Hospital vs home birth?

Both have pros and cons. I'm doing home birth this time. Oh is very supportive of it and I trust my body so why not? I'm not sick, I'm having a baby :)

Personally I believe that having a home birth is dangerous. Sometimes (although rarely) there are emergencies during labor (like cord prolapse or baby getting stuck) and they have to be delt with within 2 min or less. They monitor you very well at the hospital. You can have a midwife delivery and as much as a natural birth you want in the hospital as well, but they have the resources they need should things go wrong quickly. Unfortunately I have seen some very sad cases of home births ( I am a NICU nurse).

Totally agree!
I would never chose to have a baby at home...for various reasons, but part of it being if things turned bad, and they can quickly without warning, I want to know that my baby and I are safe! They opened this beautiful birth centre just down the street and I would love to give birth there, but they have no DR's at all and if any complications arise, they said it could take half and hour to get an ambulance there and then transport you to the hospital. IMO it's just not worth the risk.

I have to say tho as a NICU nurse your perspective is going to lean towards the more hospital end of things as thats literally all you see all day every day. You dont see the vast majority of babies who dont need help, you dont see the babies born at home perfectly healthy as, well, you just wont. So your perspective gets shifted towards what you know which is perfectly normal for us to do.

If I ran a cats home for three legged cats Id think that the world was over proportionately populated with three legged cats, but most have 4 legs.

my mums had 4 babies all in hospital and each time they have messed up. the last 2 births, me at 36 weeks and my little sister at 41 weeks and they told my mum she wasnt even in labour and kept walking off leaving her.
my mum almost died giving birth to me because the lack of care she got and then there was a bubble in her drip...she really thought she was going to die. they left her with blood pouring all over the floor.

now if thats what being around health care professionals does then id rather be alone in a field.

emergencies happen all the time yes but being in hospital doesnt mean u get seen and quicker :dohh:

Personally I believe that having a home birth is dangerous. Sometimes (although rarely) there are emergencies during labor (like cord prolapse or baby getting stuck) and they have to be delt with within 2 min or less. They monitor you very well at the hospital. You can have a midwife delivery and as much as a natural birth you want in the hospital as well, but they have the resources they need should things go wrong quickly. Unfortunately I have seen some very sad cases of home births ( I am a NICU nurse).

Seeing all the unnecessary interventions in hospital and the complications that those lead to actually played a big part of me choosing a home birth. I've seen one hospital admission that was a home birth, and it was due to severe jaundice - if that baby would've been born at hospital, it would've been discharged home and the jaundice still picked up at the same time (birth venue had nothing to do with it).

There are very, very few things that can't be managed at home, and a good midwife can spot most of these in advance enough to recommend a transfer to hospital. (I think it's also worth noting that here in the UK, all our midwives are registered with the same regulatory body - there are no lay-midwives v nurse-midwives like there are in the US.) So, with all due respect, saying you're a NICU nurse....well, it's subjective at best.

Oh, and I'm a NICU nurse. ;)

I had a straightforward birth with my first 4cm and stretchy on arrival baby born 8hrs later with just gas and air.

I didnt have a midwife with me continuously until shift change when i had a ve and i was 10cm my waters were broken and just over an hour later i had my baby. I spent 10 hrs in hospital in labour and had a midwife with me for about 3 hrs if you include the hourly checks they made.

While i was happy with my birth experience i knew then that i should have gone for the homebirth i wanted, If (god forbid) anything had gone wrong it would have been picked up much quicker at home where you have at least one midwife with all the time. I live 5mins from hospital in a blue light ambulance, which are on standby when a homebirth is taking place, the hospital would have been told about the problem as soon as decision is made to go in so they would have been prepared to receive an emergency.

If im lucky enough to have another i will behaving a homebirth, even the midwives at the hospital told me to have one.

My midwife actually asked me if I wanted a homebirth and I was like 'yeah!', she said that she thinks they are so much better for mother and baby and just as safe. I also live 2 minutes away from the hospital so I feel it's the safest option if this pregnancy continues to be healthy.

My ONLY concern is:
1. Neighbours hearing, we live in a flat...haha
2. Getting the birth pool sorted out

Apart from that, it sounds far more relaxing and I believe the more relaxed you are, the less pain you will feel.

I had a homebirth first time round and I was so glad I did. The whole experience was just as I wanted it and I had all my own things around me. I spent most of labour sat on my birthing ball watching comedy tv and DVDs with my OH and the midwife (who was there throughout).

I was monitored regularly and knew that if there were any problems I am only 15 minutes from the hospital. When you get close to the birth itself another midwife comes out so that there is someone to look after both you and the baby.

An hour after the birth the midwives had left and I was tucked up in bed with my little girl and my OH.

I have to say every time I told people I was planning a home birth for my first baby they would tell me I was crazy or brave. I really resented the implication I was risking my babies life! Fortunately the midwife was really supportive and reassured me that if there was any risk at all we would head straight to hospital.

