Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Good luck with the car. Is that the entire light you're changing or just bulbs?!

Gfp (green fluorescent protein from jellyfish). That's what we want. There have been entire glow in the dark cows so I reckon nips and lips should be a doddle. I vote China but lax rules but then it would probably be conducted in a barbaric manner on chimps first :wacko:

Gosh - quiet in here tonight :winkwink:
I keep expecting some big announcement or other :haha:

Bourne - how did the car lights fixing go? I'm very impressed :thumbup:

Chuck - have you tried a (not so hot) hot water bottle or wheat bag on your ribs? That was the only thing that helped me last time.

Despite me spending muchos time upside down today in one form or another (dog pose, or forward leaning off the sofa :haha: ) LO is still breech/transverse - trying not to get obsessive about it but I have an overactive imagination :blush:

Smoky you really don't need to worry at 33 weeks. Indigo land Byrkn were both transverse til 34 weeks. Don't know if you were around much when Kandy had hers but she had an unstable lie and baby was all over right to labour but still cane out ok in the end.

Rachie, I want one of those old-lady shopping trollies too! Lol Some can be very trendy!

All the luck in getting the care fixed helped ladies, because it only took me 3 hours!! Thank you. It was the whole units both sides - had to take the bumper off and the wheel arch covers just to get to some poxy little bolts! Well all fixed and our car (which is lovingly call Hubert) is back to the garage for re-testing with a brand new set of eyes! Fingers crossed it passes this time. I’m so proud of myself and Bronwyn for being so good! (she was encouraged/bribed by chocolate)

I second what PB says - don’t worry about where baby is at the stage, only a tiny % don’t manage to sort themselves out.. Some not until labour forces them in the right way.. But most get there in the end.

I had some bad news from my solicitor while up to my elbows in car grease. Turns out we are too “rich” by about £90 a month to justify the Legal Services Commission paying for our barrister and QC. So at the moment I have 4 options as I see it about my home birth. (without any action pending, I'm free to talk about this again)

1 - Wait and see when I’m in labour if anyone can come - I not to keen on this idea.
2 - Bring the case myself (court fees are about £200) - I’m seriously considering it, but with a 17 month old, I don’t know how I will have the time/energy to fill in the massive amount of paper work, let alone represent myself in the High Court and the additional stress that will involve. Plus although I’m legally competent, this isn’t my area of law.. It’s the practical side of this I have no experience in. If I slip up and fill the papers incorrectly, it is game over, which is why I needed someone who this would have been there bread and butter. My solicitor think I can do it - but then I don’t think he is considering the rest of my family commitments.
3 - a miracle happens, and I can appeal the LSC funding decision. OH had a “good month” last month, - I.e paid £100 more than he usually is.. So we could try again, and it goes through.
4 - Find the £10-15k to pay for solicitors, junior and Queen’s Council fees. Not sure that is likely, My parents are doing a get job in trying to spend all of their money.. And if I had that kind of money available to me, then I would pay for an independent MW - which is what most women have done, and the reason why the case has never been bought prob!

It has had me in tears - There is so much merit in the case, and the barristers agree it had wider significance than just to me. But like anyone doing a job, they need to get paid. I have asked if they would do it pro bono, but I feel that is unlikely!

I have a meeting tonight with the male mw at our house.. He is away from the 9th to the 19th of July (slap-bang in the middle of my EDD), but if I go before or after he might be able to help… So it has to be worth talking to him.

What would you do?

XxX

Oh Bourne. :( I would appeal the legal aid first. Might it not be worth dropping some hours (flexible working) to bring your income down a fraction? I suppose it depends on how much you wish to pursue it and what you need to live on. I suggest it as this is one of our options to bring our income down to get tax credits next year. Utter madness!

I think next option would be to do it yourself though I can see why you don't want to.

Rock and hard place. :(

ergh did anyone else get to the point where they wished everyone would just disappear and leave them the fuck alone for a month and then come back when the baby has arrived?

I'm just frustrated and annoyed at everyone and everything.

My husband wants me in hospital my Mum is terrified of UR, MIl thinks I'm 'brave'.

why the hell cant anyone believe in me and what I want?

I just wish I could go be alone and just have this baby?

I'm going to be labouring and birthing alone in essence anyway as hubby is effing useless.

ARRGGGHHHHHHHHHH not in a good mood.

We are with you chuck, and we believe in you!! Actually for me I don't just "believe" in you - I know you are going to do just fine!
I share your frustrations.. I would let them know how they are making you feel at a vulnerable time in your pregnancy, and tell them to leave any unqualified negative comments to themselves (sorry but I include your OH in that!) I have said as much to everyone I know, and if they don't get it.. then they get the "oh f-off look" from me - and that seems to do the trick!

Thank you so much PB.. it is utter madness isn't it - I mean how poor to you have to be? I thought we at least had that part covered! I don't know even if the funding application is wrong, they take account the average of 3 months pay, so unless I wait an additional 3 months.. ? Which I don't have!
Something that I didn't really want to admit or let myself consider when thinking about bringing it myself, was that without legal assistance, if the case isn't decided in my favour, (although I'm advised the chances are at 70% of it going my way) I'm going to be bankrupted - possibly imprisoned for not being able to pay the NHS court costs which would be in tens of thousands!
My solicitor has been great - and I sent him a very emotional email last night (poor bugger having to read that!), he said he is here for my anytime to talk about it all.. but thinks that I should "unless your partner’s gross figures are wrong, you take a giant change of direction and relinquish your absolute principles and be financially pragmatic" .. in essence employ an Independent MW. (but how I could do that without £2.5k in the bank, I don't know)

Rock and a hard place!!!
XxX

Oh Bourne can't believe about the legal aid, all your hard work and time and effort...I really hope a solution presents itself that isn't a compromise too far!!

