Home water birth questions

amandad192

mum to 2
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning a home water birth but don't really have an idea on where to start. I have a few questions I'm hoping you can all help answer for me.

Firstly...what do I need to provide? I have loads of old towels that are rough and ready for the bin that I'm keeping to use for any mess. And I know I'll need to sort a pool out and a few cheap shower curtains..but what else??

Secondly..would I be able to give birth in my bath or do I have to use a birthing pool? Could I buy a paddling/swimming pool instead of a birthing pool? How big would the pool need to be? How long does it take to inflate and fill a pool?? Amelia's labour was only 3.5 hours.

How long do the midwives stay after birth? (honestly I'd want them gone as soon as possible so I can have time alone with my family)

Also if I need stitches, can the midwives sort me at home or would I have to go to hospital?

What you need to provide - you need your pool, some towels and shower curtains to lay on the floor. A thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature of the pool so you can adjust it if need be. A strainer/sieve to *ahem* remove any number twos that may escape! And that's about all I can think of in terms of equipment. I have just ordered a pump to remove the water afterwards though, because last time my poor DH and mum had to get it out with buckets!

Bath versus pool - I don't know if anyone has given birth in a bath, but looking back I would have said there's no way I would be comfortable in the bath. Not enough room. I liked having the space to switch positions. Plus the sides are squashy so I could lean into them. I'm not sure about a paddling pool but I don't see why not exactly. The only thing is that I had a liner on my pool which meant it was super easy to clean up and I don't know if you'd be able to do that with a paddling pool. I had a mini birth pool in a box, which was 65 inches by 75 inches. It fit nicely into my small living room. It took about half an hour to fill.

My midwives stayed for about an hour and a half to help clear up and to keep an eye on me because I was quite dehydrated. I'm guessing they would have gone earlier but for this. If you need stitches the midwives can do this at home :thumbup:

Thanks, I should probably add a photo of my bath. It's a corner bath with a seat part, It's not huge but it is bigger than average x

Is the liner just to make it easier to clean? No hygiene issue of using a pool (It would be a brand new unused one if I did)? x

A word on pools -
I want a home water birth and was planning on just buying a cheap little pool to inflate. My midwives suggested I strongly consider using theirs instead. I guess "professional" pools are actually foam, not inflated and they said the issue with an inflated pool is whenever someone leans on the side, it squishes and water gets everywhere. Or if it springs a leak, much badness.

Maybe your birth team has a pool you can rent/borrow? Although your bath sounds very nice too and has a drain! And easier to clean - just fill it up and add bleach and let it soak for a while! I wish my bath was bigger. . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->