now they've been supportive at the hospital i know her next appointment they will be pulling out the scare tactics to push them down the induction route. She's not a home birther in the locational sense but definitely in the state of mind!

Give me what you've got!! :thumbup:

I thought that Daily Mail article was useful..:?
I'll have a look what else I can trawl up!
Xx
Edit, I was talking about this with an independant MW about one of our ladies under pressure to be induced. Her responce was "Well she's only 4 days over term" I think we all some times forget 42 weeks is term.. and not think of it like I'm 2 weeks over EDD.

Theres the FB group 10 month mommas (cant access FB here at work so cant give you the link)

good old homebirth.org

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/overdue.htm

and all their links about post dates pregnancy

https://www.homebirth.org.uk/overdue.htm#links

Some articles from Midwifery Today

https://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/timely.asp?a=1&r=1&e=1&q=post+dates

scroll down to Due Dates
https://www.midwiferytoday.com/enews/enews0347.asp?a=1&r=1&e=1&q=post+dates#main

Scroll down to postdates pregnancy
https://www.midwiferytoday.com/enews/enews0811.asp?a=1&r=1&e=1&q=post+dates

Woohoo!! It's brilliant when you start to feel like a plan is coming together, and you order a few bits, and get things through the post!! Bet you when it arrives you will be itching to put it up!!

What type of pool are you getting? i'll help you look for a liner... Need a break from writting letters, and something to do while I eat my lunch. Which has only been Wotsits so far! :-(
XxX

Hehe, now you've made me want wotsits and there is none in the house and i'm stuck indoors waiting for a new freezer to turn up :rofl:

I'm getting the regular pool in a box :thumbup: pick it up friday from a lady just in the next town! how handy was that!? but she used it for pain relief (ended up with emergancy c-section :() so it just needs a liner but is otherwise pretty much new :D

Need a liner before next tues really as will be 37wks then! and oh yes, I'm so putting it up at the weekend ;), just gotta persuade DH to shift one of the sofas out the lounge to make space!

Thanks girls I've sent her all those just wondering what other gems we might have too! You are all stars :D

Only 2 papers I can find so far and they are from the U.S
1 - A commentary based on a reanalysis of data argues strongly against the SOGC guidelines, stating that the risks of post-term pregnancies are very small and that the benefit of a policy of routine labor induction was overestimated because of cesarean deliveries resulting from fetal distress.
Menticoglou SM, Hall PF. Routine induction of labour at 41 weeks gestation: nonsensus consensus. BJOG. 2002;109:485–91

2 - The argument can be made to allow pregnancy to continue with no upper limit to gestational age.
ACOG practice patterns. Management of postterm pregnancy. Number 6, October 1997. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1998;60:86–91.

Good discussion on Mums net - (Googled it.. I haven't abandoned you!) Anyone had expectant management after 42 weeks ?
(27 Posts)
https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childb...ectant-management-after-42-weeks/AllOnOnePage

XxX

I do think men find it particularly helpful to have figures esp. a "range of normals" - a one sentence explanation would be that anything between 38 and 42 weeks is normal, and if she went at 38 weeks it wouldn't be worryingly early, similarly 42 weeks isn't worryingly late. Definitions of "post-dates" and "post-term", things we take for granted in their meaning but aren't really well known, particularly by the unfairer sex!!

Woohoo!! It's brilliant when you start to feel like a plan is coming together, and you order a few bits, and get things through the post!! Bet you when it arrives you will be itching to put it up!!

What type of pool are you getting? i'll help you look for a liner... Need a break from writting letters, and something to do while I eat my lunch. Which has only been Wotsits so far! :-(
XxX

Hehe, now you've made me want wotsits and there is none in the house and i'm stuck indoors waiting for a new freezer to turn up :rofl:

I'm getting the regular pool in a box :thumbup: pick it up friday from a lady just in the next town! how handy was that!? but she used it for pain relief (ended up with emergancy c-section :() so it just needs a liner but is otherwise pretty much new :D

Need a liner before next tues really as will be 37wks then! and oh yes, I'm so putting it up at the weekend ;), just gotta persuade DH to shift one of the sofas out the lounge to make space!

I got my liner off of ebay in the end. I looked everywhere to find one with out having to pay the shipping fee, as if the price of it isn't high enough! I know you may need it by Tuesday but if in the end you don't have a liner it's not that bad. All it really does it make for easier clean up in the end. Hubby and I filled it up numerous times before the big day without a liner in it and on the day when there was one it didn't feel any different.

thanks jenni, I managed to find a site that only charged £3.50 p+p. Still a lot of money but as my pools not new i do want a new liner :D.

xxx

If anyone ever needs / wants it I have a copy of the AIMS Induction booklet :)

Yawn. That thread is still going. What's with these people? "I work for the NHS therefore thoroughly understand all the budgeting and management decisions." Whatever.

Why thankyou for that PB. I came to this thread to do some more research on Homebirthing and on yours and Bournefree's recommendation as I am wanting as natural birth as possible and want more tips from experience mommas after experiencing 'that' thread and also because I was informed by yourselves what a nice supportive bunch you are!

