Hospital Bag Necessities

DSemcho

Reaction score
So I know I am a few weeks awY from third trimester, however the last 8 weeks before baby is due is going to be super hectic due to use moving back to the USA (getting our household goods shipment from overseas, our unaccompanied baggage and our vehicle!) So I'm going to be getting my hospital bag ready in May - so ladies what did/do you feel is a necessity to have in a hospital bag - aside from what you put in the diaper bag.

I've no experience yet, but have read through a lot of lists, and biggies that have been repeated over and over that I've tossed in my bag: hair ties, chapstick, basic toiletries, brush, chargers, a zip up hoodie, and loose clothing to wear home. Hospitals here in the US provide pads, gowns, mesh undies, diapers, wipes, etc, so you don't need to worry about those things.

Edit:
Basically anything you can think of that you'd need for before, during, or after, they provide. Stool softeners, witch hazel pads, formula if bottle feeding, everything.

My hospital bag includes nursing tank tops and yoga pants. I personally don't feel comfortable unless I'm in a tank top and some type of comfy pants. Two nursing sports bras. Travel sized shampoo and conditioner, tooth brush and paste and contact case and solution. And plenty of room to take home free goodies.

Daddy's bag has a change of clothes for him and our dd. Plus our phone charger, gum and cash. Diaper bag has his coming home outfit, 2 hospital outfits, nail clippers, a swaddler, diaper oil, and a blanket.

I also will pack a big sister bag for our dd but don't have it all sorted out yet.

You'll want breast pads, even if you're not breastfeeding. If you are planning to breastfeed, then nipple cream is essential!
Take a hairbrush, mirror and some make up, too. You'll feel rough after the birth, and it's amazing how much better you can feel just by making yourself look a little more human!
Does your hospital provide pain relief for afterwards? If not then pack plenty of paracetamol and take it regularly. It's safe to use if you are breastfeeding, and you are going to be in pain for a while, regardless of how you deliver.

I packed baby's clothes in his own bag except for diapers, baby wipes, some muslin cloths/washcloths and a blanket.

My own bag so far has:
-disposable underwear
-nursing pads
-a cosmetic bag with shampoo, conditioner, hair brush, hair ties & hair pins

Planning to pack:
-facial wipes and moisturizer, maybe an eye cream
-toothbrush & toothpaste
-shower gel
-bio oil
-lip balm
-eyeliner & mascara (and an eye make up remover), I wasn't in the mood for make up last time but who knows
-3 to 4 nursing bras
-comfortable clothing for daytime plus pjs
-phone charger
-camera plus its charger
-thinking about some flip flops maybe
-pillow

My hospital's booklet says they provide baby clothes, diapers, wipes, etc but they gave us absolutely nothing for dd. Made sure to pack extra clothes this time. No one was able to find dd's clean clothes at home despite easy instructions!!

With my first I should have packed more food as hospitals in UK don't provide anything for the partners and as he didn't want to leave me to walk to the cafe he was hungry (not that I cared at the time)! Toiletries are essential. Maternity pads. A pen for paperwork etc. Phone charger. Handheld electric fan. Energy drinks (I would throw up if I ate). Lansinoh nipple cream is top of the list (cheaper alternatives don't work anywhere near as well and it will last you months). Nappies, wipe, car seat (make sure you know how to fit it), cardigans, body suits (onesies), spare underwear, clothes for you. Muslin cloths. Dressing gown. I wouldn't bother with make up. I was awake all night feeding and was more concerned that my nipple were about to fall off than anything else! Lansinoh would Def have helped if I'd listened to my friend's advice and got some of that to take.

These are awesome! When I get home from work this afternoon I'm going to go ahead and make a list.

Another question - if DH can't be there, how can I document the whole thing without it being gory and showing the nasty bits of it? There is a high chance he will be deployed when the baby arrives.

Don't forget your birth plan, phone/tablet chargers too!!!

Try looking for a birth photographer who is experienced at taking it from tasteful angles. That's our plan because DH will most likely be at AT when ds comes.

I am getting a L&D photographer :) I've already discussed it with the person and I'm being charged $450 for that. She'll be on call 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after my due date. And she will only shoot from active labor until a little bit after delivery. And she will edit some of the images, and all the images will be put onto a personal flash drive :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->