Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

I agree, that tent is awesome! We used to have a big red and white striped circus-like tent when I was younger - so much fun to holiday in!

Just wanted to say that I had my growth scan today...head measurements were pretty normal, abdomen was measuring 3 weeks ahead, and femur length was off the chart - so over 40 weeks! I know weight isn't that accurate, but they have put the baby at over 8 pounds already and in the 97th percentile.

I think I feel fine about all this - I know the weight is just an estimate and also I think this baby is going to be long...I know my body can do it!

I am just wondering if things get more complicated the more overdue you get? I wasn't going to try and do anything to bring on labour, was just going to wait until it happens...but do you think it is worth trying any of the 'natural' methods for starting things happening? Clearly I don't want to have an medical induction, but at the same time would not be sorry if the baby was on time and didn't keep growing :haha:

Oooh I'd love one that was read and white, like a circus tent!! I'm getting a hammock for my daughter to sleep in.

Babies do lay down lots more fat in the last week of pregnancy, so they can store it for the period inbetween they are born and before your milk comes in. However, they change very little in size when you reach term and going over term. (But when IS term for you? = a whole other debate) I should imagine that you have been offered another scan closer to 40 weeks? This will give a clearer indicator of size and if there are any growth changes. Not changing much and baby is nearly really.

I agree with you about having to make difficult choices. With my first I was measuring fine at 39+4 and satisified that there would be little change from there on in. But I was under pressure to be induced in hospital and offered fetal monitoring (which I declined, didn't want to go anywhere near hospital.. I had a real concern they would monitor enough to find the blip they were looking for to evidence some need for induction).. So I did get to work on all the "natural" methods of inducing labour myself, and agreed to a cervical sweep with my MW at 40+2 - my cervix was favourable (so whos to say it wasn't going to happen anyway?).. and she was born almost 48hours later, after the sweep.
I was happy with this action at the time, so I didn't have to be under pressure to be monitored or induced. I was more fed-up with going back and forth to the hospital for appointments, when all I really wanted to do was to relax at home. This time I'm happy to go to 42wks with no interventions at all, and beyond 42 I will except a sweep, and use all my natural methods (lots of sex helped I think.. and was quite good fun - well comical!), and I will take expectant management, (scans to check amino pools and placental function, fetal heart rate checks etc) But I'm still going to ask my health providers not to pressure me, and sit on their hands! As that was the worse part about it.. the pressure.
Oh and post 42.. I will still be expecting to have my homebirth - they are not taking that option away from me, not as long as I want it - ever!
XxX

Started my tablets last night, and am using the 400mg ones I got from Holland and Barratt. Got a few twinges in my back lol but as my stomach muscles and the like are surrender monkeys I am used to my back picking up the slack.

Yes the tea is horrible (DD1 I had plain Raspberry leaf yuk yuk, DD2's tea was better as I managed to find it mixed with natural apple and raspberry flavours) but add it to juice or squash and it takes most of the horrible taste away (even better if you cool it I think)

Got MW later on this afternoon for my 36 week appointment, need to find out about all the stuff I will need for homebirth, also if there are any pools to borrow or hire cheap as our car decided it didn't want to pass MOT on work that could possibly cost £1500 to fix. So been feeling like crap the last few days which as it all started on my birthday kinda sucked for poor ole hormonal me :flower:

my ohs car was the bain of my life lol so i no how u feel. wed get spare money and the car would need fixing. i was a car widow for most of our relationship lol

hope u find a cheap pool to borrow or hire x

Hope so too lol, we are appealing the problems on the fail, because when OH and a work colleague looked a it last night and took it around the block there was no sign of what the problem was. Apparently parts of the suspension are gone causing excessive movement, and part of the steering is going causing problems in the steering wheel. But as this garage have -never- seen a car like ours I am feeling less than sure. I know the Nissan Largo (huge 7 seater) is not so common over here but its not that odd, plus in last years there wasn't even an advisory on those areas and we don't drive it all that often as we don't often all go out as a family.

