Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

wss ^^ :D

I had my first at home, he was a waterbirth. Most amazing experience of my life! I'd recommend using a tens machine, I got to 7cm with just that, then used water and gas and air. Good luck ttc :D xx

Hi everyone!

DH and I aren't pregnant yet but recently made the decision to have our first child. My OD is coming up this week and we are ready to take the plunge. So excited!

We have decided for natural waterbirth (possibly a homebirth). Not sure if at a center or at home (apartment) but I am somewhat scared and nervous of the pain. I've always had bad menstrual cramps to the point of vomiting so I know how to endure pain but I imagine that labor pains are much different.

As a first timer I am a little scared and I know it's different for everyone but any advice on handling the pain and what to expect would be greatly appreciated! Also, being a first timer, do you suggest going to a birthing center or is it okay to have the birth at home?

Thanks and Happy Labor Day!

I´m also a first timer (19 weeks now), and I plan on a homebirth, in water, using hypnobirthing techniques.
If you intend on using hypnobirthing techniques to manage pain, just make sure to start as soon as possible after getting pregnant (to prepare properly)
I haven´t discussed any other pain relieving options with my midwife, but we´ll talk about that when I get nearer my due date.

Good luck on your journey :)

Thanks for all the replies!

Hubby and I were discussing today and decided to go to a really nice birthing center about 20 minutes from home. The reason being that I think living in an apartment complex might prevent me from really relaxing and feeling like I can't kick, scream or yell if I need to. Definitely don't want the cops called :haha:

I will be emailing the birthing center in a bit to schedule a pre-conception appointment/counseling session.

Hoping to do a water birth and looking into the hypnosis as well. I did read a bit on the TENS machine but read it's not safe to use if you're pregnant because they don't know the effects on an unborn baby. Will continue looking into it.

Will keep you all posted. We are so excited to start on this amazing journey!:happydance:

Hubby has started asking me questions about what I want in labour... like when would I like to get into the pool, when should we call the MW... Yay :)

ooooooooooh congratulations! Happy and Healthy nine months to you :happydance:

I was reading in another group about anaemia, and this article was mentioned. JB's iron concern above made me think I should post it here.

Well a home birth is off the cards for me for the foreseeable future :( Found out today that none of the three home birth midwives are attending homebirths anymore due to recent laws :(

Well a home birth is off the cards for me for the foreseeable future :( Found out today that none of the three home birth midwives are attending homebirths anymore due to recent laws :(

What kind of law can prevent you from having a home birth?
Weird...

Congrats, MandaAnda!

Sorry to hear about that NDH, its frustrating when the laws get in the way of our hopes and dreams.

preg_pilot, Austrailia is known for their strict homebirthing laws and regulations, mainly restricting the midwives' practices. There are some state in the US that have outlawed midwives as well. Unfortunately, the freedom to birth how and where you want is not always as straight forward as it should be.

They're not exactly illegal, but have been forced underground by requiring the midwives to have extortionate indemnity insurance. Some midwives are still practicing but under the radar, but the three local ones have all decided not to take the risk. An extension has just been given on when they have to have the insurance by (another two years) so they might start practicing again but that remains to be seen.

The same is due to happen for independent midwives in the UK in about a year's time if it can't be stopped. :(

Urgh it's all political crap! Women have the right to labour and birth where they like, it's our human right and the government just love making things difficult! So rubbish! X

Where is the reverance for life in this world :grr: women should be able to birth with whom and where they please!...it's clear to me that men are running the show. Politics have no business in how we chose to birth. The laws here can be problematic. I am lucky enough to be in the state where HBing (in the US) began...but even insurance wont cover HB..though they would cover the same exact provider at a FSBC :dohh:

This article was written by two men who are outspoken supporters of late term abortion - the ob having done an abortion at 32 weeks. And now they think that its their perogitive to speak for the "rights of the unborn" to be born in the "safety of a hospital".

Why men think they have a right to try to control where and how and when women give birth is beyond me.

Congrats, MandaAnda!

Sorry to hear about that NDH, its frustrating when the laws get in the way of our hopes and dreams.

preg_pilot, Austrailia is known for their strict homebirthing laws and regulations, mainly restricting the midwives' practices. There are some state in the US that have outlawed midwives as well. Unfortunately, the freedom to birth how and where you want is not always as straight forward as it should be.

Wow... I feel so lucky right now.
Women in Iceland have the choice to give birth in a hospital, in a birthing center, or at their own home.
Everything related to maternal care is free (paid by the government), except for tiny beginner fees paid for in ultrasound (about 50USD each time - usually 2-3 times per pregnancy).
I chose to give birth at home, and the government still pays for everything my midwife does for me. All I have to pay for is a medpack she brings to the birth that costs about 20USD (includes a cover for the pool (that the MW brings with her), syringes, needles and stuff used during the birthing process).

This article was written by two men who are outspoken supporters of late term abortion - the ob having done an abortion at 32 weeks. And now they think that its their perogitive to speak for the "rights of the unborn" to be born in the "safety of a hospital".

Why men think they have a right to try to control where and how and when women give birth is beyond me.

Auggh that makes me SO angry.

Where were they to speak up for when "they" (the hospital) decided to F up every hour of my son's birth??? Or does that statistic not count because it doesn't support their argument??

the crazy thing about the US, even if it is legal to homebirth (in a lot of places its not) most insurance companies refuse to cover it. And the big kicker? Insurance companies decide what is high risk and what is low risk. And based on the risk they decide if they cover something or not. Well when it comes pregnancy and birth and postpartum, they site down with obstetricians at hospitals. yes. your read correctly the hospitals (for profit nonetheless! maternity wards keep hospitals in business!) the OBs from porofit hospitals are the ones telling the insurance company that HBs are extremly unsafe and yadyadayada. How twisted is that??? Obstetricians are making money, of course they are going to say that! they are also giving old (highly bias) research saying its not safe when the fact of the matter is homebirth has been proven to be just as safe (if not safer than) hospital birth in a low risk women......the hospitals keep in business bc of pregnant women and babies. OBs make money off every birth. They make even more money off C-sections. The Insurance companies make money, lots of it. ....i smell a fish! ...you wont ever see an insurance company sit down a MW :nope: which is crazy considering i can birth at home for $2000 or i can birth in the hospital (intervention free) for $10K...why the insurance company wouldn't cover that is crazy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->