Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Good luck Abz & Brandi, keep faith in your body cos you're getting there!!

If I was a bit further along I think I'd be joining in with the "something's happening..." - had a rock hard bump all weekend, plus very wriggly baby, not able to even guess which way up he is or which bit I'm feeling with being so tight and feeling like I'm about to burst. Having had only the very odd BH so far then I've no idea if that's what these are or something else? Is this about the time when you can start feeling much tighter womb-wise?! Hope the raspberry leaf is doing the trick but it's exhausting, feeling winded and like I could explode at any second!

caro - I'm happy to hear your back in with the m/w's.
Gertrude - I hope things settle down with you b/p. I'll be sending you some low diastolic vibes!
Brandi - definitly keep us posted!
Abz - sucky that those ctx fizzled out. Has baby been op by any chance? Hopefully baby will come soon!

I can't believe it's been 5 days since I had my little guy. He's a lovely baby. Last time I had really bad PPD but I'm doing okay this time around and have only a few :( melt downs. I've been reflecting on the birth and feel the need to debrief. I hope you don't mind that I do it here. I've been feeling kinda upset about how I handled the labour. Quite frankly I didn't handle it well at all compared to my prev births. Before I stayed on top of my ctx but this time I just couldn't, thank god for the water it really saved me but even so with each ctx all I wanted to do was escape my body. I think it was cause things went so fast. I spent the first half of the labour in denial and disbelief which turned directly into transition which hit me hard. I now feel like I should have spent that first part getting into labour land as opposed to all the don't get your hopes up self talk I was doing. And my OH was preoccupied with filling the pool till pretty much the point of pushing. My m/w offered very little in terms of right there one on one intense support which is what I really needed as she was busy setting up and doing the initial charting. Then my sister couldn't attend as planned and I never got the delivery videotaped or photograped as intended :( which is my fault cause I yelled at OH when he tried to leave to get the camera. And other little things like not knowing what song was playing is getting to me now, though I know it was soon after 'today' by smashing pumpkins cause I distinctly remember the song playing during the ctx I got water in my ear and thought to myself 'today is the greatest day my a**'

So silly things I know but I had to get them off my chest.

:hugs: Kandy. You know you had SO much going on prior to labour I wouldn't be at all surprised if that affected you during the labour. Sorry you have niggles. It's good to get then out and off your chest. Have we seen pics of your little guy yet?

:hugs: Kandy - remember your hormones are still all over the place at the moment lovely xx

Kandy, I can relate to those feelings. I felt like I didn't handle my labour very well at all either and felt supremely guilty for a long time just for asking for an epidural (even though I didn't get one). Take care of yourself and surround yourself in the love of others during this time. In my eyes, birth can be traumatising even if it wasn't traumatic, if you see what I mean. Big hugs to you.

Evening ladies :)

I have my homebirth risk assessment meeting tomorrow - is there anything I should bear in mind?

What are they risk assessing Gertrude? That you have a home in which to birth? :lol: I always get confused by this as both pregnancies the MWs have popped round with the kit, had a chat to see how I'm getting on, explained anything they need to explain and gone without so much as looking at the room in which I intend to birth let alone assessing anything.

well tbh that's what I'm not sure of :D I have a feeling they're still looking for reasons I can't have one grrrrrrr

my OH is away as well so I don't have anyone who can remember things they say

I had a 'risk assessment' visit. She had some papers and was ticking things off as she went round. Looked at my lounge asked where the plugs where and how close they'd be to the pool, told me I couldnt have the gas fire on near the pool / gas&air :dohh: and then checked my kitchen and bathroom to make sure all was safe when filling the pool etc she wanted to see the pool up to make sure they could walk around it ok! lol But as that wasnt possible she had to leave that part. All was very unnecessary really as Lydia decided to come without the MW's being there :haha:

Thanks for your kind words everyone. I'm just feeling a tad guilty for not being super :D about everything especially when I do have so much to be grateful for. Jayah is lovely, sweet, cuddly, happy and just perfect. I actually went into labour on my own despite having alot of doubts of my body's capability after 2 inductions. There were no complications and my children have really taken to their new baby brother. My original preference was to have them all closer together but this larger gap has just been perfect for our family.

And I'll upload some pics once I get a new computer as I can't on the dsi. Payday is friday so I hope to get one soon after that.