Home birth every time - hospitals are for ill people

I wouldn't do it anywhere but in a hospital. If something happened or went wrong would already be there ready to be taken care of. And often times minutes and seconds can mean everything. I wouldn't want to risk being at home and not getting the care would need. Also birth is quite messy too and I like my home to be very clean. I for sure wouldn't want to be cleaning all the mess up or anything like that and for sure my husband never would come close to it.

Put down a sheet? then bin the sheet? Or have your LO in the water? What an odd reason to say homebirth isnt for you :shrug:

Anyway it seems that the US homebirth attitude is quite far behind the UKs :shrug: Its really weird how different childbirth is treated in 2 similar countries.

It's really interesting to read these responses and see where everyone is from - seems pretty much all our UK bump friends are in to the home births and have had bad hospital experiences, whereas the ones from US/Canada are more in to a hospital birth.

I never considered a home birth, and never will. Maybe midwives in the UK are different, but where I'm from, they aren't trained to intervene should there be complications, so if I were to have a home birth with my MW present, there's be no "doctor" nearby, and the closest hospital is 30 minutes away from me. To me, that's too far of a drive - a lot can happen in 30 minutes.

Not only that, I'll admit, I want an epidural. I'm going to ask for one as soon as I can have it. Yes, I've heard what MIGHT happen with one, yes I know it can slow down labor, but I hate pain. I suck at it. If I'm in ridiculous amounts of pain the whole time, it'll be awful, and yes it'll be "worth it" in the end but - why would I want to make it even harder on myself?

The maternity ward at our hospital is great. When you get to the hospital, your MW comes with you (if you have a MW) - she actually comes to the house first and then accompanies you to the hospital. When you get set up in the room, there's a nurse in there with you constantly, so you're never alone.

I understand why people would like the comfort of a home birth and I understand that you're having a baby, you're not sick, but a hospital just makes sense FOR ME, personally.

It's really interesting to read these responses and see where everyone is from - seems pretty much all our UK bump friends are in to the home births and have had bad hospital experiences, whereas the ones from US/Canada are more in to a hospital birth.

I never considered a home birth, and never will. Maybe midwives in the UK are different, but where I'm from, they aren't trained to intervene should there be complications, so if I were to have a home birth with my MW present, there's be no "doctor" nearby, and the closest hospital is 30 minutes away from me. To me, that's too far of a drive - a lot can happen in 30 minutes.

Not only that, I'll admit, I want an epidural. I'm going to ask for one as soon as I can have it. Yes, I've heard what MIGHT happen with one, yes I know it can slow down labor, but I hate pain. I suck at it. If I'm in ridiculous amounts of pain the whole time, it'll be awful, and yes it'll be "worth it" in the end but - why would I want to make it even harder on myself?

The maternity ward at our hospital is great. When you get to the hospital, your MW comes with you (if you have a MW) - she actually comes to the house first and then accompanies you to the hospital. When you get set up in the room, there's a nurse in there with you constantly, so you're never alone.

I understand why people would like the comfort of a home birth and I understand that you're having a baby, you're not sick, but a hospital just makes sense FOR ME, personally.

MWs arent just like baby nurses, they've been trained in ONLY baby and pregnancy related things for 3 years and if something should go wrong, i 100% trust them to know what to do :)

I do find it strange how people want an epidural 22 weeks before even in labour, lol. How do you know what the pain will be like or how your body will cope with it? Its not like a broken leg pain.

Put down a sheet? then bin the sheet? Or have your LO in the water? What an odd reason to say homebirth isnt for you :shrug:

Anyway it seems that the US homebirth attitude is quite far behind the UKs :shrug: Its really weird how different childbirth is treated in 2 similar countries.

I didn't say that just because of the mess, also I would never consider a water birth for myself at all, just grosses me out personally sitting in all that fluid and afterbirth, and blood and everything else, I personally wouldn't be able to stand it. I first said that I feel that there is too much of a risk factor. If an emergency happens which often times don't have warning of many times have only moments to respond and many things just can't be done in a home environment. Also hospitals are MUCH different it seems hre in the US than in the UK we get very good care, are monitored regularly, and at a push of a button someone comes in immediately to check to make sure everything is ok. Also we have private rooms, often times labour, deliver, and recoup all in the same room. They are built to be homey style and not so much like you are in a hospital, and all around are quite nice. But these are my opinions. I'm not saying they are right, and I'm not saying they are wrong either. What I am saying though is that they are my opinions and how I feel, and deffinitely shouldn't be put down for my opinions.

Hospital if things are complicated, home if things are normal. I see no reason to be in hospital if things are straight forward and I don't need pain relief, or the only pain relief I need can be adminstered at home.

The community midwives who attend home births are most likely much much more experienced than the midwife who I'd get on labour ward. I'm going to get one to one, or two to one care throughout labour, where as in hospital chances are I'd "share" my midwife with another woman during the early stages of labour and shortly after baby is born. So I'm going to get better quality staff and spend more time with them if I'm at home.

