Home schooling

Sorry another question.

How many hours do you actually spend working i.e on textbooks? When DD1 was out of school for year I mentioned earlier, we probably actually only spent about 1.5 hours and sometimes even less on textbook work.

Alot of the other time was spent on practical bits i.e arts and crafts, science bits we found on the net etc.

I just worry that if we was too choose this option then it wouldn't be adequate, I would have visits from the education authority's as 2 out of 3 are already in the system. We only had one last time but she did seem pleased with what we had been doing but did say that it would be followed up with another appointment with somebody else.

I know that the time spent was plenty for DD1 as even now she is above average in all areas but am just worried the authority's wouldn't see it this way iykwim?

Sorry for all the questions. :flower:

Just to reassure you there are loads of home edders out there that don't use any text books at all. I only use maths and writing ones, and then only when the kids ask - so at most once a week. You can keep a note of the books they have read, the places they have visited etc to use as evidence.

It does depend on your LEA though; some are sticklers for textbooks/workbooks and don't like informal evidence on its own; and while you could fight them its not usually worth the hassle (for us it isn't anyway). We do sometimes do loads of formal work at once when we know the lady is due to come soon-its ridiculous but it makes life easier in the long run so its worthwhile. The work doesn't have to be marked and dated though, though I do usually mark it as its quite fun lol xx

I would say give DD1 the choice of what she wants to do if she asks. It may not be something that she wants to do as she is already at the school and presumably settled.

I would like to be able to but I know that she would choose to stay at school which in all honesty I'm not sure is the best option for her at the moment.

Saying all this though we are probaly going be moving soon about 30 minutes away from where we are now so the being settled won't then be a problem, nor may the 'not so good' schools.

I loved primary school, it was the best time of my life. I got to spend 9-3 everyday with my friends. I wouldn't deprive my children of that as long as I thought that they were getting a sufficient education. I hated secondary school though and probably would happily have been homeschooled for that. However English, German, Irish and Maths, my parents, although they were well educated (dad was a doctor) were not subjects that my parents were experts in, the way my teachers were. I think my children deserve more expertise than I could give them.

I loved primary school, it was the best time of my life. I got to spend 9-3 everyday with my friends. I wouldn't deprive my children of that as long as I thought that they were getting a sufficient education. I hated secondary school though and probably would happily have been homeschooled for that. However English, German, Irish and Maths, my parents, although they were well educated (dad was a doctor) were not subjects that my parents were experts in, the way my teachers were. I think my children deserve more expertise than I could give them.

and thats why we go to the places and learn together! :thumbup:

Teachers aren't so much experts in a subject as they are trained to teach... its only really at Uni level that a 'professor' of a subject will teach you, i dont think at secondary level they are experts unless its a bloody good secondary school.

Most teachers are trained to teach most subjects, as i found out when our Geography teacher did a runner and we were taught by my technology teacher who thought Swindon was a town and who i had a lengthly argument with, in front of the class about the fact that Swindon is most DEFINITELY a town (I live in Wiltshire)

There is a lot to be said, for learning how to teach, especially if you are teaching a large body of people, with Homeschooling it can be a lot more one on one so you find you can learn a lot more in shorter time without having to know much about anything to start with :)

Teachers aren't so much experts in a subject as they are trained to teach... its only really at Uni level that a 'professor' of a subject will teach you, i dont think at secondary level they are experts unless its a bloody good secondary school.

Most teachers are trained to teach most subjects, as i found out when our Geography teacher did a runner and we were taught by my technology teacher who thought Swindon was a town and who i had a lengthly argument with, in front of the class about the fact that Swindon is most DEFINITELY a town (I live in Wiltshire)

There is a lot to be said, for learning how to teach, especially if you are teaching a large body of people, with Homeschooling it can be a lot more one on one so you find you can learn a lot more in shorter time without having to know much about anything to start with :)

I agree. My BFF is a College Graduate with a Primary School Teacher degree and she knows no more than i do about teaching kids. She just has a pc of paper that says she can, where i dont. She can teach 30 kids and I can teach my kids. In fact, i have asked her for advice on things and we both were stumped.