The parts for the suspension alone cost 200+ exclusive of VAT each and we need all 4 parts done:wacko: OH is now on the phone with VOSA while he is at work lol. Well lets keep my fingers crossed either they are helpful or my family come through with their usual birthday present for me (money lol)

Hope so too lol, we are appealing the problems on the fail, because when OH and a work colleague looked a it last night and took it around the block there was no sign of what the problem was. Apparently parts of the suspension are gone causing excessive movement, and part of the steering is going causing problems in the steering wheel. But as this garage have -never- seen a car like ours I am feeling less than sure. I know the Nissan Largo (huge 7 seater) is not so common over here but its not that odd, plus in last years there wasn't even an advisory on those areas and we don't drive it all that often as we don't often all go out as a family.

The parts for the suspension alone cost 200+ exclusive of VAT each and we need all 4 parts done:wacko: OH is now on the phone with VOSA while he is at work lol. Well lets keep my fingers crossed either they are helpful or my family come through with their usual birthday present for me (money lol)

my oh was a machanic so he did most of the work himself but sometimes u need to take the car to its own garage. we had a renult laguna and they r a bitch to fix. hope u get it sorted x

Ha OH has it booked with a different place (only an MOT centre so no incentive to find fault) apparently a second opinion is allowed. Stupid VOSA man being mean to pregnant ole me hehehe. So fingers crossed for Monday it only has the fault we knew about (bulbs lol) so atm there is light at the end of the tunnel and I may still get what I want, I actually cried yesterday because I thought I would not have my choice. Really don't know why I let myself be really heavily pregnant in March it is not a great time of year for me

Oooh I'd love one that was read and white, like a circus tent!! I'm getting a hammock for my daughter to sleep in.

Babies do lay down lots more fat in the last week of pregnancy, so they can store it for the period inbetween they are born and before your milk comes in. However, they change very little in size when you reach term and going over term. (But when IS term for you? = a whole other debate) I should imagine that you have been offered another scan closer to 40 weeks? This will give a clearer indicator of size and if there are any growth changes. Not changing much and baby is nearly really.

I agree with you habout having to make difficult choices. With my first I was measuring fine at 39+4 and satisified that there would be little change from there on in. But I was under pressure to be induced in hospital and offered fetal monitoring (which I declined, didn't want to go anywhere near hospital.. I had a really concern they would monitor enough to find the blip they were looking for to evidence some need for induction).. So I did get to work on all the "natural" methods of inducing labour myself, and agreeed to a cervical sweep with my MW at 40+2 - my cervix was favourable (so whos to say it wasn't going to happen anyway?).. and she was born almost 48hours later, after the sweep.
I was happy with this action at the time, so I didn't have to be under pressure to be monitored or induced. I was more fed-up with going back and forth to the hospital for appointments, when all I really wanted to do was to relax at home. This time I'm happy to go to 42wks with no interventions at all, and beyond 42 I will except a sweep, and use all my natural methods (lots of sex helped I think.. and was quite good fun - well comical!), and I will take expectant management, (scans to check amino pools and placental function, fetal heart rate checks etc) But I'm still going to ask my health providers not to pressure me, and sit on their hands! As that was the worse part about it.. the pressure.
Oh and post 42.. I will still be expecting to have my homebirth - they are not taking that option away from me, as long as I want it - ever!
XxX

Thanks so much BF, I knew you would have something helpful to tell me about all this!

I am seeing my midwife on Tuesday and I guess we will discuss things from there - I am not sure if I will be having another scan or not....

I guess the only thing I am a bit worried about is the fact that the abdomen is measuring so far ahead, especially if as you say the baby lays down a lot more fat in the last week or so of pregnancy! But hey, maybe this is my last week of pregnancy, you never know!

I think sometimes we get way too much information these days...I mean, I think information is often useful and I am glad that we get to make informed choices - but sometimes I think it ends up causing all sorts of worries that are unnecessary.

My midwife has discussed the option of a sweep if I want it...not sure yet. But maybe attempting some sex will be fun, if nothing else!

