Houses/planning permissions etc...

Abz1982

Mum to 2 nutters!
Reaction score
I was just wondering..........who would a person speak to about basically, finding out if it is worth getting planning permission on a piece of land/building and if it would increase house worth?

Random I know..............but we have a large garage out the back not attached to our house. It could easily be converted to a small 2 bed 2 story house, but who could advise us if getting the permission to do this would increase the value of our house if both sold together or of costs if sold separately - - as I would guess to sell separate would lower value of house technically, as no longer has a garage.

If you could secure planning permission then I'm sure selling off the land, or converting yourself and selling the new house, would generate more cash than the value you'd lose on your original home if it lost it's garage.

However how close is the garage, how close would access to the new property need to be to your property? Losing a lot of garden/privacy might affect your current house value.

In terms of planning permission it does cost to apply but you should be able to get some initial advice over the phone for free from the planning office. One of the big obstacles to building/planning a second property on your land is access - not only can you fit a driveway in but how easy it is to get onto the road from the driveway - if you live on a busy/fast road this might cause an issue. It'd be a bigger issue if building several houses but even one they have to consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->