Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

That's really great news Sam :)

Hope the doula meeting goes well Cranberry :)

Merv's Mum - the world has gone crazy - I'm already thinking up a good slogan for a protest banner :haha:

Got a fright today. went for my 31 week check and mw said coreys transverse and that im messuring 4 weeks behind so if this is the case i wouldnt get a homebirth.....went for a growth scan and hes head down and on target!

so scare is over lol my mum thought it might be my mw trying to put me off but i dont think so. she seems positive about homebirths. well i am getting my hb box at 34 weeks as shes away and it seems like she will be the one who delievers corey.

altho not sure id trust her to, she doesnt seem to be good at her job :S

:wacko: moomin! I bet a transverse baby reads smaller on fundus be ajar the mass is sideways not across where the measurement is taken. Not that that means anything if baby is head down! Could have turned in between anyway. Remember how much Kandy's shifted about). Anyway I hope it wasn't your mw trying to put you off!

Hugs to Sam. I hope everything works out ok.

Thanks for the update Bourne, you're amazing!

And I hope everyone else is doing ok. Not doing a good job of keeping up at the moment. I'll be the first to be protesting if homebirths become threatened. I think it's important to remember that the Tories hate women (which is why we're paying I think it's 7 times as much as men for the cuts); they make no sense except in maximising personal gains and those of their cronies; they're trying to destroy everything Labour did which therefore includes the promotion of homebirth; and they are generally a bunch of *******s. So don't be surprised if an irrational policy on homebirth does come out... :grr:

On a separate note I've been thinking today about the two conflicting arguments that women should be responsible for finding out as much as they can about birth vs the medics have a responsibility to give us unbiased and personalised info to help us with decision making. What's the answer?

I have come to the conclusion that as we do on here women should be talking and passing on the message of natural birth, proactively. Something that every woman should be doing in an ideal world. This would then be the norm (we can dream) freeing up the responsibility for medics to be devoted to imparting information about intervention and serious medical conditions/abnormality, which naturally they would do in an unbiased way explaining both pros and cons and liklihoods based on reliable evidence. Of course they would have to start researching like real scientists... Just a few thoughts on a future that will never be!

Doula was ace! Reassured me that Ill be able to get what I want with her advocacy. Im still only 12w so a lot of it was wait and see what happens. Gonna see the consultant at some point and get them to put in writing that I dont need inducing (if they agree that is) so that if I want a hospital birth then the Drs wont just take the standard induction line.

I might need a medical birth but Ill still have her there pretty much doing the same things as she would at a home birth. She does shiatsu and we talked about having that antenatally to bring things on and during the birth.

Ill have to taxi her over for a home birth as she doesnt drive and I live about 10 miles outside Bristol but thats no problem. And hmm it was just all good and I feel v comfortable with her.

Plans are to keep in contact, shes gonna send me some books and stuff and then really its Birth Plan meeting in Oct/Nov time.

Yey :)

Oh it would be lovely if medical professionals gave us all the options and let us weigh up the pros and cons. Reading can only get so far but experience counts for a lot. They just dont tell us of all the alternative options once theyve decided whats best.

I suppose it is hard tho as the majority of women would just agree to whatever the white coated person said and wouldnt be willing/able to make a judgement on what option is best for them. Like if my boiler broke down (touch massive bit of wood) I would trust a plumber as rly I have no idea what the bits are even called let alone whats best, but others would have a tinker about first and see if they could have a go themselves first, others would get a mate round to supervise the plumber so that they didnt get ripped off.

ive got a very neat small bump so didnt no where corey was folding himself to fit sideways lol

oh well, atleast i no he can then wiggle his way around head down instead of going breech which is good.

ive got a homebirth support group im going to tomo night at my doulas house, not sure what to expect but i cant wait.
ive started to pack my birthing bag and picked out 2 babygrows that corey will go in first which made me cry ahahaha i wasnt this soppy with zane.

EDIT: cranberry you just reminded me, my boilers been fixed so i will have hot water for my pool now thank god hahaha

oh thank god! No ice cold water then! Those are the things which are in the back of my mind, boiler packing in and having a cold. No way could I do a natural birth with a cold (ive one atm and it SUCKS) I can hardly get upstairs without needing a 10 min rest this week.

ud be suprised what u can get thru while ill when u have to.

my mum asked today how the pool would keep its heat, i then informed her that would be her job emptying water and adding more hot hahaha

yeah, youre probably right. Im quite pathetic when ill so if I pulled myself together I could probably do it and ignore it. Ive been thinking about keeping the pool warm too, wondered if there was some sort of internal heating thing like a jacuzzi :p Buckets it is then!

Altho they do have spas in asda for £350, a lot more than a birthing pool, but someone should buy some and hire em out!

We can pass the on the word about normal/natural childbirth to our hearts content but what we wont change is that obstetrics has the highest litigation bill in medicine.

Compensation payouts within obstetrics are the largest within the health care sector, because of the nature of most claims. Evidence shows that many people sue hospitals because they received inadequate communication / explanation from caregivers, their care was impersonal and / or procedures were carried out without properly informed consent. Often, patients want a full explanation and an apology for what happened, not necessarily financial compensation. Unfortunately the medical profession often “closes ranks” after a tragedy believing that an apology is an admission of responsibility. This actually makes patients more inclined to sue, as the only available option to seek redress.

Exactly to both cranberry and mm. I don't believe it's fair to pit the onus on the mum to have to know all about obstetrics. We don't all spend a decade studying it and consultants are paid quite plenty to be obliged to carry out the responsibility. But they should be working in an impartial way instead of a routine impersonal way filled with as many prejudices as years in service. It's not good enough. We don't pay them a fortune for them to roll out the party line which as like has not as no basis in evidence. And surely in treating women with respect and performing best practice such as getting true informed consent the issue of litigation would be far reduced. The whole thing is ridiculous.

yeah, youre probably right. Im quite pathetic when ill so if I pulled myself together I could probably do it and ignore it. Ive been thinking about keeping the pool warm too, wondered if there was some sort of internal heating thing like a jacuzzi :p Buckets it is then!

Altho they do have spas in asda for £350, a lot more than a birthing pool, but someone should buy some and hire em out!

my mum wants that! not sure if shed want me to give birth in it tho hahaha

i do no some pools have heaters in but not sure if mine does, so ive got my mum on hot water duty

There is lots of good news about!
Great about your consultant appointment Sam

I also have reason to be cheerful - baby is deff heads down..!!! He found a head! ...oh the difference a through examination and experianced and gentle hands can make.

I had a warm a fuzzy feeling for my MW when he was listening for a good 5 min to babies heart and said " just getting to know you baby" (talking to my tummy) We listened through accelerations, different positions, and during palpation. Damm double damm, why is he going to Malta!?! He is making me feel so comfortable and confident.!
XxX

Does anyone have the AIMS leaflet thingy called 'Am I Allowed'? Or one that could me emailed to me. I dont know if its allowed to share it or if I have to buy it, happy to buy it off the website if not.

I do have it, but can't email it as it is book, rather than a leaflet about 100 pages long (so not massive) I couldn't scan it, as it has copy rights.
I also can't really post you the copy I have, as it isn't mine to pass on.
Sorry i'm not helping much! ;-) I can tell you it is good, although it was published in 2003, so some of it I found to be out of date slightly.
XxX

oooh, i thought it was a pdf like the induction one. Will buy it then, thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->