hospitals stopping providing formula

Well they'll have to have more breastfeeding support etc for a start coz at the moment they're so stretched that people often don't get the support they need right at the beginning in hospital. I know that is the way locally here coz I'm a breastmate peer support councillor and have a lot of dealings with Mum's who were encouraged to give baby a bit of extra milk via a bottle in pregnancy and now their baby's are suffering from nipple confusion and struggling to latch onto Mummy's breast:hissy:

this is the problem i had with brendan i only lasted 3 days breastfeeding, no MW had the time to show me or help me and i was in pain and in the end i was really strugglin and crying everytime i fed him and bleedin more than i had milk lol! i kept asking for help but getting dismissed, this time im going to make sure i get more help!

this pretty much happened to me :(

I think they'll have supplies for emergencies but after they know baby will be on formula, the parents probably need to bring some in.

That would be a better idea - to still have the option there, even if there was a charge for the day's supply or whatever. Much more sensible than saying "we don't have any".

On a side note.... I'm still not entirely sure what we pay our National Insurance for.... the NHS don't even supply the basic care required most of the time (in my area at least), never mind the little extras to make a hospital stay easier, like a day's supply of baby formula, a couple of nappies, etc... (Sorry if this offends anyone but it's very close to my heart at the moment as I've had to invest in private care just to have the scans and bloods that should be "standard" on the NHS)

You might think that now but if you or someone close to you was in a serious accident I'm sure you'd have a different opinion on the NHS. The NHS get far too much stick IMO. If we didn't have free healthcare over here, we'd need to pay medical insurance or we'd be pummelled with HUGE bills.
I'm glad I don't need to worry about how I'm going to pay for my hospital stay and pain relief and maybe even an operation when I have my baby.

I appreciate everyone's differing opinions on the effectiveness of the NHS :)
I'm having to pay to get my ante-natal care in my local area as the NHS alternative is very poor. That could just be my area though.... I kind of wish at this point effective health insurance policies were something i had looked into.... as it stands now, a bill for £1500 is preferable to the lack of care and interest i had been recieving.

I guess in all my experiences of the NHS, not just this one, they have never yet given me any reason to have faith in the "free" service.... locally at least, money talks.

Anyways, not gonna hijack this thread anymore - SORRY about that! :blush:

i'm not sure its a case of wantin to get it from hospital cos of the cost, its more like, there's so bloody much you've got to take in when you go in!! and they only provide it for you for your time in hosp, so you've got to buy it when you get out anyway. OH and i were talkin bout it before and he said it was probs to discourage people who have the opinion of "i'll have a baby, get a house, get free milk, not work..." but they still get it free anyway i think???

i know the NHS do do a lot and that, i just dont see how its gona change your mind about breastfeeding if you dont have free milk for the time you're in hospital

Do many ladies really go in without nappies/supplies etc?! id never expect the hospital to give me loads of things.

I think as far as taking your own nappies, pads etc go it's a matter of common sense and personally if I were going to be using formula I would expect to take my own. IMO the NHS is there to provide a free MEDICAL service which is what they do so the fact that they don't provide you with the things you need to care for yourself and your baby after birth doesn't really bother me

Do many ladies really go in without nappies/supplies etc?! id never expect the hospital to give me loads of things.

hehe probably not.... but just knowing it's there should you need it is a nice safety net!

and i guess if you went into labour really early and hadn't that type of thing gathered up and packed yet it would be nice to know they supplied it (even at a cost) should you need it for the first day or so, til you got someone dispatched to the shops to buy all the essentials for you...

I suppose it's just one of those things that only seems shocking now coz it's changing.... in a few years it will just be another standard practice that noone will blink and eye at....

Anybody whos admitted to hospital is entitled to meals ... they dont turn round n say bring in your own food. So why should it be any different for babies? Ok yes i understand the motives behind doing it. I breastfed both my children but i also enjoyed having the peace of mind that if the breastfeeding didnt work other supplies are available.

To take in your own milk might even stop a mother attempting a breast feed in first place, as the decision of whether you want to breastfeed or not has to be made before you go into hospital.

Just another view point. I think its very unfair to deny a baby of what is there food intake - which every other patient in hospital gets for free.

That is crap, what if your gonna BF then actually can't for some reason. You won't have taken milk in with you. Do they let baby starve? I bet they have some just in case.

out of interest hevz, do you know if its standard practise at stepping hill to keep you in longer if you're breastfeeding? i've been told at st mary's they try to get you out after about 6 hours after you've given birth, but my m/w told me that they'll keep me in for 24/48 hours as i'm breastfeeding. which does make sense, so you've got the hang etc. but i just cant help feeling its cos i'm younger. (i'm 20 and most people round here are in their 30s or older that are havin babies)

I don't think hospitals have specific policies....it may depend on who's looking after you.

