Housing benefit question

shirlls

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the UK and was wondering if someone can give me some info about housing benefit. I realise every council may be different but I am guessing most are similar (I am in Glasgow if this helps?).

I have 3 children, a 3 year old and 1 year old twins. as I have nobody near me to help with child care and child care costs I left my work of 7 years after having the twins but hope to return to work in the next 6 months so please don't judge me here, I know I was a bit stupid to get overdrawn the way I have. OH and I private rent and in the mean time have applied for housing benefit to help us for the next few months. OH works full time but has a low wage.

i submitted the application online this morning, but there is something bothering me and would love any clarification on this as spent 25 minutes on hold to the council this morning and gave up. I know any housing benefit gets paid to you unless you are classed as 'vulnerable' and unable to pay your rent.

Due to overexpenditure at Christmas and unexpected outgoings, etc, I am in my overdraft this month until I get paid next week. Please don't judge me here as I am not proud of it, but I am talking -£900 and when I get child tax credits and child benefit in it won't go into the black again HOWEVER I have written up a budget that will have my account back in the black again in the next 2 months. I also have some credit cards I am paying off from my wedding (not massive amounts) but I am worried that they might class me as 'vulnerable' and want my housing benefit paid direct to landlord because of these debts. Not that it would be a major deal but I am just feeling a little uncomfortable about this in case the landlord worries we are unable to pay rent and gives us notice claiming he wants the flat back (this has happened to people we know).

I have never been in arrears or been behind in my rent but obviously being overdrawn does make it look like I cant manage my money (which is true as it was stupid to overspend like that but it wasn't deliberate). My friend thinks they mean people who are behind in their rent or show evidence of not being able to pay at all and as long as I am within the overdraft limit with view of coming out soon I should be ok but I'm not sure?

Can anyone advise? (again, please don't judge me as I am planning on returning to work as soon as I can and hate the fact I am so overdrawn).

As you have a wage coming in the HB may not be 100 percent of your rent.I think in most cases they will pay it to you.

As you have a wage coming in the HB may not be 100 percent of your rent.I think in most cases they will pay it to you.

Sorry I should have said, I am not looking for all my rent, just whatever we are eligible for.

it should not make a difference i have to go bankrupt and its still paid to me x

i wouldn't imagine they would deem you as vulnerable for an overdraft, lots of people live in their overdrafts. However, even if they did it doesn't matter, it's not a reason to reject an application, it just means they would pay directly to your landlord

Usually it's if you've got a history of not paying rent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->