Shes moved away after having trouble finding a teaching job and now lives in Cali and is a Dental Assistant. Yeah she shelled out all that college tuition/time/effort and works at a dental office :(

I loved primary school as well, but at that time schools were not required to rigidly follow the national curriculum and my year didn't follow the national curriculum at all as it was very new-so I am trying to recreate my primary school's approach on a much smaller scale at home and it is working out quite well. Sadly my primary school was closed a few years ago because each year group was only 10-15 pupils and the LEA said it was a 'waste of money' keeping it open; instead they have piled all the kids in the area into one 'super primary' with classes of up to 75 kids :o. Such a shame! My secondary school followed the national curriculum as they had to at that point and up to GCSE level in all subjects-I had already done all of the work in primary school so I was incredibly bored and was bullied as well xx

i am considering taking my daughter out of school as shes been so unhappy, unsettled and bullied since shes started its awful having a 5yr old coming home saying this happened that happened today and crying, she isnt eating, having nitemares etc and the teachers to be fair are being useless they seem to ignore the fact these children are being utterly awful and making my daughters life a misery. She is an extremely clever girl and excelled in nursery(part of the school) not once was there ever an issue now im in the school everyday over trouble thats gone on and getting nowhere im fed up of it all

i am considering taking my daughter out of school as shes been so unhappy, unsettled and bullied since shes started its awful having a 5yr old coming home saying this happened that happened today and crying, she isnt eating, having nitemares etc and the teachers to be fair are being useless they seem to ignore the fact these children are being utterly awful and making my daughters life a misery. She is an extremely clever girl and excelled in nursery(part of the school) not once was there ever an issue now im in the school everyday over trouble thats gone on and getting nowhere im fed up of it all

:hugs: If you need any help or advice I hope the ladies here can be of help. While there are some excellent teachers who do deal with bullying, some of them really don't have a clue :nope: xx

Not for me. I would hate to have to be the teacher or a pupil in a home schooled environment, for me it would be my worst nightmare (I would ONLY consider it if DS really struggled and disliked mainstream schooling). I don't even like the idea of village schools lol. But we're all different so long as the child is happy in whatever schooling they are doing that is the main thing. What I do have a problem with, having seen 15 kids and counting recently, is when they homeschool children with huge age gaps. For instance, on this programme a woman had 10 kids between the ages of 13 and 5 being taught (with toddlers screaming in the background), it looked MANIC I honestly can not believe she could teach all of them to their true potential all together at the same time with the huge age gaps. A 13 year old should not be taught along side a 5 year old...IMO.

Having now read some of the thread I just want to add I think it is really unfair to bash all schools with the same labels, and children for that matter the common issues being behaviour and large class numbers etc. There has got to be a balance. Parents cannot expect to send their children to school and have them come out at the end of it with a million A levels, good morals and amazing manners. Teachers can only do so much. I know myself, that when Elliot goes to school I will be keeping a close eye on what he is doing, I will ensure he works out of school hours as well as in, if he starts to struggle and I am not able to assist myself (e.g. secondary education beyond my understanding!) I will hire a tutor. He will NOT fall behind on my watch, it is my responsibility as much if not more than the school's. And it is my place to make sure he grows up appropriately not falling to peer pressure, I will not blame the school for that. My parents managed to steer us in the right direction, I don't quite see why everyone thinks the education system is suddenly going to pot. But, having said that, it was very interesting to read about home education and I have to say I am much more convinced by the idea having read some of this thread than before I did, I still cannot say it is what I'd like to do but it sounds like home schooled children still have a variety of experience and I can understand how you can cover more in less time, I love the idea of home school 'meetings' with other children.