Most emergency's come with a warning and give chance to transfer in. And even more can be managed at home. There are very few scenario's where a hospital birth will lead to a better outcome for mum and baby, but much higher chance of interventions which lead to further complications. Most transfers are for things that are picked up earlier by the midwives who attend home births than a less experienced hospital midwife would pick them up. The ambulance service are aware when I'm labouring at home and I can be transfered in as needed.

I had a home labour last time. I had complications, my baby had a high heart rate, so I was transfered in. It took 25 minutes from deciding I needed to go in until I got to my room on labour ward....and 10 minutes of this was me negotiating gas and air with the ambulance crew and walking to the ambulance taking a couple of contraction breaks. I'd have been there in 15-20minues if it was a omg-hosikal-now!-emergency. And LO was monitored and I had an epidural and she got worse and I had a C-Section....which is EXACTLY the same outcome I would have had if I had planned to go in to hospital all along.

This time I'll be staying at home if the section scar is my only complication as I believe that its actually safer and had a much greater chance of me achieving a vaginal birth without complication.

what an interesting read listening to everyones different thoughts.

When I first found out I was pregnant and booked with the midwives I totally had the attitude 'hopsital for definate, don't want the mess (I have cream carpets!!), if something went wrong I want to be in hospital'. Then as my pregnancy progressed I started thinking about all the details, when do you go to hospital?, travelling while in established labour, walking past loads of people in hospital whilst in labour, being left alone in a labour room with just DH, DH being sent home after the birth if its in the night...the list is endless.

So to cut a long story short decided on a home birth. It was the most AMAZING experience of my life. All we had to do was cover the floor with sheets in early labour and fill the pool up. The midwifes cleared everything accept the pool up and put my house back together while i had a shower (in my own bathroom!) after my son was born. Me DH and our baby were all tucked up in bed before the midwifes left and they left phone numbers should we need help in the night then visited the next morning.

Birth story is linked below if anyones interested xx

I didn't say that just because of the mess, also I would never consider a water birth for myself at all, just grosses me out personally sitting in all that fluid and afterbirth, and blood and everything else, I personally wouldn't be able to stand it. I first said that I feel that there is too much of a risk factor. If an emergency happens which often times don't have warning of many times have only moments to respond and many things just can't be done in a home environment. Also hospitals are MUCH different it seems hre in the US than in the UK we get very good care, are monitored regularly, and at a push of a button someone comes in immediately to check to make sure everything is ok. Also we have private rooms, often times labour, deliver, and recoup all in the same room. They are built to be homey style and not so much like you are in a hospital, and all around are quite nice. But these are my opinions. I'm not saying they are right, and I'm not saying they are wrong either. What I am saying though is that they are my opinions and how I feel, and deffinitely shouldn't be put down for my opinions.

:\ we don't all labour in a room together. we have private rooms too, and if you dont have to stay in for a few days, you stay in the same room until you leave to go home.
I'm not against hospital births, i had one with amelie and loved the experience but i think i would love the experience even more when im at home.

With my son's birth, I delivered him at home with a certified midwife (and naturopathic doctor) and a doula. I had the most incredible experience wouldn't trade it for the world.

I was able to walk around (at one point I went outside with supervision), eat food, listen to whatever music I wanted, and provide a welcome to the world for my son in the most natural environment possible. Instead of a chilled, sterile, fluorescent lit hospital room, we welcomed our son in our home. I felt much more comfortable at home and that helped me relax during labor.

Also, I was SO GRATEFUL that I didn't have to think about leaving my bed for days. If I had been at the hospital, I would have been discharged within 2 days and afterbirth SUCKS. (even though I had an easy vaginal birth with no tearing it still REALLY sucks.)

And not to mention how amazing the birth pool is. If you've ever had a period where you just want to sit on the couch with a heating pad on your cramps, you can appreciate warmth on painful muscles. Labor pain is like a SEVERE menstrual cramp, and the warm birth pool is like a heating pad.

If everything checks out normal and we have a healthy pregnancy this go around, I plan on having another home birth with a midwife.

I recommend watching The Business of Being Born - especially to the US mommas. Even if you want a natural hospital birth, it will help you if you are aware of the Dr's methods of coercion into a c-section (which is ALARMINGLY high in the US)

MWs arent just like baby nurses, they've been trained in ONLY baby and pregnancy related things for 3 years and if something should go wrong, i 100% trust them to know what to do :)

I do find it strange how people want an epidural 22 weeks before even in labour, lol. How do you know what the pain will be like or how your body will cope with it? Its not like a broken leg pain.

Actually, my MW specifically told me that they AREN'T trained in dealing with complications. In fact the midwives over here aren't even trained in higher risk pregnancies - they only deal with low risk pregnancies. Considering my MW told me that she wasn't trained should something go wrong, I feel that it's safes for me, and my child, to have people who ARE trained be near me.

I'm sorry you find it strange that I know I'll want an epidural, but I know how I am with pain and I pretty much know I'll want one. Several of my friends have already known halfway through their pregnancy if or if not they are going to try for pain management - it's really not uncommon.

I was talking about over here in response to 'maybe mws in the uk are different'.

& No, its not uncommon in the US, as is csections due to failure to progress. Coinsidense :shrug:?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->