Home Birthers & Hopefuls!

Oh Aliss but it would have been so much worse at home didn't you know? [/sarcasm]

Preg pilot, we have the same deal in Canada and I am SO thankful! I cannot imagine being forced into the hospital against my wishes and without any real need to be in a hospital. Here we also have 100% covered basic health care by OB or midwife, in hospital or home. I hope other countries wake up and follow suit soon. It would certainly save them a lot of $$$$!

Congrats, MandaAnda!

Sorry to hear about that NDH, its frustrating when the laws get in the way of our hopes and dreams.

preg_pilot, Austrailia is known for their strict homebirthing laws and regulations, mainly restricting the midwives' practices. There are some state in the US that have outlawed midwives as well. Unfortunately, the freedom to birth how and where you want is not always as straight forward as it should be.

Wow... I feel so lucky right now.
Women in Iceland have the choice to give birth in a hospital, in a birthing center, or at their own home.
Everything related to maternal care is free (paid by the government), except for tiny beginner fees paid for in ultrasound (about 50USD each time - usually 2-3 times per pregnancy).
I chose to give birth at home, and the government still pays for everything my midwife does for me. All I have to pay for is a medpack she brings to the birth that costs about 20USD (includes a cover for the pool (that the MW brings with her), syringes, needles and stuff used during the birthing process).

Everything is covered in the UK as well, even scans. It's independent midwifery (if you *choose* to pay privately) that's under threat here.

Oh Aliss but it would have been so much worse at home didn't you know? [/sarcasm]

PFFT of course!!! I'm sure my midwife would've jacked me up with Pitocin for 3 straight days at home too!!!!

So glad I live in uk where we have the choice, think its ridiculous that some places deem it illegal, what the hell do they think women did before hospitals were around!! Being at home is most natural and with evidence that it's actually safe it's just madness they put a stop to it! Xx

Hi Ladies,

I haven't posted on B&B for a long time but I have just found out I'm expecting again and am looking forward to another homebirth, so I thought I would pop by the forum again to say hello!

Hi Ladies,

I haven't posted on B&B for a long time but I have just found out I'm expecting again and am looking forward to another homebirth, so I thought I would pop by the forum again to say hello!

Congrats, hun! Where I used to live in oklahoma, it took me forever to.find a midwife who offered homebirth and waterbirth. And when I did find her she was almost three hours away. This time DH and I have taken matters into our hands and have been doing everything here at home ourselves! I cannot wrap my mind around homebirth being deemed illeagal. It is truely insane.

Hi Ladies,

Congratulations! Our EDDs should be around the same time then. :flower:

Hi Ladies,

Ooh, that's fantastic! I've dated my EDD as 14th May. What about you? I hope you get you HB this time!

Do you still work in the hospital NICU ward? I remember when I had my little man and he had to be transfered to NICU I made a post on here and you posted a comment which made me feel a lot better about everything. xxxx

Hi Ladies,

Ooh, that's fantastic! I've dated my EDD as 14th May. What about you? I hope you get you HB this time!

Do you still work in the hospital NICU ward? I remember when I had my little man and he had to be transfered to NICU I made a post on here and you posted a comment which made me feel a lot better about everything. xxxx

Im due the 20th May!

I left the neonatal unit life a year ago now, as we were due to move, and me working on a ward was so hard on my family. I worked for NHS Direct for four months and just didn't feel it was a good fit since I'm paediatric trained. I work in the community now, giving kids enzyme replacement therapy. It's pretty cool.

But I've done my doula course and need to sort out getting mentored so I can do that instead. And I want to take the IBCLC exam next summer. I'll always have a special place in my heart for my NICU babies though. :baby:

Pheww, my breech baby has suddenly flipped! Thank goodness. Still on track for approximate Halloween date baby!

That's great news! My little guy is head down so all good as long as he stays put. We have an US at 36 weeks just to check on everything and get the all clear for a home birth :)

Aliss, at what gestation was your first born?

My first was born at 39+1, second was somewhere between 37-38 weeks (got pregnant 2nd PP AF, so not too sure on those dates, as I wasn't charting)

I'm thinking this one will come before EDD, too.

So I'm thinking we're going to go ahead with another unassisted homebirth, Lord-willing! I wasn't sure what we'd do this time after my losses, I felt sort of tied to a care provider (an OB specifically for regular labwork and Rx's), but there's no reason I need to have someone assist me for birth, and I don't want all the testing done in pregnancy anyway. So I think I will ask my FIL to do my labwork every 4-6 weeks, adjust from there, and ditch my OB. He's a very kind man, but pretty useless for someone who actually knows what they are doing, KWIM? We have few to no midwives in my area, though I am contacting one a few hours away. I'd love to go unassisted again if it works out though!!

That's great news! My little guy is head down so all good as long as he stays put. We have an US at 36 weeks just to check on everything and get the all clear for a home birth :)

Fantastic! :) Stay put lil guy!!

Aliss, at what gestation was your first born?

My first was born at 39+1, second was somewhere between 37-38 weeks (got pregnant 2nd PP AF, so not too sure on those dates, as I wasn't charting)

I'm thinking this one will come before EDD, too.

Hi silver_penny - my son was born at 40+5 after a rough 3 day induction so who knows when he really wanted to appear. You sound like you'll go a few weeks before for sure!

So I'm thinking we're going to go ahead with another unassisted homebirth, Lord-willing! I wasn't sure what we'd do this time after my losses, I felt sort of tied to a care provider (an OB specifically for regular labwork and Rx's), but there's no reason I need to have someone assist me for birth, and I don't want all the testing done in pregnancy anyway. So I think I will ask my FIL to do my labwork every 4-6 weeks, adjust from there, and ditch my OB. He's a very kind man, but pretty useless for someone who actually knows what they are doing, KWIM? We have few to no midwives in my area, though I am contacting one a few hours away. I'd love to go unassisted again if it works out though!!

Good luck with your unassisted!

Woo hoo! Midwives are now on call for my home birth! :D Now to go into labour!!!

I am all set with my new midwife, it's early, but I'm homebirth hopeful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->