hospitals stopping providing formula

I'd rather free care then pay huge insurance bills.

You mean rather than the 11% you have taken from your wages every month. Not technically 'free'... in fact the avarage person in the UK is paying more on healthcare that the avarage person living in the US.

I'm not in the UK...

Wow, I sure hope they do have backups for emergencies. Or for people planning on BF who don't take formula and then find for whatever reason they can't.

First of all, I just wanted to say just because someone lives in America and doesn't have healthcare doesn't mean they have to have a "home birth". I haven't lived EVERYWHERE in America, but here we have 'TennCare', which EVERY child receives until they are 1yr old.. and this included all my baby doctor visits when I was pregnant. And it doesn't matter WHAT the parent makes!

Second of all, I can see where they are coming from with providing your own formula AS LONG AS they have stock for emergencies, mothers who wanted to breastfeed but cant, etc.
I wasn't planning on BF anyway, but if I was wouldn't have been able to do so for the first few feeds. I had an emergency C-section and passed out during it; didn't wake up for 2-3 hours.

Although, all our stuff was provided. Diapers (any packs you open you keep) and Formula (it was the 2oz disposables; they even gave us 36 extra little 2oz bottles to take with us), I wouldn't have had a problem with bringing in my own.

It definately isn't free in the uk-we pay all our taxes etc for healthcare. Unless you sign on and are on the dole for all your life i guess-then you're not paying anything.

keely.

But our healthcare is free AT THE POINT OF DELIVERY. We pay taxes to ensure that people who can't work, children, old people etc are not left to suffer or die because they can't afford a doctor - that's the way it used to be before the NHS

and taxes aren't just used for the NHS. There's a heck of a lot of government funded services. Schools for example. Saying 11% of our wages is taken for medical care is ridiculous lol.

i BF my baby so forumula asnt a worry but i took everything in for me and my baby. and i was surprised when they gave me some nappies maternity pads and breast pads. (they cleaned me :blush: after my c section). but formula was avalible for mums who were unable to bf.. i was luckyi had loads of help from the midwives and laction experts.

on another note some one mentioned about meals in hospital. when my soon was in earlier in the week the provided me with meals as i was unable to leave him due to bfing and they took very good care of me and him.

and taxes aren't just used for the NHS. There's a heck of a lot of government funded services. Schools for example. Saying 11% of our wages is taken for medical care is ridiculous lol.

It's our National Insurance contributions that pay for the NHS, but that also pays our pension, so 11% of our earnings covers all that. (Well, no it doesn't, national pensions in crisis and all that, but you get my point)

The ~20% tax we pay (inc. council tax) covers EVERYTHING else.

Without the NHS I don't know what sort of sorry state we'd be in. I'm very grateful for the NHS and I think a lot of people complain unnecessarily about it and have unrealistic expectations from it.

I just can't agree that the hospitals should fork out for formula when a) most women have a natural, free method of feeding their newborn and b) those that choose not to use that method are still the ones responsible for feeding their child. I know that sounds harsh, but ultimately if you are CHOOSING to FF you have to take responsibility for that choice.

I don't expect to get free stuff when I go in to deliver my baby. I can't fathom why anyone would expect extra handouts from an overstretched resource like our NHS.

Like I already said, I'm sure formula will be available for certain circumstances, like if the mother is in the operating theatre if something goes wrong, for example.

National insurance isn't 11% is it?!

In norway they did something even more radical than stopping formula in hospitals - they banned the sale of formula so that its precription only. Everyone has to breastfeed and they only get formula if a doctor gives them a prescription for it because they cant feed for medical reasons.

In norway they did something even more radical than stopping formula in hospitals - they banned the sale of formula so that its precription only. Everyone has to breastfeed and they only get formula if a doctor gives them a prescription for it because they cant feed for medical reasons.

Wow.

I learnt about this in my Breastmates training....they had amazing results didn't they?:dust:

I don't know how I feel about this :-k

I don't know how I feel about this :-k

Me neither. I'm stunned by the "balls" of the decision. I think my opinion rests on what the results are and depending on when this came into force results may still be pending!

Does anyone have any more info?

Also, I think it's totally different to the NHS not providing formula. The mothers still have the choice to bring some in. If it's a nation wide BAN, the choice is taken away, and although I am very pro-breast, I still think every mother should have the choice of how they rear their child. (Except in extreme, violent or abusive situations of course)

i have to say, i dont have an NHS dentist, i've gone private due to mine being shit, so even tho i'm pregnant, i still have to pay £37 for a basic check up. this i dont really mind, cos i'd rather pay and know they were doing my teeth properly. my mum's always been NHS and they said there was no problems, she went to see a private dentist cos she knew there was something wrong and had to pay over £500 just to get the basics sorted.

NHS prescriptions are now ridiculously expensive, over £7 i think. i remember getting a private prescription a few years ago that wasnt much more than that. aside from being pregnant, i cant remember the last time i went to the docs.

so where's my national insurance going???

and i cant believe they've actually banned formula feeding, thats well crazy, what happened to freedom of choice and human rights and allt hat???

i have to say, i dont have an NHS dentist, i've gone private due to mine being shit, so even tho i'm pregnant, i still have to pay £37 for a basic check up. this i dont really mind, cos i'd rather pay and know they were doing my teeth properly. my mum's always been NHS and they said there was no problems, she went to see a private dentist cos she knew there was something wrong and had to pay over £500 just to get the basics sorted.

NHS prescriptions are now ridiculously expensive, over £7 i think. i remember getting a private prescription a few years ago that wasnt much more than that. aside from being pregnant, i cant remember the last time i went to the docs.

so where's my national insurance going???

The same pool that everyone else's goes to that allows EVERYONE access to health care. If you don't like nationilised health care, emigrate.

If you don't like nationilised health care, emigrate.

i have to say, i was only putting my opinion across, as i understand you were too. and FYI, one of our plans after having the baby is to emigrate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->