Home schooling

I said children are treated like robots and I believe that to be the case, not by teachers per say, but by the system as a whole

I actually think teachers are mistreated too so this is not a teacher bashing statement, it's an observation of the system as a whole.

Of course expecting a child to sit and work at the exact same pace as the 30 odd children in the class is expecting a level of monotony amongst children which I personally dont think exists.

Indy, I think you have expressed that you don't feel flexi schooling would work for a teacher, when I am only interested in knowing what works best for the child

For some that will be full time schooling, for some it would be home schooling but I truly believe many children would benefit from part time schooling.

Wheres the bashing in this thread then? people here are gaining more info on home schooling, I may not do it but wanted to know more about it anyway. Unless you mean my time at school as teacher bashing in which case they deserved that. Sadly they where not good teachers like some are.

Comments like teachers expecting children to be robots is bashing Dragonfly. It suggests we all just sit there, with no concerns for the individual and not allowing for any deviation. Not everyone who does not succeed as school does so because of teachers or schools. Some of that is down to the individual and some of it is down to the child's parents too. I for one cannot imagine taking a hands free approach to Em's education but many people do.

I didnt say that did I?:wacko: I said we clock watched while teacher done something else we actually had nothing to do in class just where handed crosswords or told to do homework given in another class. I know all schools where not like where I was, my aunt works in the school I was in and isnt the same now a days. I wish I was home schooled but no one was there to school me. My kids wont be homes schooled though.

Oh heavens Dragonfly, you asked where we felt there was bashing and I gave one example. I didn't say 'you said this' but I answered your question. There have been multiple posters on this thread so I didn't think I needed to go through and say 'X said this', 'Y said that.'
Sorry it was because I did make reference to similar, I missed some posts then. But aint staying around to argue just got info I wanted and am now less ignorant on home schooling. :thumbup:

Wheres the bashing in this thread then? people here are gaining more info on home schooling, I may not do it but wanted to know more about it anyway. Unless you mean my time at school as teacher bashing in which case they deserved that. Sadly they where not good teachers like some are.

"Children are treated like robots"

"Teachers don't care"

CONSTANTLY.

Your missing my point. My point is that we have a perfectly accessible school system, definitely not the worst in the world and people should use it. Thats what I mean. I didn't mean other peoples choices annoy me, I didnt mean it like that I just cant understand why if a child is capable then why should they need to stay at home.

I dont want to take my child out of school. I dont think it would benefit him or I. Sometimes in life we have to make choices and learn independence. I dont think it would be good for either of us if he was home schooled. It really would be a LAST resort and I mean Last.

Just a question. For those who are choosing a path other than conventional schooling, what has formed your views that home schooling would be better/schools are not the best option? Did you yourself have a bad time at school? Do you have other children at school?
I suppose what I mean is - if you haven't experienced the school system as it is presently ie you aren't a teacher or you have no children in the school system then how do you know it's as bad as you say?

And I don't think reading about it should be enough to form a decision either. Every school is so so different and you can't possibly know if it is good or bad without taking your child there/going there yourself could you?
Also, are home schooled children going to nursery or is that a no no too?

In your eyes it might be a perevr school system but there's no way I would send my child to a state school the only school we would consider would be a public school call me a snob but I don't Want my child mixing with rough children with no manners who fight swear ect. I also don't want my child to ho to school where there is slit of racism which in the town we live unfortunately there is. It's not te best system the classes are two big education is started to early ect. My child will be independent as he will have out of school activites with out us and he won't have any kids battering away at his self confidence like I did.

The point of it is you don't surpport home school not that your not aloud to take your child out of school and thaw fine as that's up to you and what you thinking best for your family. But for us were not ignoring a perfect school system as it isn't. If it was people would t pay thousands a year for public school

I think teachers do a wonderful job btw, my children are excelling academically and love going to school :thumbsup:

Just a question. For those who are choosing a path other than conventional schooling, what has formed your views that home schooling would be better/schools are not the best option? Did you yourself have a bad time at school? Do you have other children at school?
I suppose what I mean is - if you haven't experienced the school system as it is presently ie you aren't a teacher or you have no children in the school system then how do you know it's as bad as you say?

