Hospital bag, when did you start packing yours?

maybaby2018

Reaction score
I'm 22 weeks and I've been thinking about my hospital bag, when did you pack yours and what did you pack for you and baby? :) xx

I packed mine the day I went in to be induced at 40+1 :haha:

There's a huuuuge list as a pinned post at the top of the third trimester forum, ton of ideas there x

My water broke at 35 weeks, so I packed right after that, leaving little puddles all over my house LOL I'm in the US though, so not much is needed since the hospital provides almost everything.

I've been all packed and in the car for about a week now.

For me:
- shampoo and conditioner
- candy canes
- body wash
- maternity pads
- deoderant
- loofa
- Scentsy mini and wax
- my pillow

For baby:
- Several changes of clothes and a going home outfit
- half a dozen nappies (hospital provides a packet)
- wet wipes
- vaseline
- baby lotion

Pretty sure there's more than those but I can't recall completely.

First pregnancy around 25 weeks..then second pregnancy maybe around 32 weeks.

Baby:
Nappies
Wipes
Onesies x 4
Hat
Swaddle blanket

Me:
Nipple cream
Undies
Socks
Pyjamas
Slippers
Maternity pads
Shampoo
Conditioner
Shower gel
Deoderant
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Pillow
Headphones
Phone charger

I'm having a home birth, but I packed a bag just in case around 35 weeks both times.

I was around 34 weeks this time! I’ve still got a few outfits for me that I need to put in when the time comes, and some snacks for Hubby. X

I typically waited until 37 weeks in previous pregnancies, but then my last little guy surprised us all by coming at only 35 weeks (actually I was told I could go into premature labor because I had polyhydramnios but I stupidly avoided their advice to have my hospital bag early and ended up having to have my husband go home to pack AFTER I gave birth) so I'm definitely going to be packing earlier this time. I'll probably have it done around 28 weeks to be on the safe side.

My bag is always pretty simple since you're typically only in the hospital for 2-3 days. For me I brought:
-Two complete changes of clothes
-Robe or nightgown - I'm sorry but I can't sleep in hospital gowns
-Toiletries like toothpaste, tooth brush, shampoo, soap, deodorant, hair brush (believe me you will need it!), etc.
-This sounds weird but I bring along those bath sponges to pee on in case I get stitches because it BURNS to pee on them and by peeing into a sponge stops it from going directly on your stitches... yeah gross I know but not everything about birth is pretty and comfort is definitely a priority :haha:
-While we're on the gross part... epsom salt and hydrocortisone cream in case of hemorrhoids
-Something to keep you entertained (books for me)
-Snacks! You will be hungry and hospital food has a bad reputation...

For the baby I simply brought a couple outfits in newborn and 0-3 months (because you never know what size that baby is going to be), swaddling blankets, diaper rash cream and car seat. The hospital I birthed at provided diapers, wipes, shampoo, hats and pacifiers but you might want to check with yours to see what they cover. If you plan to bottle feed, sometimes the hospitals will even provide those, but I'd still bring some bottles and formula just in case.

I have started packing about 24 weeks (I'm now 26 weeks) and packed most of the stuff posted by the lovely ladies above.

I think whenever you feel like starting packing it you should just do it :D

I remember with my first, I didn't pack my back until I actually went into labor. My poor husband was running around our apartment like a maniac trying to get everything :haha:

I know if I packed it early I'd have it unpacked and repacked about 20 times before due date to check everything is there! I'll probably aim for having it done around 36/37 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->