I finally finished my birth story - 5 weeks late but hey :)
https://www.babyandbump.com/birth-stories-announcements/610972-much-delayed-birth-story-nathan-dry-land-homebirth.html

Oh I see it's the risk of loss. Sorry Bourne I didn't really understand the implications of going it alone. Gosh. I wonder if you get sponsorship or something or what about a class action? But then finding more fighty women might be tricky and something to do in the future. Shit. I think IM fees depend on how long you employ them. Someone told me around £1500 if it's just during labour and with no antenatal care. It's not good enough. You shouldn't have to be pregnant to fight this, it's ridiculous. No wonder women ate never able to take action, they're not pregnant long enough! What about legal loopholes, some bizarre sex discrimination case against the system or something to enable it to be pursued over a longer time! :lol:

Well here's hoping the bad mood is a good sign.

Been having cramp on and off all morning and not just low down period style cramps for some of them, and my knickers just looked like a TB sufferers hanky so more mucus has shifted - hopefully due to these cramps or early contractions (or is that wishful thinking? LOL)

Kinda hoping things kick off tonight - mostly because hubby desperately wants to watch the Swansea play offs tonight LOL

LOL at 'tb sufferers hanky' fingers crossed for you chuck x

God loads came out of me chuck and there was just more and pinker-redder stuff as labour progressed. Wiping was like trying to wipe the ultrasound jelly of, you know, there's always more?

Ahh pleased you've some progress chuck, even if it is foofally, mucally related :) Still nowt going on here except braxtons, braxtons, long walks, stairs, braxtons, baby turning in all directions except inside out!

What a bugger of a situation Bourne - keep talking to your solicitor this week and explore your options fully - seems like this is a turning point in your fight. Agree it's disgraceful that there is not a way you can fight it whilst unpregnant. Keep going, keep strong.

Ahh pleased you've some progress chuck, even if it is foofally, mucally related :)

foofally mucally....bwahahahaha

well cramps still coming and going and getting more uncomfy, lost more plug and possible trickling waters have a pad on to see whats what.

Have back ache too.

Mum's excited, I've sent the hubby out to watch the Championship Play Offs...cant be dealing with him and Mother faffing around.

Trying not to make a big deal of anything at the mo as we could still be a while or things may stop.

YOu never know I could get my DS on his Due Date...how weird!

YOu never know I could get my DS on his Due Date...how weird!

Stranger things have happened! lol.It all sound good to me! Keep doing what your doing, it is working a treat!

Keeping with the mucus theme; you should have a smell of you pad, and to be frank if it smells like mild beach - that is your waters.
My MW (to my utter shock at the time), asked to see my pad I had thrown in the bin when I was loosing my plug, and I had also thought I had some trickling which could have been waters... I fished it out the bathroom bin, and she looked and then had a really good sniff!!!! She then quicly expained why! But when my waters really went with a click and a pop, I knew the smell she was looking for. It is distinctive.

xxxx

Ooo a due date babe!!!! Will be watching and waiting patiently!! Xx

I hope I'm not going to bring you all down now, but I'm so f-ing depressed about my home birth prospects, that I've even had fleeting thoughts about how life would be much easier if I wasn't pregnant - horrid I know!

I haven't given up just yet, I can still keep on at my Trust and I have the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to complain further to,... But Id don't mind being honest and saying that all I want is a home birth, and I can't imagine doing it another way, and I have been in tears about it all blinking day! OH is saying f-them go it alone.

On the positive side, my male MW came to see us this evening (and although he is away before and after my estimated date) he wants to be involved and do my antenatal care at home with us and drop off his personal birthing kit, just incase he is back in the country when I'm in labour. HE WAS SO SO NICE!.. and perhaps because of his standing, really knew his stuff. What he said tallied with my own understanding and thoughts - such as my main reason for wanted a home birth wasn't just to do with a hippy-notation of lifestyle choice, (and there is nothing wrong with that) but it made a logical sense to me on the grounds of safety and outcomes.
To me it is not simply a location. I don't want to be confronted with going to the hospital where I have a 39% chance of a c-section just by walking through the doors¬! He agrees that hospital MWs skills are decreasing, and that they are less able to recognise normal progression of labour and it should always be viewed as physiological in the first place and not simply as potential signs of pathology.

Well he is away at the critical period for my birth, so I have to imagine, that he won't be able to attend. I really feel as though the only person I can rely on is me and my OH and nothing has really changed since finding out about the staffing problems back in February - gosh 3 months I have been at this!!

Right, downer over! No peeps of negativity until I have something good to say about the whole thing.
XxX

What he said tallied with my own understanding and thoughts - such as my main reason for wanted a home birth wasn't just to do with a hippy-notation of lifestyle choice, (and there is nothing wrong with that) but it made a logical sense to me on the grounds of safety and outcomes.
To me it is not simply a location. I don't want to be confronted with going to the hospital where I have a 39% chance of a c-section just by walking through the doors! He agrees that hospital MWs skills are decreasing, and that they are less able to recognise normal progression of labour and it should always be viewed as physiological in the first place and not simply as potential signs of pathology.

This is exactly what makes sense to any logical woman and any logical midwife. Keep thinking about this and doing what you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->