Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

If I had none more about homebirths my first time around I would of gone for one even though I was "not old enough" im more relaxed at home and really dislike hospitals..

Ive found out today though that after 5days post birth the HV/MW will not come to my home to check on me and baby and that I will be booked into clinics to see them, unless I end up with a C-sec, seems abit odd since your suposed to be recovering and getting used to having a newborn without having to worry about going to clinic every few days

I think that is one of the major reasons people don't consider home births and another reason why people are so shocked by people who choose them.

Births used to be in the home and with the introduction of new pain relief methods and technology everyone seems to think home isn't safe: but it used to be the norm. I think if there was more info on home birthing (and I could clone my midwife because she's terrific!) and statistics proving it to be a safe choice for most women with great outcomes then it would be used by so many more woman.. who wants to go to hospital when they aren't sick? :shrug:

I love that there are so many people on here willing to try, it makes me feel more confident in my decision because the one person I know who's pregnant scoffed at me because I can't get an epidural at home and "who wants to be in pain if they can help it?" :flower:

It's all about conditioning.

I grew up in a place were homebirths were completely the norm. My pastors wife was a mw and she delivered most of the babies in my church in the comfort of their own home so it always seemed natural and normal to me. I always expected she'd deliver my babies too, so it's been hard for me to deal with the fact that not only will I not be getting her as my mw since we moved, but that I won't get my homebirth either. Hopefully for the next one though.

I'm getting so excited! 36w feels like a big milestone for some reason.

I have mw coming out this weekend to go through the finer details and arrange delivery of my box :D she already knows I want delayed cord clamping and a natural 3rd stage and is pleased with my decision :) she has said if my bp is up during labour, then its a reason to transfer but I'm going to do it alone for Aslong as poss and have them there just for the pushing part so hopefully there won't be time to take bp let alone transfer.

Blah, I've only this week started researched the benefits of delayed cord cutting. I hadn't heard of it before even though I've had 2 other children and don't know anyone else who has done it. Are you planning on delaying cord cutting until after it stops pulsating or the lotus method ( I think I got that right)?

I had Imogen in hospital, had forceps delivery so I was stitched and very sore and imm had a massive haematoma on her head from it which was making her stay jaundice for longer. Mw's came put twice then I was sent to a postnatal clinc they run to have her checked, went there twice before we were discharged although the hv still came to me for their first visit. X

Blah, I've only this week started researched the benefits of delayed cord cutting. I hadn't heard of it before even though I've had 2 other children and don't know anyone else who has done it. Are you planning on delaying cord cutting until after it stops pulsating or the lotus method ( I think I got that right)?

just until it stops pulsating. I think the whole lotus thing is spiritual more than anything. I can't find any real benefits to it and its defo not for me.

our post natal care here is really good. We get a MW every day for the first 5 or so, then every 2nd day until day 10 then it switches to HVs and they come a couple of times in the first week then start spacing their visits.

Personally i find the frequent visits a bit annoying when you just want to go to bed and sleep :rofl:

Thanks blah, if the lotus thing is a spiritual thing then we will probably just wait until the cord stops pulsating as well.

Does anyone know in England when the mw will need a definite answer to whether or not you want a home birth? OH isn't completely sold on a home birth yet and my next mw appointment is at 28 weeks, will she need to know by then?

You don't need to decide until 36/37 weeks because it doesn't affect the care you'll receive. The NHS midwives tend to do a home visit at that time to do a risk assessment and establish any access issues so they're prepared. They'll usually drop a birth pack at your house at this time too - just a box with gloves, incontinence pads, bin bags, a bucket etc so that whoever is on call the day you go into labour only has to rock up at your house without having to carry loads of crap in her car. The on call midwives exchange the emergency resuscitation and emergency drugs each time they hand over to one another each day - they bring that with them.

There's a really good homebirth for fathers book but as I'm on mobile web, I can't look easily for the name/author you (sorry). A good website is www.homebirth.org.UK - there's a section for fathers there :) Good luck!

If he's unsure then id plan for home as its easy enough to change your mind and go to hospital. It's more planning to have homebirth.

I have mw coming out this weekend to go through the finer details and arrange delivery of my box :D she already knows I want delayed cord clamping and a natural 3rd stage and is pleased with my decision :) she has said if my bp is up during labour, then its a reason to transfer but I'm going to do it alone for Aslong as poss and have them there just for the pushing part so hopefully there won't be time to take bp let alone transfer.

That's exactly what I did. Called as late as I felt I should and declined BP testing in my birth plan. The midwives asked about my previous birth afterwards and I told them about the hypertension etc. They asked if that was why I declined monitoring and I said yes. They then said that had my BP been high prenatally again, that I probably wouldn't have been supported to go to 40+10 and have a home birth and that I had proved my decision was totally the right one :happydance: They were fab, couldn't have asked for better midwives.

I have a question. The Head of midwifery said they attend hb between 37 and 42w. So if I go over 42 they refuse to attend?!

Also, just checked bp because of you guys talking about it hehe. Is there nothing I won't worry about!!

I was told upto 41+5 however after all the "babble" she also said however she cannot make me do anything I dont want to do.

I'll ask when I next see mw. Maybe they just encourage hospital birth after 42w here. :shrug:

My last antenatal appointment with DD was at 41+6 (tues). My plan at the time was along the lines of deliver at home until 42+2 (Fri), deliver in hospital over the weekend and if nothing happened then induction on the Monday at 42+5. My midwife was fine with the plan, but refered me into the hospital for a scan and consultant appointment on 42+0. That way the consultant was the one who would "allow" my plan, or give me the talk if I was going against medical advice. ..

....I went into labour at 42+0. Called midwife, said was in labour and not goimg for scan. She spoke with her supervisor and was suggested since only in early labour to get scanned, which I did. Consultant allowed me home to labour......and I was back in a few hours later and had a c-section..... but if it had all gone ok I'd have delivered her at home after the 42 week cut off.

They still have a duty of care to attend you at home, even if you are not between 37 and 42 weeks.

My MW has said that they will still attend me at 42+ weeks.

:happydance::happydance::happydance: congrats on 36 weeks!

So i text my best friend to tell her about hb, she said it's up to me, the only thing she has against them is if something goes wrong and the time it takes to get to hospital!! Explained that less hoes wrong at hb and in an ambulancevim 5 mins away from 2 hospitals. She hasnt text back butbi feel better that she knows and I'm not hiding it from her. I'd feel crap telling her I've had the baby and oh by the way it was a planned hb which you knew nothing about!!

Won't be long now blah!! Xx

I've had the same from someone who was suggesting that I went to a mwlu twice as far away from the hospital! Tbh I don't think you can change ppls minds so just let it wash over ya. You know you're doing the right thing for you, they don't know all the facts and probably have a mental image of an unplanned home birth off the telly and thinks yours will be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->