Home schooling

But you cant have them attend a school and then just take them out willy nilly. I doubt many schools would accept a pupil that would not be attending full time.

I know a few ladies whos children are at state school and take there children out two set days a week one to attend a Steiner kindergarden and the other to attend a forset school they haven had many problems and tge kindergarden has over 20 children so it must be happening alot they catch up with work at home in the afternoon x

Oh right. I know at "usual" schools you probably wouldn't be allowed with a statement as the EWO would be right on your case. xx

I'm
Not sure really but there at at normal state schools but it seems fine our la are very supportive or home educating and alternative educating and as there attending other schools not juts being kept of I don't think the la can say much about it really

I dont know. I am just going by what I have seen. I guess its disruptive to lessons and pupil they could argue. I know another post said about structure but my LO is on a rigid structure and he is in juniors. x

I'm confused, do you mean at secondary level or junior level?

In Primary.I explained how I work and I can't see a good way to manage this. If you are saying you would just do a few days a week, how would you manage the situations above?

I think it would take cooperation on both sides, maybe a rough Idea of what was being covered in the week so that parent could make sure child was up to date and not too far ahead etc

I'm nots sure how it works but I know it works for there Los and th schools are fine with it. I've not looked into it properly as my lo won't be going to state school. X

Several children in my home-ed group do flexischooling. One girl goes to the primary school up the road from me for 2 hours per day. Not sure exactly how they deal with what subjects she learns at school, but I'd imagine it's not really about the academic side of things anyway.

Flexischooling can involve a few hours, mornings/afternoons or whole days. Any parent can request it, and it's down to the individual head teacher to agree or not.

I'm confused, do you mean at secondary level or junior level?

In Primary.I explained how I work and I can't see a good way to manage this. If you are saying you would just do a few days a week, how would you manage the situations above?

I think it would take cooperation on both sides, maybe a rough Idea of what was being covered in the week so that parent could make sure child was up to date and not too far ahead etc

Hmmm , I would find this quite hard to support enthusiastically if I am being honest. I feel that it is better to be either homeschooled or school educated. I just see this becoming quite disjointed and really difficult when things are regularly continued from one day to the next but someone is regularly absent.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who is doing it successfully though!

I dont know. I am just going by what I have seen. I guess its disruptive to lessons and pupil they could argue. I know another post said about structure but my LO is on a rigid structure and he is in juniors. x

I dont really understand how a child receiving good one on one care could be disruptive? How about a child with learning disabilities that needs extra care during school hours but outside of the school?

The point of home schooling, Steiner schooling, flexi schooling and home education, is that it's getting away from this idea that children are robots who all behave in the same way and are okay with little one on one contact and support. When you have a child able to learn at their own pace, with help and support on hand, you find a much more comfortable, satisfied and calm child.

Some more information about flexi schooling

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-the-new-trend-of-flexischooling-1976414.html

https://www.leics.gov.uk/lcc_flexischooling_guidance.pdf

Personally I think all teachers should be aware that not every child can /will be in school for every day of the week, it's well known that gypsy families are fairly changeable with schools and children may be in one school for 3 months then move on

Then there are children with learning disabilities, special needs etc

I really think (as a parent) that is is high time our society moved away from the idea that everyone is 'the same' and requires 'the same' no more or no less.

I dont really understand how a child receiving good one on one care could be disruptive? How about a child with learning disabilities that needs extra care during school hours but outside of the school?

The point of home schooling, Steiner schooling, flexi schooling and home education, is that it's getting away from this idea that children are robots who all behave in the same way and are okay with little one on one contact and support. When you have a child able to learn at their own pace, with help and support on hand, you find a much more comfortable, satisfied and calm child.

Honestly, I have never met any teacher who thought this. If only they all did learn in the same way then I would not need to plan 3+ different approaches to everything so as to meet the needs of all the learners. A little bit insulting for all the practitioners out there who spend their working lives ensuring that the needs of the whole class are met.

What is disruptive I think is the coming and going. It would not be a simple fit in as, while the child may not be attending school for the academic aspects, they will have to take part in these while they are in school.

I could never homeschool mine - he wouldn't listen to me lol.
Seriously though - it think it does them good to get away from the house and their parents.

I was taught (and failed) by 3 schools worth of teachers who felt like that! A school is only as good as its teachers and in classes of 30+, even those great teachers are stretched.

It really is little wonder that parents look for other ways to educate and support their young. It's quite natural really.

I could never homeschool mine - he wouldn't listen to me lol.
Seriously though - it think it does them good to get away from the house and their parents.

Homeschooling kids do get away frOm there parents just because they don't go to school doesn't mean there stuck with there parents all the time xx

My boys attend a part time religious school for two hours a day; a lot of home-edded kids attend something where they are not with their parents or other family, but even if they didn't I don't see any harm in it to be honest. When I went to primary and secondary school most of the teachers were parents of someone in those schools; so no getting away from their parents for those kids! xx

I was taught (and failed) by 3 schools worth of teachers who felt like that! A school is only as good as its teachers and in classes of 30+, even those great teachers are stretched.