Not for me. I would hate to have to be the teacher or a pupil in a home schooled environment, for me it would be my worst nightmare (I would ONLY consider it if DS really struggled and disliked mainstream schooling). I don't even like the idea of village schools lol. But we're all different so long as the child is happy in whatever schooling they are doing that is the main thing. What I do have a problem with, having seen 15 kids and counting recently, is when they homeschool children with huge age gaps. For instance, on this programme a woman had 10 kids between the ages of 13 and 5 being taught (with toddlers screaming in the background), it looked MANIC I honestly can not believe she could teach all of them to their true potential all together at the same time with the huge age gaps. A 13 year old should not be taught along side a 5 year old...IMO.

Its like when I was at school though, secondary to add, there was always naughty kids in the class that would disrupt the lesson and most of the time acted no better than a toddler. Theres always going to be them kids throughout schools that want to disrupt and pretty much just play up, to me I would rather handle my 2 LO's while teaching DD1 then I would 2 disruptive older kids/teenagers.

Saying that though I wouldn't be able to homeschool 10 kids, not that I disagree with it just that I know personally I couldn't cope with it. :)

There are SANE ways to teach different age gaps. Older kids are more independent, they dont need mom to do a full blown teaching. You do a simple lesson on biology and then let the 13yr old work on their lesson while you go over and teach phonics to the 5yr old. OR you can involve the 13yr old AND 5yr old in biology. The 13yr old can learn about the dissection of an earthworm and the 5yr old can learn about an earthworm and what they do, how they help the dirt/earth.

it CAN be done. :thumbup:

There are SANE ways to teach different age gaps. Older kids are more independent, they dont need mom to do a full blown teaching. You do a simple lesson on biology and then let the 13yr old work on their lesson while you go over and teach phonics to the 5yr old. OR you can involve the 13yr old AND 5yr old in biology. The 13yr old can learn about the dissection of an earthworm and the 5yr old can learn about an earthworm and what they do, how they help the dirt/earth.

it CAN be done. :thumbup:

I only watched this one programme so I really don't have the experience to comment, but from that one snippet it looked awful, the 13 year old was in the room looking bored out of her mind while toddlers were screaming, and the mum was asking questions the 7 year olds were answering and seemed to irrelevant to the 13 year old. Maybe this example was not a good one or representative, or it was just a bad day.

As for the screaming distractions I did not have this in high school, by then we were all setted so being in the top sets meant you weren't with the trouble makers so teaching was fine, having said that I guess it is not fair on the students who are in the bottom sets and need the most encouragement but are being distracted by the classroom clowns.

^^ I wish I had been 'setted' in secondary school. I don't think they do that anymore though. :)

^^^^

It depends what school you go to. He senior school my niece and nephew go to is like that. They have classes for those that are extremely bright and those that bed extra help are in classes where they are able to provide that extra help with teaching assistants etc.

Oh really, I honestly didn't realise it still happened. Around here the majority of the secondary schools are now academy's. I have no idea how their run as there rather new, DD1 goes to a primary academy though and I know that isn't grouped on ability's, just randomly. :)

I thought sets were the norm??! It's still the same in this area and I just asked my mum who went to a completely different area and she was setted. How are you supposed to learn with people at such different levels to you? I sat higher papers for all my GCSEs so had to be taught certain things different to those in lower sets? I would have hated to have been taught with people expecting much lower grades, the only classes that weren't were home ec/tech based subjects.

The only thing that I suppose you could call 'setted' for me was GCSE papers, they were usually foundation, intermediate and Higher (If I remember correctly). How we were taught the work beforehand wasn't setted, it was all in one classroom for different subjects with children of all levels.

Pheraps it is just our area that is like this then, or at least was before it turned into an academy. ;)

The only thing that I suppose you could call 'setted' for me was GCSE papers, they were usually foundation, intermediate and Higher (If I remember correctly). How we were taught the work beforehand wasn't setted, it was all in one classroom for different subjects with children of all levels.

Pheraps it is just our area that is like this then, or at least was before it turned into an academy. ;)

That must have made schooling difficult, I can understand your apprehensions. I remember in year 7 we were just taught in our form groups so they could grade us, it was a hellish year because we had ALL the 'naughty' boys from the year group, but then from year 8 we went into sets for almost all subjects so thankfully only saw the rotten lot during registrations! Then at A level we weren't setted any more obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->