I had a awfultime at school and so did my oh and schools haven't changed round here the only thing that has is the bully's who were at school it's now there children who are the kids. I was a gifted child so I got build I'm very bad dyslexic and have a statement yet my mum was told I was thick I'm in the top 1 percent in the country for things. Because I didn't just fit inni was just ignored and I'd never want that for my lo. The teachers ate still tge sane as my nieces are at school my bro left a couple of years ago tge new teachers are girls who got d and e in there gcses so they would be no way my child will attend a state school. Never mind he would be in tge 0.1 percent of mixed raced children and we live in a big bnp area. We have thought about flex schooling at a Steiner school out of our area and we will think about it when lo hits school age. Were lucky we can afford tutors and my mum was a teacher. X

call me a snob but I don't Want my child mixing with rough children with no manners who fight swear ect. I also don't want my child to ho to school where there is slit of racism which in the town we live unfortunately there is.

wow! What a sweeping statement. My children have manners and certainly do not fight and swear!
You think that there is no fighting and swearing in a private school??? Erm...ok then.
My friend is a dr, he went to a private school, he is also of mixed race. He was racially bullied and hit at his private school.
Money does not necessarily buy manners.

Noo. I mean I know people have said some schools accept flexi schooling, But I know none around here do. I can honestly say that children are not monsters. Yes some might swear but not every school is full of bullys and horrible rough kids. Just because people live in a "rough" area it does not mean they have no manners and swear?
I love my sons school. I just wish he would get more funded hours but the school itself is amazing. The Headteacher sends out letters saying how great the kids are and I have frequently seen kids helping out the less able. Maybe we are lucky to have such a good school?
Most teachers I have met do care about the kids. One teacher said to me that its not a 9-5 job and you DO think about the kids and stuff that may help them when you are at home.

We do send them to school young here I suppose (my son was JUST 4) but it was all sort of learning through play and he didn't start proper work until year 2 really.

Even now in year 3 alot of the work is still based around being active, moving..learning though interaction. I dont know many schools that sit still in a class 24/7 anymore. Learning has changed. Its very practical now.

I just wonder is homeschooling better for the parents or the kids? Is it because parents dont like the idea of kids being away or is it really for the childs benefit too? x

Personally, I have a number of reasons for home educating my children:

I was home educated myself, as were my siblings, and we have all turned out well with a positive attitude towards education and learning.

I watched my sister change after she chose to go to school at age 8, she lost her love of learning and I don't want that for my kids

While I accept that there are some fantastic and amazing teachers in schools throughout the country, I have worked in enough schools to know that there are also some pretty awful teachers. It seems to be the luck of the draw which kind your child will get and I'm not willing to take the risk that my children will not end up with a good teacher.

This one is maybe a bit different, but it really gets my back up that once children are in school suddenly their parents have to ask permission to take their kids out of the school for a trip or a holiday etc. They are MY kids, I don't want to have to ask for permission to take them somewhere.

I love the spontaneity you can have with home ed - I can just wake up one day and say 'right, let's get the train to Edinburgh' and off we go.

I love to watch my children learn and grow as people and I want to be a part of that.

Most importantly, I feel that this is the right choice for my children and our family.

I wonder the same. It would be nice for the child to go to reception class, make friends, see what they think maybe.

I was home educated myself, as were my siblings, and we have all turned out well with a positive attitude towards education and learning.

I watched my sister change after she chose to go to school at age 8, she lost her love of learning and I don't want that for my kids

While I accept that there are some fantastic and amazing teachers in schools throughout the country, I have worked in enough schools to know that there are also some pretty awful teachers. It seems to be the luck of the draw which kind your child will get and I'm not willing to take the risk that my children will not end up with a good teacher.

This one is maybe a bit different, but it really gets my back up that once children are in school suddenly their parents have to ask permission to take their kids out of the school for a trip or a holiday etc. They are MY kids, I don't want to have to ask for permission to take them somewhere.

I love the spontaneity you can have with home ed - I can just wake up one day and say 'right, let's get the train to Edinburgh' and off we go.

I love to watch my children learn and grow as people and I want to be a part of that.

Most importantly, I feel that this is the right choice for my children and our family.

That to me seems fair enough, you were home schooled, it's something you have experience of.
I wonder about those who haven't, who haven't been inside a school for 15 years or so and made such a decision??

And that's the thing Marley, you make choices that you think are right. Ultimately if your child turns to you as a teenager and says "why" or "I wish you'd done things differently" you have to know you made the right choice x

cosmicgirl-

My reasons on our our blog, its WAY too long to put here, but basically we looked at everything- the school system, our educations, the schools curriculum, the teachers, the cost (yes even public school has a cost) and decided no.

That to me seems fair enough, you were home schooled, it's something you have experience of.
I wonder about those who haven't, who haven't been inside a school for 15 years or so and made such a decision??

its alot less than 15 years since i left school and i can tekl from the ofset reports round here that ours arent nice enviroment for children

I wonder the same. It would be nice for the child to go to reception class, make friends, see what they think maybe.

Not saying home schooled children don't make friends btw before I get pounced on ;)

Some home edders would actually be happy to send their kids to the first year or two of primary, some do send their kids to nursery. The problem is that once the kids are in the system it's pretty bloody hard to get them out again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->