I have given birth 3 times at St Mary's (and lots of other admissions to the ward during the prgnancies too) and most people seemed to stay for at least a night or two. Goodness, when I was told I could leave, it took all day and lots of pestering for me to escape....they certainly were'nt kicking me out:hissy:

Midwives do usually like to make sure that baby is feeding well and mum is ok too before discharge....which is a good thing. Try to make the most of the midwives and help while it's there....but don't worry too much coz you'll have a 24hour helpline no for when you go home. My 18year old sister had her baby in Stepping Hill last Xmas Day and had a lot of problems and blood transfusions etc coz of the placenta but they still discharged her within 3 days and she was breastfeeding.

Don't get too hung up on how long you may have to stay in for...you will have to see how your birth goes and plan your escape afterwards:rofl:

Good luck, pm me if you like:hugs:

Well that gonna weigh my hospital bag down!!
I dont mind taking my own, but it would be easier if i dident have to.

Anybody whos admitted to hospital is entitled to meals ... they dont turn round n say bring in your own food. So why should it be any different for babies? Ok yes i understand the motives behind doing it. I breastfed both my children but i also enjoyed having the peace of mind that if the breastfeeding didnt work other supplies are available.

To take in your own milk might even stop a mother attempting a breast feed in first place, as the decision of whether you want to breastfeed or not has to be made before you go into hospital.

Just another view point. I think its very unfair to deny a baby of what is there food intake - which every other patient in hospital gets for free.

Those people are ill or unable to care for themselves. Having a baby or being pregnant doesn't make us invalids.

And also, i think people are reading too much into the 'we're not supplying ANY milk' If you go into labour early and don't have any stuff with you then of course they'll provide food for your baby :\ I think it's just in general, people who are planning on using formula should pack some in your hospital bag and not assume you'll be given some for free. I think it's a good idea anyway.

I think as far as taking your own nappies, pads etc go it's a matter of common sense and personally if I were going to be using formula I would expect to take my own. IMO the NHS is there to provide a free MEDICAL service which is what they do so the fact that they don't provide you with the things you need to care for yourself and your baby after birth doesn't really bother me

i agree.. i took everything in for my babies

I dont know what to say , I physically cannot produce enough Milk for my babies i never have been able too .
I tried nipple and breast stimulation and all other ways !!! , My body just doesnt produce enough .
With both mine i was given the glass bottle with milk in from the hospital they provide then through away afterwards .
I have NO problem taking my own in at all , It will mean having to just put in a carton in my bag , I will have loads in weeks running up to birth ... What worries and angers me is ! How the hell in one small room (They asked me to stay in one night with both if mine because of complicated births) the room was tiny with a kettle thats it , So anyway how the hell to i sterilise my bottles and rewash and sterilise them again !!!!! ??? .
I understand the motive behind this on the nhs , And as i said happy to take my own but what about the other aspects who will help when i cannot sterilise my babies bottle or cool down the bottles !! . My microwave sterilise is massive no way can i take that in with me !.

I dont know what to say , I physically cannot produce enough Milk for my babies i never have been able too .
I tried nipple and breast stimulation and all other ways !!! , My body just doesnt produce enough .
With both mine i was given the glass bottle with milk in from the hospital they provide then through away afterwards .
I have NO problem taking my own in at all , It will mean having to just put in a carton in my bag , I will have loads in weeks running up to birth ... What worries and angers me is ! How the hell in one small room (They asked me to stay in one night with both if mine because of complicated births) the room was tiny with a kettle thats it , So anyway how the hell to i sterilise my bottles and rewash and sterilise them again !!!!! ??? .
I understand the motive behind this on the nhs , And as i said happy to take my own but what about the other aspects who will help when i cannot sterilise my babies bottle or cool down the bottles !! . My microwave sterilise is massive no way can i take that in with me !.

Sainsburys, Boots and mothercare do Steri bottles (pre sterilised disposable bottles) I think they're £3.50 for 4

i think how you feed your baby is your choice, i think you should take your on things in but if you run out or need some because you have been rushed in and not been able to bring anything then i think the hospital should provide them

With my daughter it was supplied and was handy but im sure i could of took my own if not! I will be breastfeeding hopefully this time anyway so wont have to worry about it!

Is there anywhere you can buy the pre made bottles? Ive looked on line and it seems you can only get the cartons.
If i cant get them i think i will go with the pre sterilized bottles that bubbles mentioned and the cartons because it just seems like to much hassel taking your own bottles in.

Thanks for that bubbles May be the best idea :) .
I have just took layla to pre school , And took a look at asdas and they sell the glass bottles you get in hospitals they sell them in a little crate thing i think they were £5 ish .
Only problem is they are only in cow and gate and sma so would have to be one of thoose .
And from what i could see they had the rubber teats on them too like the hospital ones :) .
Hope this helps everyone . xx .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->