Horse riding while pregnant!

DaisyDuke

Matilda Tasya's mum :)
Reaction score
This has become a huge issue while we have been TTC. I have my own horse and my DH says no riding and my mum and dad say i should? What do people think? My family are very out spoken so i'm really being pulled around on this. XXX

I ride and have worked with horses for a number of years (sadly my own dressage mare broke her leg and was PTS 4 months ago) and I will continue to ride up until it is uncomfortable or compromises my balance and makes it unsafe.
I would not ride the 'mad or the bad' while pg, but can see nothing wrong with riding steadier more sensible mounts (well .. I guess sensible is relative :rofl:)
Every Dr I have ever spoken to has supported riding while pg, most suggest stopping jumping (the big stuff anyway) and making you you don't sit on anything that wants to put you on the floor (see previous comment on the 'mad and the bad')

Its your body and your pg .. do what feels right for you

Sorry to hear about your Mare :hugs: that must have been awful.

Well my horse isn't the safest he loves me so doesnt want to ditch me but i have been known to fall off on many occasion. He is quite highly strung so spooks easy and gets wound up and does silly things. XXX

I've ridden, and owned horses for a long time and though accidents are rare I'll give you a link to a thread I made about my horse riding accident when I was in 2nd tri.

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-club/42011-had-bad-accident.html

IMO, after having an accident it just isn't worth the risk. Horses can be so unpredictable at the best of times and although I felt fine and confident riding up until my accident I was incredibly lucky not to lose my LO and if I had I would never have been able to live with myself.

If you're a lifelong rider there shouldn't be any problem on going on gentle daily rides. However if you're horse spooks easily it might not be wise to ride him :( Does he spook on the roads or just in general? Mine used to spook at leaves falling, Autumn was a nightmare!!

He spooks at all sorts of random stuff he is a false rig (if thats how u spell it) so has many stallion traits. The thing is i have no one else to ride him and he needs excerising. I have tried to find someone but there all bad riders, there is a lot about. XXX

Can you lunge him until you find a solution? I know it's not ideal.

I've ridden, and owned horses for a long time and though accidents are rare I'll give you a link to a thread I made about my horse riding accident when I was in 2nd tri.

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-club/42011-had-bad-accident.html

IMO, after having an accident it just isn't worth the risk. Horses can be so unpredictable at the best of times and although I felt fine and confident riding up until my accident I was incredibly lucky not to lose my LO and if I had I would never have been able to live with myself.

OMG i just read ur story i'm so sorry, how r u now? :hugs: XXX

I used to think that I'd be safe working around/riding horses whilst pregnant. I've got qualifications and I used to work as a riding instructor, it was all I did for a long time.

I remember posting when I first got pregnant with Beau wether or not it would be safe to continue. People advised me it'd be best to give up but I thought I knew better. Beau died from a little fall I had whilst on the yard. I never knew such a small impact on my stomach could have caused such a fatal thing to happen. Needless to say I haven't been near a horse since and I never plan on getting near one again. It's sad because horses were my life, the only thing I could do and it's gone. When I go back to work I'll have to start at the bottom of the ladder in another career just because I made a misjudgment.

It's totally up to the individual what you do but in my opinion now..... I'd rather give up something I love for a few months, than lose it for a life time.

Good luck whatever you decide hun:hugs:

Can you lunge him until you find a solution? I know it's not ideal.

He is REALLY naughty handle, so i think that may be worse, he has been known to run at me and kick out when i scoot him away from me, i'm making him so awful he is lovely really. XXX

I used to think that I'd be safe working around/riding horses whilst pregnant. I've got qualifications and I used to work as a riding instructor, it was all I did for a long time.

I remember posting when I first got pregnant with Beau wether or not it would be safe to continue. People advised me it'd be best to give up but I thought I knew better. Beau died from a little fall I had whilst on the yard. I never knew such a small impact on my stomach could have caused such a fatal thing to happen. Needless to say I haven't been near a horse since and I never plan on getting near one again. It's sad because horses were my life, the only thing I could do and it's gone. When I go back to work I'll have to start at the bottom of the ladder in another career just because I made a misjudgment.

It's totally up to the individual what you do but in my opinion now..... I'd rather give up something I love for a few months, than lose it for a life time.

Good luck whatever you decide hun:hugs:

Oh my god sweetheart that is terrible, i'm so sorry. Once you have finnished having your children would you not consider trying it again? XXX

Oh my god sweetheart that is terrible, i'm so sorry. Once you have finnished having your children would you not consider trying it again? XXX

I honestly don't think I could now. I only have to look at a horse and it brings it all back. Don't get me wrong, I'll always love them, they are beautiful creatures but I don't want to be near one.

Why not turn him away for a year? You might find it chills him out a bit, then you can bring him back into work when you're ready.

I'm doing much better now, but I have to have physio as I have muscle and nerve pain. I'm incredibly lucky in every respect, and the doctors were amazed that I startedt walking again, let alone that my baby seemed fine to. All in, I had 17 x-rays and a lot of pain relief and we still don't know if that will have an effect on her.

It's only my opinion, but after being through it it isn't worth the risk.

I honestly don't think I could now. I only have to look at a horse and it brings it all back. Don't get me wrong, I'll always love them, they are beautiful creatures but I don't want to be near one.

I totally understand :hugs:

Oh Snowball, I never knew that's what happened to Beau :hugs:

I don't have to take this decision as I haven't ridden now for ooo, nearly 10 years. I was told if I had another accident I could end up not walking, and then my horse was put down and that just stopped it for me.

Why not turn him away for a year? You might find it chills him out a bit, then you can bring him back into work when you're ready.

I'm doing much better now, but I have to have physio as I have muscle and nerve pain. I'm incredibly lucky in every respect, and the doctors were amazed that I startedt walking again, let alone that my baby seemed fine to. All in, I had 17 x-rays and a lot of pain relief and we still don't know if that will have an effect on her.

It's only my opinion, but after being through it it isn't worth the risk.

I have consider it but he is 19 now and still rides like he did when he was 5, so i'm scared if i give him so long off, when i bring him back into work he wont be the same. It's a difficult situation, made harder by my dad telling me is should ride. XXX

IMO, unless he's a competition horse turning away for a period of time is always a good thing if it's something you have to do. Gives them time to chill out and get back to being a horse for awhile. At his age, he won't suddenly forget how to work, and you'll find that a couple of months bringing him back into work will sort him out.

Do you know after speaking to u girls i'm not prepared to take the risk, i really hope i can sort something out. XXX

I wouldn't ride your horse, maybe you could find a calmer horse to ride? As an aside, have you tried a magnesium supplement for your horse? I used one called Smart Calm Ultra, from smartpak.com (you can check out the ingredients if you want, it's mainly magnesium) and it worked wonders on him for his anxiousness and nervousness. Lots of people have had good results with it, I think a straight magnesium supplement would have similar effects, I think Quiessence and other calming supplements are largely dependent on magnesium to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->