How and when to tell work

Mrs.H2016

Reaction score
Hi all, I assume I should tell work around 10 to 12 weeks but I am not sure how. How did you tell work? I am sure they won't be mad or anything, I just don't feel like walking in my bosses office to say oh by the way I am pregnant like I am not happy or excited about it. This is baby 4 for me but first baby at this job as I just finished my 30 day probation period this week

I'm a little over 12 weeks and I was thinking of telling my bosses this week, but I think I'll wait a few more weeks, once I'm comfortably in the 2nd trimester. I was talking to a friend about this and she said she didn't tell her boss til she was 16 weeks.

I think 12-15 weeks is standard. Legally you technically don't even have to tell them lol. I was hoping to wait until I heard about my rehire status (lost two jobs to pregnancy already), but I realized that's way too late since I counted incorrectly (20w). My two pieces of advice are have a plan and do it with good news. Like I'm a teacher and have everything figured out except for the long term sub. Although I won't even be out long enough to be a Lat just a temp sub. My mom even offered to help for the first few days of school so I can be there to lay down my expectations and then I only plan to be out until baby is old enough for daycare. I'm also expecting a field trip grant check and a foundation grant to come through at the end of the month. So I'm basically going to walk into her office and hand her two checks for a couple grand and say hey btw I'm pregnant! :rofl: nothing says please don't fire me like $2k in fundraising

Just to clarify, if you're in the UK you legally have to tell work. You have until 15 weeks before the baby is due to do so. So no rush!

I am going to wait until 18 weeks at least and try to wait even longer. It's very cold here so I will wear lots of baggy sweaters. As long as possible!

I told work a few years ago, and then had a late loss 2 weeks later. It was horrible to me that they knew and I had to tell them about the loss.
It's an office job, nothing physical that would affect the pregnancy

I told my manager when I was about 4 weeks, but I am in a physical job. Although I only do 12 hours a week. They know all my history of mc's so I wanted to take things a bit easier, such as not going up ladders and lifting for example. They are very understanding and if I start feeling tired or need to sit down I'll do something where I can sit down.

I've told my work place, because I have had bad morning sickness with my last pregnancies so I needed to let them know.

I told my boss last week at 8weeks after an early scan. I would probably have waited until after the 12 week scan but I've been struggling with long days due to carrying twins. My sickness and fatigue is crazy and he was great about it all.

Bx

Just to clarify, if you're in the UK you legally have to tell work. You have until 15 weeks before the baby is due to do so. So no rush!

Thank you for that! I keep forgetting this site is international. Didn't realize OP is from Canada, so you may want to look into if and when you legally have to tell. We have terrible mat leave here in the US but if your employer so much as asks if you are pregnant or comments you look or act pregnant it's like instant lawsuit lol

I told at 5 weeks, just went into my ward managers office and was like 'just thought you should know I'm pregnant'

I work on a really heavy ward and we had a patient with shingles just after I'd told so was for the best that they knew.

I told work early both times, the first time was because you cant work in certain areas when you're pregnant and of course I was asked if I could go into one of these areas right after I found out, so I had to say no I cant.. and then explain why.. it was kinda awkward because I was not prepared! Anyway, the second time everyone knew we were trying (I wanted two close in age) so I told everyone after the 8 week scan and it was just a casual positive announcement to everyone, I didn't tell my supervisor first or anything like that. This time I'm not really sure how to break the news.. This will be my third pregnancy in three years and I've told co-workers we want to have one more but not for awhile, so no one expects it. I have a new supervisor and we're under totally new management. Neither of my bosses have kids (they're animal people). It's just me and two floaters, we've had an open position for awhile and its taking a long time to fill and it takes 6 months or more to train. One of the floaters is on restricted duty from a car accident. I'm just hoping we get someone hired and trained quickly so maybe it will lessen the blow! I know im not going to be able to wait that long though. People are going to think shes pregnant again! Or couldn't she have waited 6 months?!.. sigh, it is what it is though. I cant control what people think. I just have to work that much harder to make up for it

I work for a very small company, it's just my boss and me. Since we spend every day together, she guessed that I was pregnant at about 6 weeks. I won't tell my side job until much later, or just wait until they figure it out from word of mouth.

I told my work straight away due to my history and the fact that my job is so physical, they have been amazing, but it's a big international company so I expect they can afford to do a good job with pregnant staff. I told them last time when I had a loss and they were amazing then as well, didn't let me come back until I was I
ready and I had paid sickness due to loss.

I would say that I would have waited until 8 weeks if I didn't have such a physical job, but I think that loss needs time off work, so if something were to happen it depends on if you think you could go on without letting on, or if it happened at work (like mine did) if its something you could work through?

I have always waited until my first dr appointment. I'm a teacher and we aren't allowed to use sick days to go to the doctor unless there is a diagnosis. So I usually just say to my principal- hey just so you know I am pregnant and so when I take sick days they are just to go to the doctor. Then he always asks if I'm planning on coming back the next year to which I say yes.

I think I'm going to wait until the ultra sound next month and I am closer to 12 weeks. Not sure what I will say mind you lol

I'd planned on leaving it as close to the 12 week mark as possible due to my previous losses. However I had a bleed with this pregnancy at 6+4 so I had to tell my charge nurse as the mw told me to take the week off and relax. After that I told the rest of the nursing team to ensure that a I didn't over do it (12 hour shifts with moving and handling issues) and it sort of trickled through to the care staff as gossip does. Everyone was pleased and they have all been so over protective of me. I told the rest of the staff (rehabilitation therapists and office workers) once I hit the 12 week mark.

i'll tell work relatively early for the sake of risk assessments, maybe about 14 weeks.

I told my boss around 5-6 weeks. I work very closely with her and was already feeling crummy so wouldn't have been able to hide it. I had some spotting and needed time off for appts so I was glad she knew. I told my team around 8 weeks. I work in a small office with a close knit group of women, most of them already suspected and have been nothing but supportive! I won't tell anyone outside of the department for another couple of weeks.

I was thinking the same thing, I've never been in work when I was expecting my others, but this time I'm a personal trainer I'm a busy gym

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->