They do a 36 week home visit here generally regardless of whether you want a homebirth or not as a means of personalizing the care given. It usually consists of sipping tea and chatting about your birth wishes and previous experiences etc etc. They do go through what is needed for a homebirth and they often take a home tour but it's more for the midwives to figure out how they can best adapt to your environment as opposed to determining whether it is 'suitable.' I have attended several home births with amish and mennonite women who had no electricity, phone, indoor plumbing etc and even that was never an issue.

Kandy, I can't wait to see pictures of wonderful Jayah. I think you had a fantastic birth.. I know that it can be hard to switch off the intelligent parts of your brain, and just go with it - but certainly don't for one sec allow yourself to dwell on any of that! Or you will be letting the higher parts of you take something away from your birth experience again! ;-) You did brilliantly.

Assessments/home birth visits - remember they are not only there to makes checks etc, they are also a really useful meeting in your own environment where you can be on control of the situation.. after all you are inviting them into your space. It is a great opportunity to ask all sorts of questions, and you can prepare these before hand.

I would be wanting to go through;
Your birth plan and any preferences.
What equipment they bring
Where you would like them to "set-up"
What freedoms you feel comfortable them having in your home. i.e is there anywhere you don't want them to go, or that you don't want them to do.
What are the indicators for transfer they would be inclined to recommend and more importantly what factors would you consider appropriate for transfer.
It is also important that they go through any specific risk - you don't have to be down about this, they do have a duty to inform you, but make sure it is a balanced view point they give you, and dependant on your circumstances.

This is noway an exhaustive list, I'm sure that you will think of lots of questions that you want to ask, but I would say make sure you write them all down, and make sure you get answers. If your birth partner can't be with you - is there anyone else that might be able to support you for the visit? It can really help to have another person there to remind you and them of your preferences. If not, a list will really help you stay focused, and get the most out of the time you have with them.

They are there to assist you in achieving a positive birth for you! So I hope you get the most out of it.
XxX

My home assessment was the MW coming over, dropping off the box of stuff ( sutures/biohazard bags/absorbent pads) and going through a list of questions which included things like parking, access to the door in case of emergency, to things like food (for me and her), whether I wanted vitamin k for baby, etc. She said that the pool needed to be in a position where they could walk around but that was really it. We also went over the birth plan in detail.

Well a little update from me.....

EDD yesterday *weeble happy dance* and finally began to lose plug, no "blood" in it yet but hey I am willing to take that, with Rosa when I finally started to lose it she arrived within 48 hours, so fingers crossed.

After having a complete wobble on where to give birth my very lovely OH made my desicion for me yesterday morning. I know that sounds bad but his desicion....homebirth and sod what the midwives may or may not think. He even went out yesterday evening after dinner and bought the bits and bobs we needed for sorting out.

Okay I have no pool, though he did offer to buy it, but I doubt delivery time would allow it :shrug: Think I may have a little bit more of a gush about him :cloud9::cloud9:

Still have a few things left to do in my last minute preperation but wooohooo almost there

i was thinking of buying a pool at 30 odd weeks but then im just worried ile go over and end up in hospital :( i need to have abit more faith, i no my oh would be saying shut up it will be fine.

i will be trying everything i can think of to get baby out starting at 39 weeks lol

moomin, I waited to buy a pool until I was nearly 37wks, ended up buying a 2nd hand one and got a new liner, worked out a lot cheaper that way!

Theres lots on ebay and some local pick up! :D

Mines now just sitting there half inflated waiting for me to go into labour...hmmm. Come on baby!!

ive already made plans to rent mine out once babies here...might work out might not lol

seems like ive got ages to go and then i think no i really dont but ive got everything sorted out that needs to be for now

I olny ordered my pool on Sunday - should be here today or tomorrow. I am sitting here with crossed legs just in case.

I have awful nocturnal nausea at the moment. If/when my son wakes up during the night, it is taking me ages and ages to get back to sleep. I'm like a zombie. I've not actually puked yet, but it's honestly just as bad as my morning sickness was in first tri! :sick:

feeling sick is so much worse i think because if ur sick u feel better!

im not getting much sleep at night which is really gettin to me, i feel and look like a zombie too and i no ive got worse to come

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->