Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Congrats, those are awesome pictures (love seeing home birth pictures :flower:)

I have a question for you guys: How many of you are first time birther's that are going for home/free standing birth centres? Lots of people I've talked to chose home after a traumatic/not to plan hospital birth and I think that's awesome :) But curious about first timers and why you chose to be at home.

I chose a free standing birth centre at first, because where I live now is with a bunch of friends and I didn't feel comfortable setting up the birth pool in the lounge :haha: but as soon as I knew I'd be living in my own house with OH on my mothers property I decided to be at home.. I don't know why but the hospital just didn't seem like an option for me.. I've never had to stay at the hospital or had sick family members, and my mom worked there for years and I spent lots of time there so I'm pretty comfortable in the womans ward.. I just wanted to be at home :shrug:

How much space do the la bassines take up? Im gonna blow mine up next week but dunno if il need to move furniture :wacko:

I'm not a first time mum but I'm also not picking home birth because of a traumatic delivery. Amelies delivery was great and a really nice experience so why would I go to hospital :shrug: I had a straight forward labour and birth and hope this is the same so my best bet would be to stay at home :)

It was actually smaller than I imagined very deep though and very ridged I was sat on the edge of it and felt very sturdy. Blew up really quick too. I didnt have to move any furniture as we have a bit of space in middle of room. Can't wait to do a trial run and fill it up! I just wanted to check there were no holes or anything with it been second hand lol!

Feel quite scared now just because I don't know what transition and pushing stage is like feel like a first timer ha ha. X

ljo your daughter reminds me of my little girl. A couple of weeks ago I was looking at pools on the internet and she said ' Yeah Mummy get that' and she started looking for her swimming costume.

Ha ha bless her! Imogen will be straight in when the waters in there which is fine during the trial run but dreading the labour with it up!! Hopefully it'll be over night or while she's at nursery!! I said we'll have to keep it and blow it up on the decking in the summer for her ha ha! Most expensive paddling pool ever!! Ha ha. X

Blah the measurements are on the website for that pool, its smaller than birth pool in a box ones, we have measured our livingroom for one and our room is tiny and it will fit..

Midwife rang this morning to re-book my home assesment, my midwife is in meetings so got the Com MW coming out in about 30mins

good luck with the "booking in" hun ive got mine in a couple of weeks,

Im thinking with the birthpool that we can just shove the table in the corner behind the door and move the dining chairs into the kitchen when we need to blow up the pool, still got to buy one though lol

Im choosing a home birth with my first as hospital just seemed wrong. I really dont see the need for all that fuss as long as everything is looking normal and I dont want to be in a birthing factory which is what hospitals seem like to me. Im pretty used to hospitals with work so its not that im scared of them. Ive been present at the labours and births of three women (24 hr long induction/epi, failure to wait c section after 16 hrs, 90 min water birth) and all three just seemed wrong, even the water birth, I wondered why she was there - the MW didnt even touch her apart from to stitch afterwards.

I also know that I feel comfortable in water and always have so having to birth on land (they wont let me use the pools as im diabetic) was just beyond awful to me. Its not just the pain relief, its the comfort itll give me during a stressful time.

I chose a HB with my first because that is where I felt more comfortable... Simple as that really.

Girls - I'm so pleased! My mortgage has been agreed so it looks like by the very end of November I'll have a new baby and my first owned home!!! Yey! Xx

KiwiMom, I planned a home birth with my first as I didn't know what kind of labour I would have and thought I may as well try for the least intervention possible and labour in the place I felt safest, knowing that if anything went wrong or was out or the ordinary or I couldn't cope that I could transfer into hospital and have lost nothing. I ended up with baby having a high heart rate, transferring into hospital, having an epidural and a C-Section.... But I am certain that I would have had the exact same outcome if I had planned a hospital birth from the start. Possibly I would have had the C-Section even earlier in my labour. I think it highly unlikley I would have progressed quicker in hospital and been fully dilated when LO needed to come out. And her very high heart rate would have happened wherever I laboured.

This time I orginally choose a HBAC (Home birth after C-Section). Not becasue my hospital expereince was bad, but to give myself the best chance to labour effectively and to have a vaginal birth. I have since choosen to transfer my care to hospital (should add a different hospital than my local one and the one where DD was born). I decided this because I didn't feel adequatly supported by my health care providers and felt this would cause me stress right into labour. I decided this stress would be against my reasons to have a home birth in the first place- ie to give birth in the least stressfull environment available to me.

Thats great news hun!

Well my "booking in" appointment went alright, Told them we may be moving and they said to let them know as soon as we know due to making sure they know how to get to the house etc as they was late here due to finding the street lol

thanks for the replies. Lots of people think I'm insane for wanting to be at home and press me for reasons and I can't give them one really, it just feels right for me :flower:

And that's a good enough reason to do it honey! Xxx

wiggly, congrats!!! the pics are gorgeous - well done!

Congrats, those are awesome pictures (love seeing home birth pictures :flower:)

I have a question for you guys: How many of you are first time birther's that are going for home/free standing birth centres? Lots of people I've talked to chose home after a traumatic/not to plan hospital birth and I think that's awesome :) But curious about first timers and why you chose to be at home.

This will (God-willing) be my first live birth. Always thought I'd give birth to #1 at a hospital, then have later babies at home. Well, we lost #1, and with #2, the more I read about birth practices in this country, the more I wanted a home birth for my 1st live birth.

I wanted a home birth with my first but due to hypertension and oedema, was considered high risk and advised to be in hospital. Unfortunately, being less well informed, I accepted this advice and had an awful birth in hospital. This time I was determined. I declined BP monitoring from 28 weeks and had an easy pregnancy and a lovely, calm and gentle birth. I would recommend a home birth to anyone, first time or not. Good luck, it's such an amazing experience :flower:

If I had none more about homebirths my first time around I would of gone for one even though I was "not old enough" im more relaxed at home and really dislike hospitals..

Ive found out today though that after 5days post birth the HV/MW will not come to my home to check on me and baby and that I will be booked into clinics to see them, unless I end up with a C-sec, seems abit odd since your suposed to be recovering and getting used to having a newborn without having to worry about going to clinic every few days

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->