Homemade first food oatmeal

Jencocoa

Reaction score
Sabrina is 5 months old. Thinking of oatmeal soon. Definitely not rice cereal. Thin out with breast milk. Anyone do this? Tips? Did you grind oats first or after cooking? Thank u!

No, I didn't start with oatmeal. Oats would be very difficult to digest. grinding them might be a way for them to pass through a bit better than whole oats.

Hmm, thats interesting because all my research as oatmeal as a great first food. Rice too constipating. Can't do gluten.

Steamed vegetables or fruits make very good first foods. You can cut into chunks for them to gum or chew. I did not start with oatmeal either. We did baby-led weaning and never gave any purées or cereals, only real food that she fed herself with her hands.

Grains in general are tough to digest. Vegetables are tough too. I found that the easiest things to digest were animal products such as fish, liver, eggs, cheese, et cetera. Violet's first food was salmon. We did a couple veggies, but they were a bit rough on the digestive end. She did a lot of eggs early on and had some fruit as well. Soft fruits are good. You can certainly start with whatever you like as long as it's soft enough or blended well enough, but if you want to go with what will nourish their bodies the most, I'd go with meat products.

Again, you can really start anywhere, so choose whatever sounds right to you. Just because meat products and other animal products feel right to me for nutrition reasons, doesn't mean it feels right to you for other reasons.

Edit: oh, and avocados and bananas were also great.

Oh, and as for the baby led weaning thing, we didn't follow it, but we didn't do purees either.

How old were your babies Sarah and Jen when you started foods? I am thinking of starting next month around 6 months because she seems super interested. I am thinking of skipping grains too and going right to food. We cannot do dairy in our house either. Avocado might be a great choice!

Steamed vegetables or fruits make very good first foods. You can cut into chunks for them to gum or chew. I did not start with oatmeal either. We did baby-led weaning and never gave any purées or cereals, only real food that she fed herself with her hands.

Tell me more about the baby led weaning process and how that went along with starting foods.

Tell me more about the baby led weaning process and how that went along with starting foods.

Violet was a week short of 6 months. I wanted to follow the guidelines of waiting until 6 months, but I was also excited to start feeding her and she was beginning to show interest.

BTW, I LOVE the name Violet. I wanted to name my daughter that so much, but my hubby was not convinced. We let our older daughter pick the middle name and she picked Rose...couldn't convince him two flower names!

We waited until a few days after seven months, and even then she didn't actually eat much. Little bits of turkey were her first food.

There is a book called Baby Led Weaning that has all the particulars, or if you go to the weaning section of this forum there are lots of threads about it, including this support thread:

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/weaning-nutrition/119046-blw-baby-led-weaning-support-thread.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->