Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Ooh Cranberry, it's almost a year since I was in your position! This is a lovely thread, hope all goes well for you!

Congrats again Chuck, that birthing high is fantastc! Shame I won't be doing it again :blush:

Rachael, yes that's how I feel too. I don't want her to think I'm judging or anything because I'm not but I think I'd be letting her down if I didn't make sure that she's aware there may be other options. If she decides that a planned cs is the right choice for her that's fine as long as it's her choice and not because she's told she has to. Hope that makes sense lol, Fi's growth-spurting and sleep-regressing and goodness knows what else atm so I'm a bit tired!

My husbands not that supportive about home birthing. He's read the anti argument saying the research re it being safer at home was doctored and just thinks the whole thing is nonsense now. He said it's a medical thing so should be in a hospital. I said it's not medical, it's like a sneeze or a poo or some other bodily function. Not sure I'll be able to persuade him tho, esp as were going to have all the drs trying to scare me into birthing tied to a hospital bed with drips coming out of me like tendrils :(

He did agree that I could have a doula tho. Will keep at him about the hb thing and see how we go

X

Well had my booking app with the midwife and she was really pleased with the fact that I wanted to birth at home. The hospital I use are just bringing together a home birthing unit with specific midwifes for people who want homebirths. So all in all I am hopeful about this now :)

I just noticed that on my yellow notes theres a box on the front says place of birth discussed at booking. Mw has ticked consultant unit. Wtf. She didn't even ask let alone discuss. Is this normal?

Ergh things started stinging tOday. Ouch!

Am sitting on an inch pad on the sofa airing my bits frying to ignore how painfully the baban is suckling. Little piggy.

We finally named him ...

Stanley Michael Jack

Cranberry - no that's not normal. Well it might be but it shouldn't be! Both pregnancies I've been asked where I want to birth at booking in and my notes have been updated accordingly. Make sure you set your mw straight at the next appointment.

Chuck - ah it's as fresh in my mind as if it was only 2 and a half weeks ago. Wait a minute... At least you're sitting so you're doing better than me! Funny how it seems to hurt more a couple of days after. I was sitting on the second and third days but then not after that, I guess because some of the cushioning swelling goes down. And the same with the boobs. It'll get better though. Fab name!

Thanks. Do I need to do anything right now? Have no idea if I'll miss out on stuff because they assume I'm having a hospital birth. Or can I just let them know closer to the time that I expect a mw to attend?

There's nothing special in the antenatal care other than possibly getting a kit delivered at 37 weeks. I'd want to put the record straight but a woman can decide at any time to have a homebirth.

Cranberry...my hubby wasnt supportive about HB foe me. But I was hoping to VBAC so he was worried about extra risk.

He's very much of the opinion that hospital must be safest as thats where the professionals and equipment are etc.

It helped that my MW's we're very supportive of my choices and were able to provide him with info from their point of view. Not just me being stubborn. We went along to an NCT homebirth info evening too which I enjoyed - he felt it was a bit one sided but I think it did help a little.

I didnt quite get my HBAC but nearly! I made some compromises for him like no pool and if it is suggested we transfer then we transfer - no being pigheaded and saying no.

Don't worry about it too much cranberry, it is normal but like others have said it's something they shouldn't do! They ticked hospital for me, never asked otherwise. I first told my midwife I wanted to be at home at 25 weeks, and I was booked in properly for home at 34 weeks. In some areas with proper home birth teams, I think the only difference would be that you have more antenatal visits at home. I've had a couple at home but still had to go to the GP for others. Mine has spent more time with me in the last few appointments than I think she otherwise would have (if I'd been going to hospital), to discuss birth plan and things more thoroughly. Just ask your midwife to fill in relevant forms at your next appointment, otherwise no real rush.

Where's that labour baton gone chuck, and can I have it now please?! Noticed some quite violent movements from baby over the weekend so think he's finally got in there and hopefully got a nice big round head pressing on my cervix! Picked up the courage to have a sniff of clary sage yesterday too and it did seem to make the braxtons even more noticeable... I am quite coming to terms with the fact though that I am clearly providing a nice warm and safe home for this little one at the minute and he probably has no intention of going anywhere soon!

However... full moon tomorrow woooooo :)

hi all i'm hoping for a homebirth this time round this is my second my daughter was a super easy labour (2 1/2 hours from start to finish with just gas & air) mws have said i'm a perfect candiate for a homebirth & my oh has said yes too so just hoping all goes smoothly so i can have it (due christmas eve)

Hey cranberry,

Noticed you're based in Bristol..I live in Kingswood (East Bristol)!

Which hospital are your midwifes based in? Can't believe she ticked the hospital birth box without even asking, it'll be interesting to see if she offers any explaination for doing it!!

I was booked in by my community MW at GP then I see the Diabetic OB unit at St Mikes. I HATE that place. Have awful memories of being treated like a pariah while I was ttc. Sitting there waiting for ultrasound to look at my horribly inflamed cysty ovaries with happily pregnant couples, they wouldnt let DH in while I had the scan because it was internal, but oh all the normal pregnant ppl can have theirs in for support.

So I dont rly know which MW to go to for support tbh, the GP one is rubbish and the hospital one is miles away. So I end up going to neither, took senakot last week and just found out you shouldnt as they cause uterine contractions, Dr Google wrong again.

First Doula isnt free, stupid DH knocking me up so Im due at Xmas >< hehe, emailed another who lives nearer me so will see.

x

It's taken me ages to catch up but I just wanted to say HUGE CONGRATS to you Chuck!!!!!! I'm just so happy for you. :hugs:

Thank you Jenni. Hope you and the family are getting along well?

In all honesty I know that there is no way I could have done what I did a few days ago without having had the ears and eyes of you guys over the past few months.

Thinking of all the words of wisdom imparted by you all, the thoughts feeling and experiences of you all made me strong enough to get the most out of the experience I had. Even when I got to hospital and whimpered for pethadine and help and was told 'well we'll wait for the Dr' and I knew it was a ploy to keep it from me I knew what they were doing and was glad because it was better for me me in the end.

There was only a couple moments when I had defeatist thoughts running through my head and I wished they would just get me a bloody ventouse...but I had been transferred and pushing for over an hour and felt like I wasn't getting anywhere - little did I know I was and that nice slow progress made for a very well foof afterwards.

So THANK YOU to all you wonderful women who have planned, had, tried and transferred here in hB and hopefuls.

You helped make this birth for me as great as it was.

...and for anyone who hasnt seen in 3rd tri or on FB here is Stanley

Brand new, only a minute or two earthside
https://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225834_2043254918680_1163551094_2459372_7553531_n.jpg

A few hours old on ward (excuse the tasteful socks LOL)
https://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227894_10150181242167551_689167550_7196127_503777_n.jpg

Yesterday at home
https://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223236_10150184419757551_689167550_7212811_1198405_n.jpg

I had to LOL a little I have a pic of Dewi almost exactly the same as the middle one of Stanley - and they're wearing the same sleepsuit.

Theyre the same weight only difference is the hair colour!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->