I share you worries, and I DO think there is too much testing on women in pregnancy.. (though, for some that is reassuring), but for me it just provides added complexities, and anxious feelings in mum, leaving you more stressed, which could have adverse effects on your stress and your own feelings of well being. We don't all want introduce fears into our pregnancies and to be the "worried well"

The sex we had in late pregnancy, was prob the funniest thing that we have ever experienced and had several goes getting going each time.. as we couldn't keep concentrated for laughing! I just remember the OH saying to me "I haven't got clue how this baby is going to get out, because I CAN'T bloody well get in!" Hahahahaha!! So funny!
XxxX

The sex we had in late pregnancy, was prob the funniest thing that we have ever experienced and had several goes getting going each time.. as we couldn't keep concentrate for laughing! I just remember the OH saying to me "I haven't got clue how this baby is going to get out, because I CAN'T bloody well get in!" Hahahahaha!! So funny!
XxxX

:rofl:

The sex we had in late pregnancy, was prob the funniest thing that we have ever experienced and had several goes getting going each time.. as we couldn't keep concentrated for laughing! I just remember the OH saying to me "I haven't got clue how this baby is going to get out, because I CAN'T bloody well get in!" Hahahahaha!! So funny!
XxxX

:rofl:

I agree about the testing too. We didn't get the blood screening done either pregnancy. I think a good part of the issue is parents not really understanding what the risk factors mean and what the implications would be. There is sometimes a breakdown in thinking about what decisions might be made further down the line. I also think that risks are not put into context appropriately. Going to my favourite GBS, the mortality rate is 1/10000 yet people seem to be crying out for routine testing presumably so they can be reassuredly pumped with unnecessary antibiotics. But how many would opt for amnio if a blood test showed a higher risk of a genetic condition with 1/100 mc rate? I think it would be helpful for risk factors and treatments etc to be fatalities together to put them into context and help with understanding relative risk.

Anyone keeping up with the Japan earthquake tsunami news???? What an awful awful thing to happen.

and I can't help but wonder how many formula fed babies are going to be going without proper nutrition while waiting for help to come which could potentially take days and days for some in the harder hit places....... :(

Yes. :( My NZ family lived many years in Japan and have lots of close friends there. No doubt another shock to them after their hometown was destroyed in the NW earthquake. I've been waiting to try and see some of the tsunami pics as I couldn't see them on my phone. Like a car crash perhaps but I'm quite fascinated as I've never seen a tsunami. Terribly sad though. It sounds like they have caused a lot of damage. And tsunami alerts right round the Pacific too. Must've been some earthquake!

Just watched the second video on this link https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12716870 the Sendai one. I now never need to see a tsunami again...

Yes. :( My NZ family lived many years in Japan and have lots of close friends there. No doubt another shock to them after their hometown was destroyed in the NW earthquake. I've been waiting to try and see some of the tsunami pics as I couldn't see them on my phone. Like a car crash perhaps but I'm quite fascinated as I've never seen a tsunami. Terribly sad though. It sounds like they have caused a lot of damage. And tsunami alerts right round the Pacific too. Must've been some earthquake!

A 8.9 definitly is quite the earthquake! The news footage of the tsunami is unreal... houses and cars floating away... People stranded on an airport because the building is completely surrounded by water. Hawaii was apparently hit by a 7ft tsunami but they don't really know the damage yet because it is still dark out... Now the waves are suppose to be hitting the west coast of the US but atleast there they have been given plenty of warning

its awful whats happening in the world :(

On a brighter note, I got my pool! :D, just gotta figure out how to connect the hose to the taps now!

Yey for getting your pool Caro :happydance: I was so excited to see mine up last week! :D

Midwife called round today, she had forgotten to add some post natal notes and gloves to the homebirth kit she brought a couple of weeks ago. So I asked her have a quick feel of babys position whilst she was here. At my last check on Sat she was completely free but ive felt her drop so much this week im struggling to walk!

So she checked for me and shes fully engaged!! :D I dont know how soon they engage before labour but as its my third (my other 2 didnt really engage until labour started) it probably doesnt necessarily mean anything is imminent.. but still, things are moving along nicely and hopefully I'll get to meet my little girl soon! :wohoo:

ooh thats v exciting! fx'ed for an imminent arrival for you! :D xx I've resisted trying to pump it up, DH can do that when he's home as the pump is well stiff! don't wanna send myself into labour just yet! x

ooh yeah best to wait til OH comes home! lol! MMum put mine up at our last AN and with her very fancy pump it was up in a couple of mins.. I was very impressed! haha ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->