It really is little wonder that parents look for other ways to educate and support their young. It's quite natural really.

Things change though. I was taught when corporal punishment was still legal. Peoples' mindsets and understanding change and develop. How I teach now is so different to how I did 10 years ago as methods and approaches change. School today is not how it was when I or you were attending.

From what I can gather, it's worse... Bigger classes, less valued teachers. Let's not be under illusion here, less and less children leave school with a reasonable level of education.

well I can say in school I failed and it was the schools fault. I was a willing pupil and so where many others in my class, we even started up war because we where not being taught and had several teachers in trouble for saying "we where not worth teaching" as we where all branded stupid. I had no arts teacher and I was good at art, I left one really good school where I had As and was top of the class in a good band (they use band here top middle and bottom.) Top classes got school trips, all the education to pass the chosen subjects and middle band to, bottom band wasnt helped but cast off , no school trips no extra help. I moved schools as i was being bullied and beaten up for being the quiet, fat girl. In my next school they had me in bottom band as they had no room in the other classes and promised to move me up but never did. Because no one was getting educated they passed out tests on things we had no idea about and where failed anyway. I only was allowed to choose 4 gsces, main ones maths, English, art and music I wanted. I am good at music I can play instruments I self taught myself.

Music class was home work class or crosswords, we never got taught anything because no one else knew how to play anything and one pupil wasnt worth teaching. So we sat quietly watching the clock. My art teacher left in 4th year, year before my gcse and wasnt replaced so we got no arts class just another class we say quietly in doing home work from math and English. I had no history class, the science teacher walked out soon as we entered, we started a row with her demanding she educate us and do her job. She never did. So most girls sat and done make up then and sat outside the exit doors smoking. That same teacher would chill and read magazines with us to.

I had to do my gcses in a room of my own as I protested about being failed for them before i had done them. They only allowed you a D E F G, no A B C so they had failed us before we began for being in a lower class. They where scared of me speaking out in the exam. I refused to wear a uniform on them days to as it wasnt worth it. I done my exams in the company of the creepiest teacher who made jokes about being a lesbian when someone dropped a pen (you touching up that girl beside you) he was such a creep. I bunked my non school educational classes and he always came looking for me !

I left school with nothing really, I passed french welsh board exam and computers but no qualifications. I got handed a certificate printed on a computer for the gsces I had to teach for as there was no exam for them saying I attended the class. And was failed English, math, science. I never even bothered to collect my record of achievement, I also remember teachers calling me to apoligise for their behavior. I hate seeing unfair treatment. I got no careers lessons at all either as we where not good enough we where told. I walked out and got the principle and brought her back and there was a good talking done. I was branded a trouble maker although wasnt just someone who spoke up for girls who where treated like crap. My class had nice girls in it never did get in to trouble just ignored and cast off. My mum went to the same school and said it was the same when she was there. wish she told me about it before I choose it she always says that school ruined me. I dont think it did I think it made me stronger, I spoke up where I was a scared bullied child in the last one.

but my kids wont go there as it was all girls school anyway. But I will keep on their education and speak out for them to. If they get treated like shit from teachers and denied education there will be phone calls. As I said before I cant home school but am for it. I shall be helping my kids learn at home and be somewhere they just go to for a few hours to learn some stuff. My uncle is a teacher to, I did get excepted to a grammar school but wouldn't go as I hated him. To think I actually may have gotten somewhere lol

my partner also cant read or write, he can write his name thats it. He wasnt helped at all in his school. He came out with nothing as he couldnt read the exams. It effects his self esteem, He is really good at other things like drawing and engineering. He is more practical. No help was given if you needed it then just ignored. My brother had problems to and wasnt helped.

From what I can gather, it's worse... Bigger classes, less valued teachers. Let's not be under illusion here, less and less children leave school with a reasonable level of education.

I agree I think it does seem to be getting worse. Even when I was at school (I'm 27) there was big classes, disruptive students etc etc and the teachers attention did alot of the time have to go onto them students, but this was in secondary school, I never remember it being that bad in Primary and certainly not as bad as DD1's Primary is now.

I don't no I think that other kids being disruptive and class sizes are a big factor for me. I'm just not seeing what the point is of sending her to school to be verbally and physically attacked by other kids when there seems to be nothing being done about it.

I don't blame the teachers at all though, it just seems that they have no powers anymore and kids seem to have less and less respect for others. I suppose the 2 just don't mix that well. I think that the whole system needs looking at because it just doesn't seem to be working to me.

I was labelled as a 'problem child' and ignored.

when actually i was just quite clever and found that i was bored with the work and lack of stimulation. Its given me anger problems which have carried on into my adult life (though thankfully things get better each year) My brothers story is sadder, he was also very much left to his own devices and its turned him into a horrid, horrid adult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->