Sorry ladies for poking my nose in, some good links btw, I will have a good read through them now. I'm also very interested in post date induction information so I can make my decision early should I go over my EDD so those links are useful thankyou very much :flower:

Yawn. That thread is still going. What's with these people? "I work for the NHS therefore thoroughly understand all the budgeting and management decisions." Whatever.

Why thankyou for that PB. I came to this thread to do some more research on Homebirthing and on yours and Bournefree's recommendation as I am wanting as natural birth as possible and want more tips from experience mommas after experiencing 'that' thread and also because I was informed by yourselves what a nice supportive bunch you are!

Sorry ladies for poking my nose in, some good links btw, I will have a good read through them now. I'm also very interested in post date induction information so I can make my decision early should I go over my EDD so those links are useful thankyou very much :flower:

Please stay, we would really like your input, and any experience you have to offer.

PB's comment is a mark of the frustration that we all experience as women who have made home birth choices.. We get alot of grief from all corners.. some from within our own families... So you have to excuse the naturally defensive and protective postion we have of each other. We all too often find ourselves having to justify or choices, which really shouldn't be necessary. I don't know of another area of birth choice that can promote such hostility among the general population. I think this is because our numbers are small.. so, other women are not coming into contact with other women who have had a homebirth. It has been suggested that when the levels of home birth rise above 5%, it is likely to take a massive jump upwards - as we are likely to meet women who have had a homebirth in our everyday spheres. In the face of opposition, we seek each other out for support. But hohum.. It makes us all quite strong minded ad equiped to defend our positions.

There isn't too much information about regarding women who have gone over term. (i.e 42 weeks) I'm struggling to find data... (there is lots of comment, mostly about theoretical risk) I'm guessing there isn't the numbers to produce any figures - most women either go into spontanious labour or choose to be induced (though admittedly under considerable and mounting pressure). It is NICE guidelines to offer induction techniques at 12 post EDD.. but so its expectant management. It is often this wait and see approach that doesn't get communicated to women. As it isn't ACTION, it is inaction.
XxXX

OK ladies - tell me about pre-eclampsia and homebirth - am I right in thinking it's a no no?

I am not a stress bunny about things - but I have a worry I have started some of the symptoms (floating stripe in vision, headache, swollen hands and feet and a dull ache under right ribs)

Am going to give myself a couple of hours to see what happens. I'm really stressed at the moment so could be that that is affecting me - am going to get lot so of juice and see after I've eaten lunch. I'm sure I'm probably worrying about nothing but I never EVER get floaters so it's unnerved me a bit :(

I'm sorry Bournefree, you've been extremely helpful throught and I'm very grateful for that but I can't stay in a place where I get slagged off for my input. I can't excuse PB's comment because I doubt it was out of frustration considering I spent my entire time in that thread being very vocal that I am pro-home birthing (it's just not my choice for myself), I am totally pro natural birthing and I gave an example where like yourself I've had to stand up for myself after the terrible care I had received during my pregnancy.

I also backed up my very valid NHS experience (as I am a GP registrar and am involved in the new GP consortia responsible for NHS budgets now, so it stands to reason I do know how things work in the NHS). I'm very saddened by this entire situation. I'm very sorry homebirthers feel frustrated. I've never experienced the negativity you guys say you receive, most of my colleagues (nurses, drs, MWs) I've ever spoken to about this have been extremely pro home birthing. I had a very funny debate with a senior colleague a couple of years ago about it when I was doing hospital work (I've been planning this baby for years) and it ended up our entire ward talking about it, even the patients!

I'm ver frustrated with the lack of info about post-dates induction too, I did wonder if I was looking in the wrong places so I'm really glad I've found these links on here but I don't think I'll stay, sorry. Thanks though :flower:

Just to remind everyone about the facebook group I created as a completely neutral place with no links to anyone or anything where you can talk freely about home birth etc. I'm really upset that this thread which is like my baby, is having negativity brought into it :(

And mrs pop I dont know what's gone on neither am I interested but no one here has 'slagged' anyone of, so thank you for that.

Mervs mum I'm sorry you feel I have brought negativity into your thread. It wasn't my intention and was enjoying reading all the interesting comments until I read the comment slagging me off (which I quoted FYI) and I'm one of these annoying people who don't take that kind of thing lying down. I speak to people with respect on BnB and expect the same back.

Thankyou for your post date induction posts as they have been very useful. I will be unsubscribing from this thread as clearly I'm not welcome and wish you all the best for your homebirths and you all have the births of your dreams as it is what every woman deserves to have.

Bournefree good luck with your fight for your rights. My tip from what happened with me is to speak to the Head of Midwives as we as writing. It seemed to resolve my problem rather quickly by talking to her directly.

I'm sorry you feel that you need to leave the thread MrsPOP. I've looked at peanuts post and I can't see her slagging you off. I see someone who is frustrated. If you have chosen to take it that way I'm not about to spend time trying to change your mind, but I would suggest you take a deep breath!

This thread isn't like that at all - it's one of the nicest threads of the whole site. People here are critical thinkers though and don't take the things told to them at face value but want to understand better. That is why I like it. It's a shame you won't give it a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->